ged600

What do you tow with and what mileage on the clock?

Hi all,

I tow with a Mondeo 2.0 D 138 BHP 2013, 45000 miles fsh  etc etc. Tow a Sterling sport 554.

Do high mileage cars make good tow cars or are they past there sell by date.

Do you tow with 4x4, SUV, Van, estate, saloon. etc

Just curious, thanks

Land Rover Discovery Sport, 2017 . 35636 on the clock!

Tows like a dream, and always 30+ mpg.

Edited by PR1

Ten year old remapped Skoda Yeti 4x4  175bhp 420nm 140,000miles

Sterling Europa 460 as well as various boats and other trailers.

Can't fault the Yeti pulls like a train and even has reasonable mpg when towing.

Edited by Idleness

Most modern cars are good for 150K miles if the oil and filter are changed regularly as that’s the engines life blood. (Clutches and brakes don’t last that long of course) 

I am in the fortunate position of being to change my car fairly regularly these days but many tow caravans with some, shall we say, more “mature vehicles” without any issues. I think the two major points to bear in mind is to ensure the car has enough torque (grunt) to tow whatever is hanging off the back without too much strain and to be gentle with the throttle and brakes. 

My tow car is a 3 year old Mazda 6 estate auto, 35K miles,  oodles of torque, loads of toys, very comfy,  turns in around 28mpg when towing my 1500Kg caravan. This is third one of these I have owned, first was a manual, then swopped to an auto, and then hit another auto. I will never go back to a manual especially for towing.

Andy

• Like 1

More important than how much a car has been used is how well it has been used.

Steady, even fast, long motorway journeys with care, put far less wear than many short journeys treated badly.

Edited by Stevan
  • Like 1

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel, 382 bhp, max torque 850 Nm, 23000 miles towing 2000kg Knaus Starclass 695.

Fantastic tow vehicle and great to drive when not towing.

2019 Ford Transit dciv Limited auto 190bhp 14,000 miles quick,quiet all the mod cons . Also a 2007 VW Transporter Kombi 2.5 tdi 4 motion manual 174bhp 140,000 miles still quick not so quiet no mod cons but tows the best very stable plus benefit of 4 wheel drive.Both have 6 seats and loads of room in the back for all the stuff we take . 2018 Bailey Unicorn Valencia.

Mercedes E Class Convertible 3.0 V6 diesel circa 50k miles towing a Lunar Freeelander twin axle at 1700kg mtplm.

As for mileage I have to agree, how the car has been looked after and used is perhaps more important than the numbers on the clock, though I do tend to go for cars with chain driven cams rather than belts. My other car, which towed the old single axle van is a Honda CRV 2.0 petrol which is not heavy enough, powerful enough or rated to tow the new van, but it pulled the old one all over the UK and Europe with in excess of 200,000 miles on it, most of which were done using LPG and it's never once let me down. 

Edited by PMW

I had a company car for many years, all on 3 or 4 year leases averaging 30K a year and all were fine, last ones were Mercedes C class estates and a 5 series BMW. I now run my own car, 2018 Volvo V90 D4 with 20K on the clock towing a 2018 Sprite Quattro twin axle. It’s a lovely car, excellent with the caravan on the back as an 88% match and returns 60mpg on my commute to Swindon & back once a week.

Our tow car is reserved for towing and for when a lot of stuff needs moving and is kept garaged to help preserve it. We have another car for the day to day trips. I've had it 8½ years and still like it, tows well, lots of room, self levelling suspension which helps a lot. As a result whilst it is 13 years old it has only done 36k miles and is in good condition so will last a long time yet. Only reason to change would be if the caravan was changed for a lighter one and then we could even go to one car. With this in mind our last car change was from  a Citroen C4 hatchback to a Peugeot 308 estate. Current tow car is a 2007 Citroen C5 estate, 2.2 hdi, mass in service 1680 kg, caravan MTPLM 1499 kg. The engine is euro 4 (with a dpf) but since it does low miles and rarely goes through towns the pollution aspects are not of a major concern unless authorities do something.

First tow car I had was a Saab 900i petrol which had 190k miles on it when replaced, second a Saab 9000 petrol with 150k miles when replaced, so not too bothered about high miles but these took up a lot of time doing repairs.

• Like 1

My tow car is a LR Defender which is nearly 25yrs old with over 140,000 miles. I've owned it for 15yrs and love it. But it doesn't get much use lately so I'm reluctantly thinking of selling it as the wife has a company VW Tiguan which tows great.

2016 Ford Kuga (2 wd) 2.0ltr

Venus 504/4

46,000 miles

Don't know about the towing bit.  I've only ever been the passenger when towing.  I'll let you know at the beginning of August when I get back from my first time of towing

2011 Land Rover Discovery 4 owned from new, with 60K on the clock.

256 BHP and 600 Nm torque, so tows our 1500kg Fleetwood quite well. Only does 22 mpg towing and VED is £555 per annum which is why I have done a SORN.

Wifey's Polo VED is £20 per annum, but even that doesn't get used much currently.

2016 Hyundai Santa Fe bought new just done 25K. We are retired so its mainly used for towing as we have a Mini as well.

1997 Volvo V90 3.0 petrol estate with 225,000 miles, pulling 1800kg twin axle Bailey Unicorn.

Reliability is legendary, fuel consumption is dire, 24mpg solo, 15 - 16mpg towing

Had it many years now, and no intention of changing it.

Edited by 1164 County
  • Like 1

I can outdo the majority of you: my day car is a double cab hilux (Toyota) which I bought new in 1992! Now on 280,000Km; my tow vehicle is a 2003 Toyota Prado with 236,000km. The Hilux fits me like a glove, is normally aspirated so it goes nowhere fast with a 2.4 diesel but the upside is no  speeding tickets. I keep it in pristine condition and get many comments about its condition. Currently towing a local kiwi caravan - a 2008 model - short one at around 4.4m body length and which weighs 1500kg! The local builds are like the Aussie ‘vans - heavy and sturdy.  They are slightly wider And have slightly more headroom than most UK ‘vans. What I don’t like is the joinery consisting of heavy solid MDF. The table (pictured) which does not have a stowage weighs 12.4kg for instance. I am proposing to take to the underside with a router and remove all but the parts of it which Support the legs. I’m thinking I could probably take out 6 kg of surplus MDF! 

No 39 gate 3 IMG_5526.JPG

Caravan Road Caddie 3 530659253.jpg

Caravan Road Caddie 1 525442378.jpg

Caravan Road Caddie 525443086.jpg

Edited by John Lee
Added text, removed picture
  • Like 2

30,740 miles on the dial with 2,000kgs followed close behind.

20200630_062108.thumb.png.b7a48834ce8312811084983f0c289157.png

• Like 1

VW Touareg Escape towing a Knaus Starclass 695.  Sadly, the Escape was discontinued in 2016, otherwise I would have replaced it with a new one, by now -  so I'm hanging onto it.  44k miles on the clock and it's the best tow car I have owned. Raised and stiffened suspension, low ratio box, diff locks etc - a brilliant off-road vehicle and very useful on muddy CLs! That V6 is so smooth and powerful and returns top 30s solo and 24mpg towing.

IMG_0766.jpeg

My previous car was a Audi a8 4.2tdi with 150.000 towed very well and gave good economy, But didnot like sitting low down whilst towing.

Now have a 57plate Merc GL 420cdi with 115.000 miles, Not yet really towed anywhere yet, As only bought at beginning of lock down.

MPG never sees above 25. Use sons car Audi a2 he hasn't passed his test.

David

My current tow vehicle is a 2015 VW T6 Kombi highline towing a 2017 Bailey Pegasus Ancona.

I also tow on occasions with my 2019 VW Passat GTE hybrid . Both tow the Ancona fine but the T6 has more room for stuff.

Currently I have a BMW X3  I Line 2.0D, i bought it new late November and have done just under 5000 due to Covid-19, not towed with it yet but know it will tow our Coachman brilliantly as this is my third X3, Love them

Ford Edge Sport 4x4 2017 180-Bhp (1912kg kerb) tugging a Lunar quasar 674 twin axle (lightweight @ 1530kg gross)....15k on the clock owned from new-just over 3 years old.

Edited by charlieboy2608

I tow with a 2016 3.0D Audi Q7 268bhp , 40K miles.

I tow a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald 4 berth.

Great thread! Some interesting cars on here, particularly like the 1997 Volvo V90 estate. My 2018 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi (estate) was not intended to be a tow car when I bought it. It only has around 24000 miles. Great performance solo and towing. Great economy solo, terrible economy towing (16 - 24mpg dependant on conditions). 😁

Do people reduce the towing ratio the more miles a car has? Obviously weights don't change but suspension, steering and brakes could have reduced performance with 100k+ miles. 

8 minutes ago, swirly182 said:

Do people reduce the towing ratio the more miles a car has? Obviously weights don't change but suspension, steering and brakes could have reduced performance with 100k+ miles. 

Personally, no.  As I said on my response, I had company cars for many years on 3 or 4 year leases and as they approached the end they all had over 100K on the clock and towed the caravan (usually a 92 to 95% match) up and down the country with no problem.  The only car that did play up occasionally was a 2002 Mondeo TDCi estate, from new (when towing in stop/start traffic) the clutch would slip badly for a short distance, then it went away.  It did this from new and had 125,000 on the clock when it went (same clutch).