Sign in to follow this  
chinster1957

Challenger 2020 Spare Wheel

Hi. Has anybody tried to remove the spare wheel from the front locker? It’s too large inflated to get under the locker hinge without moving it   at  a sharp angle. Even then you have to remove both gas bottles and the gas bottle restraint closest to it.

I reckon the easiest way might be to let some air out first which isn’t ideal. How do others get on?

Cheers. Steve.

Silly questions:

(a) is it the right size/type of wheel rim - the size should be stamped on it?

(b) is it the right sized tyre?

(c) is it located in the proper place in the locker?

Yes to all 3 questions.

We used to have a carrier under the rear of the 'van, BPW chassis, however the mover had to be fitted behind the axle so we "lost" the carrier. Now our spare travels in the car when we are away, the rest of the time it lives inside the 'van. B)

• I agree completely 1

If you let the air out I do not think the tyre diameter would reduce unless you squashed it. We had a caravan where the spare went in the front locker at one side and for removal it had to be first moved to the middle so other things were moved out of the way but not the gas bottle retaining strap. I cannot remember but it might have helped if the wheel was lifted up and its lower edge moved out of the locker first or its top edge moved out of the locker first before lifting. Our current caravan had the spare in a frame under the chassis but I took it out and it is kept inside the caravan but on site is put in the boot of the car.

Hi. Its not possible to roll it to the centre as it fouls on the top hinge. A really stupid design.

Have you asked your dealer? Have you asked on Swift Talk where  its more likely  to be known?

Hi Ern. Sent an email to the dealer and awaiting their reply. I have also posted the same question on SwiftTalk. At the moment I’m getting more responses from you guys. Steve.

2 hours ago, chinster1957 said:

Hi. Its not possible to roll it to the centre as it fouls on the top hinge. A really stupid design.

I am trying to visualise it and I think its slightly different to our 2016 Challenger. I imagine that you have tried to roll it to the centre with the bottles or at least the bottle holdrers in place, so its too far forwards?  I have seen some models Sprite I think with the bottles towards one side and the spare on the other. The spare is well back close to the bulkhead so clear of the hinges, and tips forwards. Perhaps the dealer can relocate the bottles and wheel. Wheel in the centre and a bottle each side may be better. (Typical Swift!)

As you look into the locker, the spare wheel is at the far left with the two gas bottles in the centre. There is a large bracket that hold the gas strut for the door to the right of the spare. The problem is the wheel will not pass under this bracket to get the spare to the centre of the hole. 

Edited by chinster1957
Spelling