Jump to content
kelper

Scottish midges

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Scottish caravan sites might open on 15th July.  I live on Scotland's north coast.  The midges are really bad this year so if you come here take some precautions.  You should definitely carry a midge net to protect your face.  The Smidge spray work quite well but is very smelly.  I prefer the wipes from Xpel

 

Has anyone found an effective midge trap?  The UV traps won't work in daylight and midges are attracted to our breath (CO2) so I doubt they would be any better at night.

 

We have a black dog and he's a total midge magnet.  Dark clothing is known to attract the little critters.  They are only 1 to 2 mm long so any nets or screens have to have a very fine mesh.

 

image.png.1add18908e3af555ac843d40af1bad2b.png

Edited by kelper
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many years ago, when we were attacked by midges, the Site Warden sold us a plug-in device which held a small tablet and produced a vapour which quickly killed hundreds of the blighters.  Had to hoover them up in the morning.  We only stayed one night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Opening on the 3rd if you have your own facilities.

 

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have read that the weather this year will be ideal for the critters so be warned and come prepared. I would not let it make me miss the scenery though.

If coming do check the dates your site opens as the CAMH has set the date for their sites as 15 July which is when they can use the facilities. From what they sent me it looks as though if you have facilities you cannot open until then even if you keep them locked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scorpio said:

Many years ago, when we were attacked by midges, the Site Warden sold us a plug-in device which held a small tablet and produced a vapour which quickly killed hundreds of the blighters.  Had to hoover them up in the morning.  We only stayed one night. 

Something like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Go-Travel-Electric-Mosquito-Killer/dp/B004FQULOK/ref=sr_1_12?adgrpid=53902733940&dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw_-D3BRBIEiwAjVMy7If-39CdFIq7rfK9kGWVFPS0QqZADydnMUWB7Yh_9g4dvw0qQlqn7xoCUO8QAvD_BwE&hvadid=259106562184&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007407&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=8882558539908431873&hvtargid=kwd-303493573333&hydadcr=28182_1821135&keywords=plug-in+mosquito+repellent&qid=1593339011&sr=8-12&tag=googhydr-21

Used to have them years ago before we had a caravan. When we would fly to warmer countries for our annual holiday!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is it, but ours had a UK 3 pin plug on it, we found it very effective.  I think the Site were selling them for about six quid, complete with a pack of tablets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

But useless if you have the doors and windows open and do you want to sleep in those chemical vapours?

Edited by kelper
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there used to be a calorgas stand , lamp post thingy that they used to fly too on a campsite we went too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kelper said:

But useless if you have the doors and windows open and do you want to sleep in those chemical vapours?

good point, an alternative is an electric insect zapper - Lidl have them for £7.99  this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hedgerowpete said:

there used to be a calorgas stand , lamp post thingy that they used to fly too on a campsite we went too

Yes, but it costs £500 not including the gas cylinder!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Midge's; I remember them well, many many years ago we went for a weeks diving on the Kyle of Lochalsh, to dive the wreck of the Port Napier, we stayed at a campsite behind The  Balmacara Hotel.

 

First couple of days it lashed it down with rain  so we were oblivious of any midge's, also as we were out on the Loch most of days with dry suits on.

 

Then the sun came out "wow" never seen anything like it, how can something so small create such aggravation, the only rest bite was when you were away from the shore in the boat, in the evenings we showered and went straight to the back bar of the hotel every night for the rest of the week. It's the only time on a holiday we hoped for torrential rain.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are breeding midges who only eat Englishmen!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the best time to visit without the threat of the midges? I have a few friends who have visited and their visit was ruined by them. I am looking forward to visiting north of the border but would prefer to do it without the midges if possible. We will hopefully be retiring in the not too distant future so can visit anytime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Midge season is May to September.  But a good breeze keeps them away.  The repellents do work if you apply properly, which is why I prefer the wipes.  The midge forecasts are rubbish.  They like cooler shady areas so chose a pitch accordingly.  Wear light-coloured clothing and have long sleeve tops/shirts available.  Antihistamine cream will stop the itching, which is the worst part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Midges have never troubled me for some reason. I remember years ago standing on the Loch side at the Bunree site one warm late afternoon. I was wearing a pair of shorts and sandals whilst viewing wildlife through the binoculars. There were several others with caps, lonsleeved shirts and light jackets buttoned or elastic banded at the wrist, trousers tucked in socks and all doing the neck slapping dance. I had been stood there a while and they probably wanted to know what I was watching ...... they didn't stay long :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember a trip to Mallaig a few years back via the Caledonian Sleeper August time.

 

Pulled in at Rannoch station early morning and my wife commented 'pity about the drizzle.

 

The drizzle turned out to be the density of midges.

 

Got bitten by one of the little swines whilst eating my Mallaig fish and chips, still got a tiny scar even now. :angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The good news is midge top speed is 4mph so although the west coast is blighted by them there are very few days when the wind is light.

We go for beach sites so over 50 years only had midge problems at Ullapool  

Loch Morlich and Ullapool.

At Ullapool the midges wear wrist watches bang on 7 pm we close the caravan door and are entertained by the campers trying to have their tea outside.

We caravan at the height of the midge season and have learned to live with them-or rather-without them-by closing the caravan door.

We are pet free so do not have to run the gauntlet of dog walking.

I would imagine a dog could carry a fair number of midges into the awning and caravan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SuperRed said:

What is the best time to visit without the threat of the midges? I have a few friends who have visited and their visit was ruined by them. I am looking forward to visiting north of the border but would prefer to do it without the midges if possible. We will hopefully be retiring in the not too distant future so can visit anytime.

 

Mid to late October, when the midges have gone, the weather is still reasonably mild but best of all the leaves are turning autumn colours so the scenery is even more stunning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Easy T said:

Midges have never troubled me for some reason. I remember years ago standing on the Loch side at the Bunree site one warm late afternoon. I was wearing a pair of shorts and sandals whilst viewing wildlife through the binoculars. There were several others with caps, lonsleeved shirts and light jackets buttoned or elastic banded at the wrist, trousers tucked in socks and all doing the neck slapping dance. I had been stood there a while and they probably wanted to know what I was watching ...... they didn't stay long :lol: 

 

Not being sexist, but they prefer females.  We have been away and had no trouble but my daughter was eaten alive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kelper said:

 Wear light-coloured clothing and have long sleeve tops/shirts available.  

 

Magic circle of shirts around the caravan????

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

 

Mid to late October, when the midges have gone, the weather is still reasonably mild but best of all the leaves are turning autumn colours so the scenery is even more stunning.

:Thankyou:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We would like to visit the West Coast and have two weeks holiday in October. Recommendations grateful accepted. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wildwood said:

 

Not being sexist, but they prefer females.  We have been away and had no trouble but my daughter was eaten alive.

The fellas around me were definitely getting chewed on ;)

I suspect that they must bite me but that I have no reaction. On that occasion I brushed them off me and combed my hair whilst my wife brushed them off my back etc before entering the caravan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to Glencoe a few years ago first 2 weeks of May. The midges were just starting to bite as I left. I tend to get bitten by all sorts of flies so could be something to do with the food I eat, lots of sweet stuff. As previously mentioned, if it is a bit windy the flies are absent so if on a hill top wanting lunch then find a windy spot to stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...