Silversurf

Worrying rise in Covid in Leicester !

As the title, rises showing up now, I wonder what happened a couple or so weeks ago that may have caused it ūü§Ē

Lets wait and see if there are any more hubs turn up around the country !

One thing for sure, if it can be traced back to days on the beach and other such gatherings, who will get the blame I wonder, the idiots, or the government.

They bringing this BAME thing into it now.

As Leicester is about as far from the sea as you can get, and then the closest is Skegness, which hasn't reported being overwhelmed (unlike Bournemouth), and as Skegness is also very popular with many other midlands cities, like Nottingham and Derby, who haven't shown any particular resurgence in Covid, it's unlikely to be beach related.

Leicester has a very mixed population of BAME (who are known to be particularly at risk), many of whom live in small houses in a small area, I would suspect it's simply a case of a bit too much relaxing of distancing in the immediate area.

I hope it's quickly back under control and the numbers drop to zero.

• I agree completely 3

Some of my in-laws live in Leicester, they are part of the BAME group and live in an area where the BAME community are a high percentage of the population.  Since the lockdown first started they reported that the majority were ignoring it and in complete ignorance of social distancing so this hasn't come as a surprise.  Let's just hope the penny drops and they start to abide or they'll face the consequences.

I suspect this topic is in the wrong forum area though!

Edited by GaryB1969
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • I agree completely 1

48 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

I would suspect it's simply a case of a bit too much relaxing of distancing in the immediate area.

Spain is experiencing some localized outbreaks of the virus too.   One of the worst is in Aragon which has been traced to gangs of east European fruit pickers living in close confines with one another.

According to BBC 

Ivan Browne, the city's director of public health, said he had received more detailed data on local cases.

"Interestingly it's very much around the younger working-age population and predominately towards the east part of our city," he told BBC Radio 4.

52 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

Some of my in-laws live in Leicester, they are part of the BAME group and live in an area where the BAME community are a high percentage of the population.  Since the lockdown first started they reported that the majority were ignoring it and in complete ignorance of social distancing so this hasn't come as a surprise.  Let's just hope the penny drops and they start to abide or they'll face the consequences.

I suspect this topic is in the wrong forum area though!

Problem being Gary that yes, folk in some sections of the BAME community, but not all, can be more susceptible to covid, as are many in the non BAME community, due to many factors

But this..............  Since the lockdown first started they reported that the majority were ignoring it and in complete ignorance of social distancing so this hasn't come as a surprise................ is a big part of the problem , the effect on them was noted and publicised in the media relatively early, it only came to light when stats were being studied more closely.

Will the penny drop, it hasn't up to now, no excuse saying they didn't know about it, every man and his dog, cat, parrot and tortoise know about it, it has been publicised in every language used in the UK, constantly so no excuses, buy as always, it will be the Governments fault for some reason or other.

What else can be done to get folk to understand and comply with, the quite simple rules ?

The only thing I can think of is tattooing the word social on one cornea and distancing on the other.

Even then it wouldn't click with some folk.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 4

A lot of smaller grocery shops remained open throughout the supposed lockdown and anyone that has been in one of those will understand how "social distancing" is only possible up to about six inches!  They are somewhat compact inside due to the amount of stock...…….  My wife last spoke to her sister last night and she again told us that there really is a "it won't happen to us" attitude.  It isn't helped by a lot of the Indian community being very social people, visiting others is a daily routine and staying indoors is completely alien.  Sadly a good many are putting this daily routine/habit over the advice and rules being laid down.

I wish I had an answer, but sadly I don't, it is so rife that trying to police it is a bit like trying to herd wild cats.

• Sad 1
  • I agree completely 2

There appear to be more cases with factory's closing that had just re opened and lockdown imminent.

Eire is also reporting a worrying rising trend, though this at the moment appears to potentially be from visitors in to the country.

And a new strain of flue, not covid,  found in pigs in China, has the potential to be passed to humans,a few working in the industry have caught it, the worry is that it may mutate, as covid did, to have pandemic trends.

Looks like the fat lady won't be singing for long time yet !

None of this news is of any surprise to anyone that lives in Leicester or the surrounding areas.  Thankfully my own village is outside the effected area and I personally avoid Leicester as much as possible anyway, but for those of us that followed the government advice to the letter it's no shock that Leicester is the first place to be headline news and it's shameful.   Any other resident of Leicestershire with an ounce of common sense that saw what this city was like during lockdown will say exactly the same. 

Very frustrating, very shameful and very disappointing, but the latest measures will not change this behaviour at all.  That I pretty much guarantee. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • I agree completely 4

Seeing how the Eire problem has been linked to travel, I wonder how this may affect travel restrictions in the EU and UK should similar spies occur elsewhere and the air bridge scheme,

Yesterday the Mayor of Leicester came on TV arguing that any move back into lockdown was premature and accusing Hancock of knee-jerking, today he's on saying the opposite and blaming Hancock for not acting a lot sooner!!  We also see a Labour MP for one local constituency saying it shouldn't happen and a Labour MP for another saying it should have already been done.  Nothing like playing politics with people's lives is there?  Why can't they just leave it to the Government to act on medical advice?

7 minutes ago, Tourershine said:

None of this news is of any surprise to anyone that lives in Leicester or the surrounding areas.  Thankfully my own village is outside the effected area and I personally avoid Leicester as much as possible anyway, but for those of us that followed the government advice to the letter it's no shock that Leicester is the first place to be headline news and it's shameful.   Any other resident of Leicestershire with an ounce of common sense that saw what this city was like during lockdown will say exactly the same. 

Very frustrating, very shameful and very disappointing, but the latest measures will not change this behaviour at all.  That I pretty much guarantee. 

Those of us who know the area agree with this. Leicester is one of many similar towns in the UK.

• I agree completely 3

Something has gone wrong with peoples lives on Leicester, so, in keeping with ‚Äúmodern thinking‚ÄĚ it simply has to be somebody else‚Äôs fault. The fact that social distancing has, to a great extent, been ignored is immaterial.

It’s clearly the Govts fault and has nothing to do with the fact that so many have chosen to ignore the advice about social distancing and carried in as normal. Well the chickens have come home to roost now! Trouble is how much of a knock on effect will this have? 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

39 minutes ago, Tourershine said:

Exactly this!!   We're on the Warwickshire side of Leicestershire (right on the edge, as it happens), and we'd echo all you've said here.

Locally, people are tying the spike to the end of Eid and Ramadam alongside the BLM "protests" a couple of weeks ago, not observing the rules over ditancing.

My grandmother used to say that you can't educate pork.  Now I know what she means.

33 minutes ago, MalH said:

Yesterday the Mayor of Leicester came on TV arguing that any move back into lockdown was premature and accusing Hancock of knee-jerking, today he's on saying the opposite and blaming Hancock for not acting a lot sooner!! 

True, but Soulsby has always been a bit of a Richard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • I agree completely 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Something has gone wrong with peoples lives on Leicester, so, in keeping with ‚Äúmodern thinking‚ÄĚ it simply has to be somebody else‚Äôs fault. The fact that social distancing has, to a great extent, been ignored is immaterial.

Andy

I think you called it natural selection or something similar in a previous post, Andy.  

• I agree completely 1

We live 15 miles north west of Leicester, I worked in the city for over 25 years. It's a nice city, as cities go, vibrant, interesting and relatively safe. As with all cities there are places I would walk alone after dark and others where I would not. Having worked there for so long I still keep in touch with many old work friends who live in and around the city, mainly via social media and most of them have been tearing their hair out since lock down began at the amount of people not adhering to lock down and social distancing measures. It doesn't help that the city's mayor has had to apologise on more than one occasion for breaking lock down and social distancing rules. 

Don't play the race card, this has been people from all ethnic communities and across all economic spectra from the poorest to the wealthiest parts of the city. One of my friends reported receiving a birthday party invitation for her eldest in April, in the midst of lock down and the sender being quite offended when she declined it. 

I have to admit that my visits to Leicester have become increasingly rare and I haven't ventured in since the lock down began. The "local" retailers in the city have mostly gone, replaced by the corporate high street names found anywhere, few of the traditional old Leicester businesses remain and for shopping we tend to use Hinckley or Nuneaton. From the information released last night it would appear that the lock down will not reach our village thankfully, where lock down and social distancing has been well observed, and cases very low. My one concern is that closing non essential shops in and around the city will simply cause people to visit outlying market towns such as Loughborough, Melton Mowbray and Coalville spreading the virus into these areas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

45 minutes ago, PMW said:

My one concern is that closing non essential shops in and around the city will simply cause people to visit outlying market towns such as Loughborough, Melton Mowbray and Coalville spreading the virus into these areas. 

I lie in wales about 4.5 miles from English border. Local pubs are due to possibly open in England the day before our window cleaner's birthday and he is hoping for a session there with friends

Its alright  imposing additional social distancing measures in Leicester or in fact any area ; but on the 4th July people from these areas will be  going  on holiday around the UK and abroad. Its going to be difficult to close the lid on any outbreaks  as lots of infected people will believe thy are fine !!!!

Will people of Leicester be allowed out of the boundary, in Chia etc. seemed people stayed within the lockdown area.

6 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Will people of Leicester be allowed out of the boundary, in Chia etc. seemed people stayed within the lockdown area.

In general, folk in China do as they are asked, does this answer your question ūüėČ

1 hour ago, PMW said:

Don't play the race card, this has been people from all ethnic communities and across all economic spectra from the poorest to the wealthiest parts of the city. One of my friends reported receiving a birthday party invitation for her eldest in April, in the midst of lock down and the sender being quite offended when she declined it. 

To be honest I don't think anyone is laying all of the blame at the feet of any particular part of society or culture, just observations of certain areas, when you add everyone's observations together the magnitude of the problem becomes very apparent.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

I would have thought it fairly easy to police as all that is demanded is that non essential shops that opened on 16th (?) June now close for 2 weeks. The authorities do have a request though ....... only a request request 

People are being urged to make essential journeys only and stay at home as much as they can.