Sign in to follow this  
Vaguely

Service stations & travelling

We’re heading to our static on Saturday, yay! 😁It’s a 200 mile journey, mainly on motorways.

Just been having a chat about best time to leave home, what to do about service station stops, and the journey generally.

For a number of reasons we can’t head off early morning as we would normally do, so probably intend to leave home about 4pm.

Given it’s being referred to as Super Saturday, with the roads expected to be very busy, and the fact we would probably have to stop at least once at a service station, what time would you leave home?

And what are service stations like these days? 

2 minutes ago, Vaguely said:

We’re heading to our static on Saturday, yay! 😁It’s a 200 mile journey, mainly on motorways.

Just been having a chat about best time to leave home, what to do about service station stops, and the journey generally.

For a number of reasons we can’t head off early morning as we would normally do, so probably intend to leave home about 4pm.

Given it’s being referred to as Super Saturday, with the roads expected to be very busy, and the fact we would probably have to stop at least once at a service station, what time would you leave home?

And what are service stations like these days? 

Where are you travelling to and from?

• Like 1

I stopped in Gordano services on the M5 last week and they’re definitely taking it seriously. All seating areas had been cordoned off or in some places removed. There was a one way system and plenty of staff monitoring. It felt quite strict but well policed, so quite comforting.

We’re travelling north to south.

Thats very reassuring B3, must admit it’s the service station stops which concern me the most. Stricter the better for me!

We have actually bought some things to use for a pee in the car, if necessary, some kind of crystals in them which turns liquid to gel, but would only use them as a last resort.

I don't know your route, but I feel the newer service stations are more spacious and possibly safer.

For the M5 southbound Gloucester services are excellent should you want to schedule a stop.

• I agree completely 1

Ha ha Dave, I’m not sure of the route either if I’m honest 🙃

I get myself settled on the back seat with the dog, both of us with our seatbelts on, and just enjoy the ride. I sometimes ask other half what motorway we’re on or how far to the next services, but other than that..

He’s just told me M6, M6 toll, M40 🤔

Then you may know the M6 Toll services which is very large but can be very very busy.

Yep Graham, we rarely stop at them.

We do have our three favourite ones but I was just wondering, generally, what service stations are like during the virus in terms of keeping people safe, etc.

Just been having another chat and decided 4pm is when we’ll set off and just take it as it comes, could be lucky or unlucky regarding traffic and busy service stations 🤷‍♀️

Personally, if I go into a service station to use the loo and feel uncomfortable I’ll just walk out and we’ll find a suitably distant and quiet spot in the car park to use our ‘on board’ facilities. I’m not prepared to put myself at any risk, being pretty vulnerable in health terms.

What an adventure 🙄

Only had to visit a motorway service station once during this period (Hartshead Moor on M62) but it was very well organised and controlled to maintain social distancing.

Have had to do a couple of fairly long droves recently both down to the South West and found motorway and A road services open, clean and very well organised, I did stop at Fleet services south bound on the M3 at about 06:30 and it was all pretty spooky as there were only 2 cars in the car park and me and a couple of truck drivers in the whole place, mind you this was a couple of weeks ago when nothing opened till 9am, might be a bit different now with stuff opening up.

Suffice to say, you will be fine, if you dont fell comfortable with your surroundings walk away... My thoughts are things might change a bit when you get more footfall in the services i.e. coaches etc. so a bit more vigilance may need to be taken by those of us that are responsible

Thank you Knaus and Jacko.

I’m feeling more reassured by the minute and really appreciate all the responses as I’ve been quite anxious about the journey down 👍😊

Rather than travel on the Saturday I would go on the Sunday. In a normal year the M6 south is busy on Saturday but if suddenly everyone is allowed to go on holiday this Saturday then I would expect it to be bad. Providing an approx from and to destinations without giving it away might help since a 200 mile trip could be 2/3 the length of England

Hopefully all the covidiots will be stuck in traffic jams on Saturday and won't get to anywhere where they can wreak havoc.  

We’re very keen to go on Saturday as we have family coming to see us at the caravan on the Sunday, including our nine month old grandson who we’ve not seen since March. 

We’re just going to bite the bullet and go for it. It’s not so much the amount of traffic on the roads, with queues etc., which was concerning me, it was what the service stations will be like, not having been near one since lockdown began. Who knows, we may even do the journey with a non stop strategy, it has been known! 

Anyhow, thanks again everyone 😊

22 hours ago, Vaguely said:

We’re very keen to go on Saturday ......

Who knows, we may even do the journey with a non stop strategy, it has been known! 

Anyhow, thanks again everyone 😊

If it is busy, 200 miles and if at average 20 to 30 mph I think you might not last without stopping, I could not. Just have to see how it goes on the day and stop as needed. Service stations tend to be busiest around meal times so 12 to 2 pm could be avoided.

Edited by Paul1957

Well Paul, lets just say we all have..err..different capacities! 😉

We’ve done the drive down to the caravan many, many times over the eight years we’ve had it and the longest it’s ever taken us was just over six hours, which I must admit was a blooming nightmare. It was due to a bus catching fire and the motorway grinding to a halt for a couple of hours.

It usually takes us anywhere between three and four hours, depending on how many pit stops are required. And we’ve done it twice, setting off early evening, with no stops at all! 

Im not expecting Saturday’s journey to be a breeze but if it takes us ten hours I’ll be very surprised 😯

You never know, everybody else may have thought that Saturday will be so busy that they'll wait until Sunday or Monday, and you'll have the service stations pretty much to yourself.

Safe journey, and enjoy your home-from-home again.

You could be right 2seaside, that’d be great!

Thank you for your good wishes, the thing I’m looking forward to the most, apart from making it down there safely, is getting my hands on our grandson again 👶although he’ll probably wonder who these two strangers are and start crying 🙁

Are you a tourer or a static owner? Any plans yourself??

4 hours ago, 2seaside said:

You never know, everybody else may have thought that Saturday will be so busy that they'll wait until Sunday or Monday, and you'll have the service stations pretty much to yourself.

Safe journey, and enjoy your home-from-home again.

Everyone might be off to the pub, now there's a thought B)