Mandatory MOT testing to be reintroduced from 1 August

As the title says:-

Mandatory MOT tests for car, motorcycle and van owners in England, Scotland and Wales to be reintroduced to keep roads safe

drivers encouraged to book a test in advance to ensure vehicles are in a roadworthy condition; vehicle owners with an MOT due date before 1 August will still receive a 6-month exemption.

Mandatory MOT testing is to be reintroduced from 1 August 2020 as COVID-19 restrictions are slowly lifted, Roads minister Baroness Vere said, "As people return to our roads, it is vital that motorists are able to keep their vehicles safe. That’s why as restrictions are eased, from 1 August MOT testing will again become mandatory. Garages across the country are open and I urge drivers who are due for their MOT to book a test as soon they can. If drivers are vulnerable or self-isolating they should contact their local garage as many are offering pick-up and drop-off services, so drivers can get their car checked without having to visit a garage."

Link to original publication

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

Definitely a good thing, as although i appreciate that everywhere is different, most garages near where i live remained operational throughout this lockdown period, and even though i do  understand that everyone's circumstances aren't the same, i wouldn't say this exemption was fully warranted in most cases, and given that i've worked in a garage as an apprentice years ago and seen first hand some hideously dangerous cars come in for remedial work after failing an MOT, it's even more important that vehicles that have gone over do get checked, as there are a great deal of people who treat the annual test as the only road-worthiness check done on their vehicle, with no thought of any maintenance or servicing during the rest of the year being needed or even checked, some don't even lift the bonnet.

8 minutes ago, clarkey1984 said:

Definitely a good thing, as although i appreciate that everywhere is different, most garages near where i live remained operational throughout this lockdown period, and even though i do  understand that everyone's circumstances aren't the same, i wouldn't say this exemption was fully warranted in most cases, and given that i've worked in a garage as an apprentice years ago and seen first hand some hideously dangerous cars come in for remedial work after failing an MOT, it's even more important that vehicles that have gone over do get checked, as there are a great deal of people who treat the annual test as the only road-worthiness check done on their vehicle, with no thought of any maintenance or servicing during the rest of the year being needed or even checked, some don't even lift the bonnet.

my neighbour being one, his mot was 7 1/2 months out of date before he got his done, pervious one was a couple of months out of date. Only reason he got it done this year was because he could not tax it. police not that interested as no mot does not invalidate insurance or warrant point on licence.

last time I had a vehicle fail an mot, I'm not sure I've had a vehicle fail.

macafee2

Our run around car mot was due 19june.i know u get extra 6 months but got it done last Wednesday passed ok. Said to mot guy I know u get extra 6 months but for age of car (11 years) I’d get it done to make sure all ok. he said the only ones that aren’t getting mot are the cars that aren’t going to pass.