What do you tow with and what mileage on the clock?

31 minutes ago, WispMan said:

The pedant in me says 117 yrs. 

Not pedantic, it’s true.

I blame my age, I’ve got too much of it now :rolleyes:

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Were they really only 40bhp? No wonder the old J2 vans struggled up hills, even when empty!!    Morris Marina, a very advanced car for the 1950’s Trouble was they were selling them in the 19

How's this for a combo?  MGBGTV8. . I've still got the car but the 1984 caravan is long gone. . 

lol yes i suppose, only mods are leccy windows and remote locking, cant add many pics as website wont let me, pm me if u like, 1.6 pinto all factory setup minus the above mensioned,,,,,,,,i will remov

Posted Images

It is incredible when you consider what we had back in the 70's alright.

Advances in CAD, ECU software control and precision engineering have improved things to the point where they really have squeezed as much as they can out of the internal combustion engine. But even with all this, the best efficiency still only hovers around 40% after losses in heat and gearing etc.. I wonder how towing with EV's will work out ?

Started my apprenticeship in the motor trade too in 1972 and retired 3 years ago. :-)  I tow with a 16 year old T5 Transporter I've had since new.  It's the 174hp turbo diesel  manual version already mentioned and has 120,000 miles on it now.   I tow a Lunar Delta 520 and it can cruise at just about any speed you like.  It never does more than 25 mpg  and never less than 22 mpg.  It is very stable indeed and being a van has the benefit of  being able to be loaded up with electric bikes and any other fun things you might want.  It has A/C and cruise control which makes a huge difference on very long European trips.  

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Diesel engines in cars were almost unheard of (except for Peugeot who did a few, but they were normally aspirated and totally gutless! 

Don't forget the most popular British diesel engined car of that era, the Standard Vanguard, which used the same engine as the Ferguson tractor!

• Like 1

i have a 1992 Ford Sierra 1.6 with 118000 for towing my small trailer and a 2004 Ford Focus 2.0 with 103000 for towing my 1050 mtplm Elddis Pamperos xl i get 32mpg on solo and no idea towing but it does do very well on fuel towing

20180324_125656.jpg

Edited by robbie244
2 hours ago, Leedslad said:

I wouldn't say that 45K is a high mileage for a diesel engine.  It should do three times that if given regular servicing .        

I used to be a moderator on a Citroen/Peugeot forum and one of my fellow moderators ran an independent PSA garage.   He also ran a fleet of taxis made up of Citroen C5's.   Nearly all his vehicles had done in excess of 200K miles.   I remember he broke one, not because it had done nearly 500K, but simply because the interior was getting shabby.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Our Korando is 41/2 years old and 50k miles. So far, apart from servicing by the dealer, it's had pads and discs all round, a set of Cross climate tyres at 37000 miles when the wheels were changed under warranty, wipers all round and a key battery. Oh, and a new battery the other week. Wife can't wait to get the caravan(around 1500kg) hitched up again, but we're in Leicester, so we might have to! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Diesel engines in cars were almost unheard of (except for Peugeot who did a few, but they were normally aspirated and totally gutless!

Edit............ Post removed.

Edited by Jaydug

Jaydug

I know!!

I was referring to the early 70’s not the late 70’s onwards ! 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

29 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I was referring to the early 70’s not the late 70’s onwards ! 

In that case what I've posted is irrelevant - hence the edit.

Edited by Jaydug

Think the 2.3 Peugeot 604 was the first mass produced turbo diesel. Had a petrol automatic 504 seven seater estate for a good few years. A very sturdy, comfortable vehicle with a very smooth ride. Very prone to rust though. 

Discovery 2   auto,  towing a Coachman 520/4   160,000 miles

Towing mpg is better than round town mpg

A previous Discovery ( 1 ) manual had 250,000 miles on it

Edited by Discool

We have a 2019 MY20 G01 BMW X3 xDrive 20d M Sport (190ps - 400nm torque) towing a 2017 Compass Camino 660 - 85% on the 'ratio'

BMW's only done around 2000 miles thanks to Covid19

Towing - around 26-28mpg

Normal driving - around 40-45mpg

Considering our Camino is 1800kg MTPLM the X3 is very sprightly with it attached

ct.jpg

Tow car -  2019 MY20 G01 BMW X3 xDrive 20d M Sport 

Caravan -  2017 Compass Camino 660                               

85% On The 'Ratio'

1 hour ago, robbie244 said:

i have a 1992 Ford Sierra 1.6 with 118000 for towing my small trailer and a 2004 Ford Focus 2.0 with 103000 for towing my 1050 mtplm Elddis Pamperos xl i get 32mpg on solo and no idea towing but it does do very well on fuel towing

20180324_125656.jpg

You can't tell us that you own a Sierra and then not post a photograph of it, that's just teasing, a 1992 car is right on the changeover year as well, so i guess could be either a pinto or a CVH.

Edited by clarkey1984
2 hours ago, clarkey1984 said:

You can't tell us that you own a Sierra and then not post a photograph of it, that's just teasing, a 1992 car is right on the changeover year as well, so i guess could be either a pinto or a CVH.

lol yes i suppose, only mods are leccy windows and remote locking, cant add many pics as website wont let me, pm me if u like, 1.6 pinto all factory setup minus the above mensioned,,,,,,,,i will remove this post if people dont want  it here

show.jpg

Edited by robbie244
  • Like 3

2011 XC60 with just shy of 140k on the clock. Got it on 60k 4 years ago but my wife does a lot of miles and other than wearables and servicing it’s cost next to nothing. To be honest I really fancy a XC90 but I’d want the hybrid and they are still a lot of money that I just can’t justify when the XC60 has nothing wrong with it other than a highish number on the dash.

• Like 1

2010 Lunar Delta Ti pulled by a 2012 Volvo XC60 D3 AWD remapped to 210bhp & 501Nm

As below. 2005 X-Trail with around 85k on the clock. Mainly used for holidays. Last time I checked 27mpg towing and around 42mpg solo on a run

• Like 1

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

22 hours ago, robertB said:

2017 Zafira tourer 2.0 litre GSI  (yes there is such a thing) 27000 miles   Tows our 1350 kg caravan like a balloon on a string:) 

I'm interested in this. Didn't know there was a GSI model in the Zafira C/Tourer lineup.Got a 2017 model myself, but a 1.4 turbo petrol. 

Volvo V70 2.4 Geartronic 09  93000. Towing  Lunar Venus 620/6  MTPLM  1480.

Volvo tows 28mpg,  38 mpg solo

2008 Mercedes GL 420CDI, 4wd Auto 115k miles seats 7 comfortably. It towed our Avondale Golden Eagle well for a few years before we sold it, and we just upgraded to a Swift Conqueror 630. Not much it can't pull to be honest. Before that we had a Rav4 4.3 with the 2.2 Turbo Diesel and 6 speed auto box. That towed the Golden Eagle all over France a quite few times, but I felt it struggled a bit in the mountains. The Merc can be temperamental when compared to the Toyota but I did get a new engine in the Rav at 108k and change the clutch and gearbox in the 8 years we had it (sold it at 230k miles). The mechanic that bought it still uses it today! 

4 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

I'm interested in this. Didn't know there was a GSI model in the Zafira C/Tourer lineup.Got a 2017 model myself, but a 1.4 turbo petrol. 

I know it seems a bit odd,  the badge on the back says CDTi  but the side badges. the V5 and all the receipts say GSI. ( I got it new but pre registered to dealer, had 4 miles on clock)  The trim and equipment level is certainly GSI, the engine is 2.0 litre 180 bhp turbo diesel with a top speed of 129 mph.

It's been a great car so far and a brilliant towcar although I didn't buy it as such at the time.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, robbie244 said:

lol yes i suppose, only mods are leccy windows and remote locking, cant add many pics as website wont let me, pm me if u like, 1.6 pinto all factory setup minus the above mensioned,,,,,,,,i will remove this post if people dont want  it here

If you want to post more pictures you first need to edit them to compress their file size.

In the 1970s engines did not need to last too long since the body work  rusted away first.

Edited by Paul1957
  • Like 1

2012 Astra hatchback 2.0 Sri diesel 144k miles. 1300 kg caravan so supposedly 89% ratio. Tows fine no issues, mileage these days IMO isn't an issue it's much more age and care. My car has spent most of it's life doing motorway miles, oil changed ever 10k. Too many people would buy a 5 yr old 20k car over a 3 year old 60k and to me that's crazy there far to many cars with haircuts.

The only effects IMO assuming care is taken with mileage is wear on bushes and clutch. Most modern engines will go for longer than the body will.

Clutches are an interesting issue though, mine had a new one at 5k (before I bought it it was a hire car) so do you say a clutch life is down to milage? I dont think I'll ever need to replace mine and it's done 139k on its second clutch. 

It’s clever marketing from car manufacturers that encourage people to change cars long before they become an issue.

Most warranties run out after 3 years or 60,000 miles. I see 60,000 miles as just being run in!

My current A4, that I will be selling for our new towcar is currently on 115k and I wouldn’t be getting rid except for the fact it won’t tow what we want. I’ve had many company cars go to 150k+. Generally the only issue I’ve ever had is with car air conditioning systems failing.

My next car will be an A6 Avant with a shade over 50k on the clocks. I’m hoping given the future of ICE vehicles that it will see us through to 200k miles towing and for work.

The secret is oil changes every 10k miles irrespective of manufacturer guidelines - 20k servicing intervals is only for the benefit of fleet managers who want to reduce costs of managing their fleet. Keep it serviced and maintained - happy days!

1 hour ago, Bodster said:

It’s clever marketing from car manufacturers that encourage people to change cars long before they become an issue.

Most warranties run out after 3 years or 60,000 miles. I see 60,000 miles as just being run in!

My current A4, that I will be selling for our new towcar is currently on 115k and I wouldn’t be getting rid except for the fact it won’t tow what we want. I’ve had many company cars go to 150k+. Generally the only issue I’ve ever had is with car air conditioning systems failing.

My next car will be an A6 Avant with a shade over 50k on the clocks. I’m hoping given the future of ICE vehicles that it will see us through to 200k miles towing and for work.

The secret is oil changes every 10k miles irrespective of manufacturer guidelines - 20k servicing intervals is only for the benefit of fleet managers who want to reduce costs of managing their fleet. Keep it serviced and maintained - happy days!

It's nothing to do with "marketing" it's the fact that 80% of private cars are bought on Personal Contract, which means that they have a "choice" to make at the end of the 3 or 4 year deal.  Either stump up the balloon payment to "own" the car, give the car back, or (as most do) start a new contract on a new car.  It's how you see so many younger people driving much better cars than one would expect...  At some point this finance model will blow up in  both the consumer and the trade's faces.  The only benefit is that it does result in a ready supply of low mileage recent used cars, particularly when the consumer defaults...

Two of my last 3 cars have fitted into that category...

• I agree completely 1

Larry from Essex

2019 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera 2017 Kuga 2. 0 TDCi 150