Dometic fridge on our 2006 Elddis only gets properly cold on mains

Our Dometic fridge on our 2006 Elddis only gets properly cold on mains. 

Any advice?

The 12v  setting is only designed to keep the fridge cold while towing, not to bring it down to temp, also it is not normally thermostatically controlled as the mains and gas are.

The gas setted is often the  most effective so if this is not working well there may be an issue with it, common faults are blocked gas jets. 

This is general information as I don't have that exact caravan or know which fridge was fitted to it but they all, absorption 3 way fridges work the same way.

May be worth getting a caravan service engineer to service van, if it not been done for a while and let them know your concerns about the fridge, if it has been service recently may still be worth getting one to look at the fridge specifically. 

• Like 1

I in my mid 30's and caravan with my caravaning cat all year.  Honda CRV '65' Plate 1.6 Diesel towing Swift Corniche 15/2E 1995  Hyundai Santa Fe towing Adria Dart (with weight upgrade to 1800 kg)

A van service doesn't normally include a fridge service this is an extra that people often overlook.

A standard service normally only checks that it lights on gas, not that it works properly.

That’s odd! Most fridges work best on gas. 

Dont think they work on 12V as that’s just to try and maintain a temperature when being towed and no 230v or gas is available. 

Andy

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

• 4 weeks later...

If it works on 240v but not on gas.

If you have a flame at the burner then your flue and the internal baffle needs cleaning.