MichelleL

General questions :-)

Hi Everyone 

I just have few questions I am hoping someone could help me with please  , I found in the caravan some  Puriclean  , purifies water systems , what do I do with it ?, do I put it in the Aquaroll ?, 

Do I use it all the time or just at the end of the year kinda thing ?..

We are going away for the first time in the caravan at the end ish of July :D , just for 4 nights , in the caravan it has van or car , when I put it on car  , do I have to put the other switch on charge ?, 

Or when I put it on car it charges the battery anyway ?.

Thanks M...

Use the Puriclean to cleanse the aquaroll and pull it through the pipes in the caravan, 

Don't use milton either, because that can have a detrimental effect (I can't think of the right word here) on your water heater element.

We use it every couple of months, though some may prefer to use it more frequently depending on how long the (fresh) water stands in your Aquaroll.

Add the puriclean to the roll, and fill it, pull the water through into your caravan system - hot and cold - as you would normally and leave it to stand for a few hours (we leave ours overnight).  Then drain it all down and pull clean water through the system to clear the solution out.

You can then connect on site and fill your system as normal.

Hth

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 3

Modern caravans do not have a charger switch so I suggest that whilst driving, she puts it to CAR and switch the charger on. 

On site set the selector switch to VAN. 

If memory serves....

On an older van, the Charge switch is to charge the van battery from the mains EHU.

The car/van switch selects which 12v battery to use. Obviously, you can only use the car if it's connected up. I would suggest to only use this if the van battery is flat - and use it sparingly as you don't want to flatten the car battery to a point where the car won't start.

As a round up.

Switch to Van pretty well all the time.

Switch Charger on when on site. I wouldn't leave it on 24/7 as the charger may not be intelligent enough not to overcharge the battery.

Cleaning the water system:

Others are fussier than me!!

I do mine (with Milton's!!) at the beginning of the season and leave it at that. 

Soak for an hour with solution.

Water barrels rinsed at least 3 times each.

2 barrels of fresh water through hot and cold before use.

(I'm not on a water meter!!)

My water is drained as I leave site

Puriclean is good stuff, fill the Aquaroll with the correct dosage and pull the water through to every tap in the caravan and leave it to stand for at least 24 hours. By the time you’ve filled the caravan system the Aquaroll will be half empty so top it up to ensure the top half gets sterilised.

After 24 hours drain everything down and flush through with a couple of Aquarolls of fresh water. Don’t forget to sterilise the pipe you use to fill the Aquarolls and I also put bungs in the drain outlets Outside and fill the sinks with the solution to sterilise the waste pipe work, this gets rid of nasty smells as caravan sinks don’t have U-bends to keep out smells.

I also sterilise the waste water carrier but I just use bleach for this.

I carry all of this out if the caravan sits unused for more than three months.

• I agree completely 1

16 minutes ago, AlwynMike said:

I do mine (with Milton's!!) at the beginning of the season and leave it at that. 

Soak for an hour with solution.

Water barrels rinsed at least 3 times each.

2 barrels of fresh water through hot and cold before use.

(I'm not on a water meter!!)

My water is drained as I leave site

Thats exactly what we do... we use the Milton tablets.. 

Friends of ours who have been campers and caravanners since god was a boy taught us this along with a few other tit bits (and they still come up with pearls of wisdom)..

Edited by Jacko1

Milton can corrode the aluminium internals of water heaters and isn’t recommended by Truma. I used to use it myself until I read about it on here and checked with Truma.

2 hours ago, MichelleL said:

Do I use Puriclean all the time or just at the end of the year kinda thing ?..

Buy yourself 5ltrs of white vinegar from ebay and fill your system with it at the beginning of the season.   The vinegar will descale any lime from your boiler without causing any harmful reaction and also, as it has antiseptic properties, will clean the pipework - all without leaving any harmful residues.   It's a win, win, win method.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

Milton can corrode the aluminium internals of water heaters and isn’t recommended by Truma. I used to use it myself until I read about it on here and checked with Truma.

It also corrodes the stainless steel in Alde boilers. 
I only use Puriclean nowadays 

• I agree completely 1

Hi everyone 

Thanks for all the reply's and great advice :) , as I don,t know when he did it last I will do that this afternoon and wash it all through tomorrow.

I don,t think he would have done it much anyway because he never looked after the van...

I just realized he has not even opened it there you go , I don,t think I would have drank it , at some point I would have read the back and seen you can not drink it :P ...

I did put the charger on all the time at first when we got it but I don,t do that anymore , the battery seems like a good one and it has a green light on it inside on the top.

Just wondered if you put it on charge as well when the car is connected like you do when its on van ( hook up ) , its always hooked up here to the mains....

One of the plugs is broken , the gray one , it still works but I bought one this morning , I will wire it up shortly , just take one wire off at a time though :).

:Thankyou:         everyone :)

Edited by MichelleL
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MichelleL said:

Hi everyone 

One of the plugs is broken , the gray one , it still works but I bought one this morning , I will wire it up shortly , just take one wire off at a time though :).

Take a picture on your phone before disconnecting anything!

Just in case. Remove from the mains and disconnect one of the battery leads.

Thanks Mike , I did , I was hoping to do one wire at a time but I realized I had to put them two plastic bits on first, rubber seal and screw bit.

And it was all rusted really bad inside I could not turn the screws so I had to cut all the wires.

Its green at the bottom 

Brown clock wise

Red

Yellow 

Blue 

White and black in the middle , I did take a pictures as well , surprised it worked it was so rusty.  

I backed the car into the garden last night and connected it up to the caravan ( electrics )....

It all works inside , even the fridge ,  I bought one of them camping kettles that does on the hob yesterday  , so we can pull over into a layby for a hot drink when we go away   :)...

2 hours ago, MichelleL said:

I bought one of them camping kettles that does on the hob yesterday

Nothing quite says your camping like a whistling kettle. 
We normally carry a few small water bottles, so can make brew as soon as legs are down

I have always used a russell hobbs travel kettle it's  1kw from Argos,  plenty for 2 cups.

9 hours ago, MichelleL said:

I backed the car into the garden last night and connected it up to the caravan ( electrics )....

It all works inside , even the fridge ,  I bought one of them camping kettles that does on the hob yesterday  , so we can pull over into a layby for a hot drink when we go away   :)...

Sounds good. When moving the gas bottles in the locker should be turned off, it will say this some where in the caravan handbook and if there is a front window sticker with a towing check list it will be there as well. The attached is from our first caravan but our latest has something similar. If you later get a low wattage kettle it will run off the site electric which you have already paid for as part of the pitch fee when on ehu, rather than using your gas.

P2080156.JPG

Thanks , I am going to do a check list , its a good idea :)...

I did not think you could use a kettle when its hooked up to the car ?.

35 minutes ago, MichelleL said:

I did not think you could use a kettle when its hooked up to the car ?.

You can't plug a kettle in when you're towing............. Unless it's a 12volt kettle.

you can't use any kettle when towing :blink:

That is what I thought so I bought a camper kettle :P...

19 hours ago, joanie said:

you can't use any kettle when towing :blink:

Unless your kettle will operate on 12volts.

Edited by Jaydug

1 minute ago, Jaydug said:

Unless it's a 12volt kettle.

no, :D the water will spill out when you go around corners

• Haha 1

Just now, joanie said:

no, :D the water will spill out when you go around corners

Take it from me - It doesn't..:lol:

• Haha 2

On 27/06/2020 at 09:43, AlwynMike said:

Cleaning the water system:

Others are fussier than me!!

On 27/06/2020 at 09:59, Jacko1 said:

That's exactly what we do... we use the Milton tablets.. 

As per the post by GaryB1969, Milton can corrode the aluminium internals of water heaters and isn’t recommended by Truma. 

We use a whistling hob kettle on the electric hot plate when on EHU. We do have a small electric travel kettle at home, but don't bother with it in the van, it would take up too much worktop space.