Mike Wild

Water ingress in front locker

Think I might have a solution to this ongoing issue of water getting into the front locker. In 36 years of owning 9 different caravans this 2019 Clubman SB is the first caravan where I have had this problem, despite Lunar saying it’s an acceptable build feature.

I picked up the DIY fix of putting a piece of wood inside at the top in the middle of the locker to push the frame out a fraction which has helped but the main fix has been adjusting the locks on each side as shown in the picture where I’ve brought the latch forward. You need to lean against the locker door a bit more than before to close it but it seems to have worked.

The only caveat I would add is that this has been done on the drive, I haven’t towed in the rain yet so fingers crossed.

FD692CFD-5204-4775-9C85-E004282A65B0.jpeg

0A69B227-C1F2-4544-BEA1-DD21E185C931.jpeg

Edited by Mike Wild
Grammar error

Utterly unacceptable that you should need to do either.

Just because Lunar consider it to be “acceptable” doesn’t mean that the end purchaser has to. If Mr Ford said it’s “an acceptable build feature” for a car door to leak I would doubt  a judge in a county court would not hold the same view ! 

Fit for purpose anyone?

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • I agree completely 1

Good post.

Its not a problem I've encountered but I do like your fix!

33 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Utterly unacceptable that you should need to do either.

Just because Lunar consider it to be “acceptable” doesn’t mean that the end purchaser has to. If Mr Ford said it’s “an acceptable build feature” for a car door to leak I would doubt  a judge in a county court would not hold the same view ! 

Fit for purpose anyone?

Andy

The Owners Handbook 2019

states on page 43:-

“Please note that the Gas Locker Box is not a watertight compartment.”

So Lunar have a get out clause whether we agree with it or not. Unlikely dealer would do anything other than refer me to Handbook so don’t think a judge would side with me! Hence the DIY fix!!  

35 minutes ago, bubble2015 said:

Good post.

Its not a problem I've encountered but I do like your fix!

Think quite a few others have if you put water ingress in front locker into a search engine! Hence me uploading my fix, just hope it stops someone else tearing their hair out- mind you with waiting for a haircut I have plenty to go at!! 🙄

OK, fair comment.

I wasn’t aware of Lunar’s “cop out” clause I bet the didn’t draw purchasers attention to it before concluding a sale though did they?  :angry:

• I agree completely 1

Interesting. My front locker on my clubman also leaks like a sieve. I did think about adjusting the latches, but they already appear to be pulling into the hatch (outside view), so was concerned about adding more pulling force 

4 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

Interesting. My front locker on my clubman also leaks like a sieve. I did think about adjusting the latches, but they already appear to be pulling into the hatch (outside view), so was concerned about adding more pulling force 

I tend to ease the key round and slowly push the door into the frame rather than use any brute force as I agree it needs careful handling. It’s not pulling it out of shape really so fingers crossed 🤞 

To put a stick in to push out the sides means to me there's a stress problem involved by the manufacturer, and they don't have a clue of how to fix it.

But let's ask another question.  How would everyone feel, if the makers of Boeing and Airbus built their planes like caravan manufacturers, so that the likes of Emirates, British Airways, American Airlines, etc, had to do "fix" it jobs?  Would any of you fly?

Edited by Babstreefern
  • Like 1

I doubt if the front locker is totally watertight on any modern caravan 

• I agree completely 1

11 minutes ago, MalH said:

I doubt if the front locker is totally watertight on any modern caravan 

Well MINE is!!

I have a Bailey, and they don’t have a front locker :P

• Haha 1

Our friends certainly get leaks in their locker on their Bailey, though I can find no comment in the latest Bailey hand books that it is not a watertight locker. 

I've never noticed any water ingress in our Lunar's gas locker but the flexibility of the front panel makes locking it a right palaver. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I have a Bailey, and they don’t have a front locker :P

Which is perhaps why they don't make reference in the latest handbooks, if you'd posted five minutes earlier you'd have saved me looking! 

older ones do, whether it leaked from new or is an age thing I don't know. many of us start to leak when we get older. :D

• Haha 1

On our last caravan, had slight leak into gas locker, rather than messing pushing out front panel, applied dark shoe polish to seal lip, closed locker door, when opened could see how much compression or not there was on the seal. Bought some closed cell self adhesive strip from internet and applied around the seal run on locker door, no more leaks.😀

• Like 1

Any leakage is likely to occur in wet weather on the road. On site or in storage I would expect very little or no ingress unless the seals are completely knackered. It makes sense anyway not to store kit in the front locker that might rot from long term exposure to damp.

I had a Clubman until recently and never had any leakage into the front locker either on site or on the road, the locks pulled the locker door in quite a bit but never did any harm. In theory the locker was a good idea with a large door but in practice the lifting struts blocked off quite a bit of usable space .

• I agree completely 1

If the locker door hinges are glued to the door be careful not to put stresses on it that might cause the hinges to come unstuck. Before doing any improvements it is worth cleaning the door sealing area and the opening seal as well as making sure it does not have any folds in it which can prevent making a good seal.

Comments had me worried at 5am about potential stress cracks on the front of the van with me having pulled the latches tighter. Having looked again I can see, as per picture below that the latches actually engage in the metal locker frame inside the caravan as shown. So I think it’s ok. 

EC0ACA13-CB20-4DDD-B1FB-DF0733335280.jpeg

Edited by Mike Wild
Wording

I assume a front gas locker floor is independant/ separate from the living accomodation floor?

Or is there a potential spread of dampness this way?

Oddly enough our two Lunars have been the only ones that did have a watertight front locker. It was never a problem with anything in the lockers and so I just lived with it. The leaks were minor and seemed to be due to towing in heavy rain which is when they would be under most pressure.

The point in the handbook is not a defence to any claim though as it was not brought to your attention before the sale. At the same time it is common to other makes and I am not sure if it can be called a fault, which makes a claim under the CRA less than straight forward. It might even depend on how serious it is.