Silversurf

Worrying rise in Covid in Leicester !

1 minute ago, Easy T said:

I would have thought it fairly easy to police as all that is demanded is that non essential shops that opened on 16th (?) June now close for 2 weeks. The authorities do have a request though ....... only a request request 

People are being urged to make essential journeys only and stay at home as much as they can.

The problem is that the "policing" didn't work last time, this time there will be cries of "but if they can go out, we can go out...…..".  Ultimately Leicester will be the first place to go through this (but they won't be the last) so we'll have to see how it goes, but being fairly local to Leicester and having the in-laws there, I really don't have much confidence.  I hope I'm proved wrong.

• I agree completely 2

18 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

The problem is that the "policing" didn't work last time, this time there will be cries of "but if they can go out, we can go out...…..".  Ultimately Leicester will be the first place to go through this (but they won't be the last) so we'll have to see how it goes, but being fairly local to Leicester and having the in-laws there, I really don't have much confidence.  I hope I'm proved wrong.

Not sure what is in there to be policed Gary. Nothing that I can see and the police can't police governmental requests where there is no law to back those requests.

1 minute ago, Easy T said:

Not sure what is in there to be policed Gary. Nothing that I can see and the police can't police governmental requests where there is no law to back those requests.

You're right and that's probably the underlying reason for the problem, if a request isn't being followed it needs to be made an order which can be policed to make sure it's followed.

I could write a (smallish!) book on the blatant ignorance to all of this that I have personally witnessed over the last couple of months, unfortunately a lot of the offenders are those that really ought to know better.

• I agree completely 2

Heard on the local westcountry news lots of sites are cancelling bookings from Leicester. Wonder why!

7 hours ago, Easy T said:

I think that matter was passed by "the house"today.

• I agree completely 1

29 minutes ago, sureflow said:

Heard on the local westcountry news lots of sites are cancelling bookings from Leicester. Wonder why!

I hope they just focus on the right area, I’m North West Leicestershire which is nearer Derbyshire than Leicester itself.

• I agree completely 3

1 hour ago, GaryB1969 said:

I hope they just focus on the right area, I’m North West Leicestershire which is nearer Derbyshire than Leicester itself.

I guess they might use the area in the Telegraph or similar.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/06/30/leicester-lockdown-map-areas-included-rules/

19 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

To be honest I don't think anyone is laying all of the blame at the feet of any particular part of society or culture, just observations of certain areas, when you add everyone's observations together the magnitude of the problem becomes very apparent.

Well, I won't be popular, but it is *largely* the BAME communities that have been ignoring the advice.  Just yesterday, after the lockdown was announced for Leicester, there was a gathering of people watching a cricket match being played in a public park right in the middle of the spiked area of Leicester.

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 5

fwiw ....

Appalled to hear on the BBC news this morning that the Horse Racing at Leicester (LE2 4AL) went ahead as planned last night.

Exempt to new re-lockdown or did Dom & friends have a nag entered ?

They would last minute cancel if it was weather or safety related.

M

• Like 1

There are business owners in the middle of Leicester who are saying locally that they will NOT shut down again because it's costing them too much money.  

Wealth over welfare.  Outstanding.

• I agree completely 2

11 minutes ago, Talking Flag said:

There are business owners in the middle of Leicester who are saying locally that they will NOT shut down again because it's costing them too much money.  

Wealth over welfare.  Outstanding.

On the News last night there was a woman getting all wound up and asking 

“Why was Leicester being picked on? It’s not fair”

Makes you wonder what’s between the ears doesn’t  it? 

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 3

they said that the police wont be policing Leicester's borders, they will be relying on the common sense of the people  :lol: , so they have shut the schools and closed the  shops  and asked the people  to stay home  and yet  in reality they can travel wherever they want .  There have been other lockdowns , the hospital in Weston and 3 factories, but it seems that Leicester is the one that's making the big news, I actually read that it's because they have terraced houses and therefore live close together. :blink:

• Haha 1

And now it turns out the (Very critical of the Govt) ex Labour MP mayor of Leicester has, for want of a better expression “Done a Valance” and spent several periods of time with his girlfriend at her house many miles from his own during lockdown!

See here for details

Talk about “Do as I say, not as I do” hypocrisy :rolleyes:

Andy 

BE90A346-0469-4A04-8676-8712E581AC1D.png

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • I agree completely 1

57 minutes ago, Talking Flag said:

Well, I won't be popular, but it is *largely* the BAME communities that have been ignoring the advice.  Just yesterday, after the lockdown was announced for Leicester, there was a gathering of people watching a cricket match being played in a public park right in the middle of the spiked area of Leicester.

I totally agree. I don’t understand why many others seem reluctant to state the truth. 

• I agree completely 3

26 minutes ago, joanie said:

they said that the police wont be policing Leicester's borders, they will be relying on the common sense of the people

There is no law for them to police and so people can please themselves

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 2

3 minutes ago, Fat Albert said:

I totally agree. I don’t understand why many others seem reluctant to state the truth. 

Because the race card will be played against them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 3

3 minutes ago, Fat Albert said:

For (the genuine) fear of being labelled RAY-CIST

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 3

Here is a stark reality of the current situation from my perspective as a resident and business owner that happens to have a postcode with the letters LE at the beginning, and anyone sitting on their high horses pointing fingers from a distance pay heed.

Regardless if you did the right thing for the last few months, regardless if you own a business that almost folded because you did the right thing, regardless if you actually live in an area that is outside the boarder of infections.  When this localised lockdown comes to your postcode and there is a high chance it will.  Not just your nearest city, the whole area that has the same letters as the effected city, which in many cases can be miles away from the effected areas.  You might find yourself in a slightly unfair situation that your business that's only just got back on it's feet again, is tarnished with the same brush as the rest of your postcode and customers start cancelling again, and your emails stop pretty much overnight.   You might find you're not welcome outside your postcode, even if the infections happen to be further away from you, than the next county boarder.  You might find any bookings you've made to actually go on holiday or visit a restaurant in your favourite town outside your postcode are cancelled either by private email (the correct way) or publicly on social media (the incorrect way)  All a reality of the current situation.

Don't then start bleating across Facebook or other social media outlets of the injustices, because it won't matter.  The brush has already crossed your path and you are now part of the problem that others can Talk about, assuming you personally were the one having parties in the streets, protesting in your thousands, licking trolly handles, standing 3" away from the person next to you in the street, and generally being the lowest of the low because you happen to live in that postcode. 

Those that have preceded to behave this way across the media and internet will soon realise that Leicester is only the first, and it might be coming to a postcode near you, and all the measures you've personally put in over the last few months, all the sacrifices you've personally made, won't mean squat once this comes to your postcode letters. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 3

52 minutes ago, Fat Albert said:

It was discussed on the BBC news yesterday quite openly.

55 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

For (the genuine) fear of being labelled RAY-CIST

The fear is genuine I agree, and it is stifling genuine discussion and debate on a whole range of subjects and issues. 

And to Alan - It may have been, but I must confess to having switched off to the much of the so-called news lately. Many commenting on this thread have certainly taken efforts to avoid mentioning the elephant in the room. 

Edited by Fat Albert
  • Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

54 minutes ago, Tourershine said:

54 minutes ago, Tourershine said:

Here is a stark reality of the current situation from my perspective as a resident and business owner that happens to have a postcode with the letters LE at the beginning, and anyone sitting on their high horses pointing fingers from a distance pay heed.

Regardless if you did the right thing for the last few months, regardless if you own a business that almost folded because you did the right thing, regardless if you actually live in an area that is outside the boarder of infections.  When this localised lockdown comes to your postcode and there is a high chance it will.  Not just your nearest city, the whole area that has the same letters as the effected city, which in many cases can be miles away from the effected areas.  You might find yourself in a slightly unfair situation that your business that's only just got back on it's feet again, is tarnished with the same brush as the rest of your postcode and customers start cancelling again, and your emails stop pretty much overnight.   You might find you're not welcome outside your postcode, even if the infections happen to be further away from you, than the next county boarder.  You might find any bookings you've made to actually go on holiday or visit a restaurant in your favourite town outside your postcode are cancelled either by private email (the correct way) or publicly on social media (the incorrect way)  All a reality of the current situation.

Don't then start bleating across Facebook or other social media outlets of the injustices, because it won't matter.  The brush has already crossed your path and you are now part of the problem that others can Talk about, assuming you personally were the one having parties in the streets, protesting in your thousands, licking trolly handles, standing 3" away from the person next to you in the street, and generally being the lowest of the low because you happen to live in that postcode. 

Those that have preceded to behave this way across the media and internet will soon realise that Leicester is only the first, and it might be coming to a postcode near you, and all the measures you've personally put in over the last few months, all the sacrifices you've personally made, won't mean squat once this comes to your postcode letters. 

:goodpost::Thankyou:

Very well put and to the point.

Sadly there has been far too much bending over backwards to ' enable ' many folk of all walks of life, religions, cultures, colours, disabilities, sexuality and so on to the extent that we now have the ' entitled folk ', many with chips on their shoulder, who when brought up for say some misdemeanour, or can't get what they want, bring out the race, colour, religion,  disability, sexuality card and what has been done can not be undone.

The effect of this card showing is that people, including the police, authorities of all descriptions and the man in the street are frightened of telling the truth and saying how it is, for fear of being called a racist, bigot etc, so what needed to be said was brushed under the carpet, disregarding the consequences of not taking action.

Consequently we have the paedophiles, gang problems, knife problems, murders and so on, people complaining about the stop and search for knives and other weapons only targeting one or two types because of their colour, no it wasn't it was because these one or two types are the most prominent in committing and being arrested for these crimes !

Edited by Silversurf
  • Like 1
  • I agree completely 7

45 minutes ago, Fat Albert said:

The fear is genuine I agree, and it is stifling genuine discussion and debate on a whole range of subjects and issues. 

And to Alan - It may have been, but I must confess to having switched off to the much of the so-called news lately. Many commenting on this thread have certainly taken efforts to avoid mentioning the elephant in the room. 

Absolutely agree. We have virtually stopped watching and listening to the (so called) news. There is so much political correctness as well as political bias that it has become unfit for purpose.

There are some serious social issues to discuss which most people I know are simply afraid to mention, and hope it will get sorted out one day.  Most people are not right wing or left wing cranks, not racist, not criminals  and not (the law forbids me from saying what they are not). We are being treated as a minority but havent got any minority rights. We cannot discuss these things.  We can't have a good laugh about each other for fear of causing offence. Remember all the Paddy jokes? and whatever happened to Chalky White?  Will that name be deleted from this post?

Edited by Ern
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 3

4 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

On the News last night there was a woman getting all wound up and asking 

“Why was Leicester being picked on? It’s not fair”

Makes you wonder what’s between the ears doesn’t  it? 

Yes - there was that lady, and there are councillors complaining that information wasn't printed in as many languages as it *should* have been, the so-called Lord Mayor has more faces than the clock in Gallowtree Gate (it has 4), but it either doesn't apply to them or it's someone else's fault and, therefore, responsibility.

• I agree completely 2

Don't be so quick in condemning Leicester. 

Most experts say they are just the first, more will follow all around the country, and not very long to wait........

• I disagree 1

Just now, daveat92 said:

Don't be so quick in condemning Leicester. 

Most experts say they are just the first, more will follow all around the country, and not very long to wait........

I await Bradford and Kirklees.