baldy1812

Water Pump Fuse

Hi

looking for some help please.  Our water pump fuse blows as soon as I turn the pump switch on, even before any taps are opened.  If the pump isn’t connected the fuse doesn’t blow and the toilet works fine (both share same fuse slot).  It’s only when I connect the pump to caravan that it blows.  I’ve had the pump tested using a battery and the pump works.  But I can only think it must be the pump??  

As the pump itself works, the finger of suspicion has to point to the plug and socket, shorting out when inserted.

Worth trying a different pump on your van and your pump on a different van, if you can.

Posted (edited)

It could be its the pump. Connecting straight to a battery allows it to draw more current. The fuse is blowing as the current is too high. Could be partially seized or electrical fault inside it.

As Stevan says try another pump if its ok then you have proved its pump. If it blows then its connector issue.

Edited by 664DaveS
  • I agree completely 1

On our van the fuse blows when the pump is at the end of its life. It's only a 5A fuse.

I would try putting a fuse in the circuit when testing using the battery. If it blows then it’s the pump.