Can anyone please recommend a good set of towing mirrors for a 2012 Range Rover Sport??

Tried my old ones but the strap isn't long enough to go around the body of the mirror

Melenco mirrors clamp on the top of the mirror body. These look like they are about to drop off but have worked well on my Discovery 4 and New Discovery.

Edited by Danddandy
Spelling error
  • Like 1

We love our Milenco grande aeros-happily fitted our DAcia Duster and now our Nissan Navara-far superior in every way to our elastic rubber band type strap on mirrors we had when we first started. 

Only towed caravans with Discovery's, a D2, a D3 and 2 D4's.

Best mirrors I have found for the job are Milenco Grand Aero's on each of them.

Now with an 8 footer, even with the extension arms fitted, still vibration free, but with the later mirror profiles with a curved top (Discovery 4) they are are prone to coming adrift, already lost one.

So I now fit them to the straight edge at the bottom of the mirror, well anchored.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

10 hours ago, Tim Ward said:

Can anyone please recommend a good set of towing mirrors for a 2012 Range Rover Sport??

Tried my old ones but the strap isn't long enough to go around the body of the mirror

I had a 2009 RRS and used Milenco Aero’s but we my FFRR I use the Grand Aero as they give a better view. Both fit well and are very stable. If you are worried about scratching the mirror casing put some masking tape on before putting the mirrors on👍

2020 Swift Eccles 650 towed by Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 4.4

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"

I too use Milenco Aero on my Q7, I think they are brilliant.

I clamp on direct, and have never experienced scratches or any movement.

• Like 1

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

I have used Grand Aeros for years until I changed from a 2017 BMW X3  to a 2019 BMW X3 they did not fit so I have bought a pair of mirrors designed for my G01 X3 from a company in Germany advertised on Amazon/Ebay branded EMUK at £110 not cheap but very well designed, not used them yet as we are in the Shielded Mob and have not left home and by the look of things in Wales we wont be for some time

But if you decide on Milenco Mirrors,you will not be disappointed unless you have a BMW X3 G01, previous X3's and I have had two have had no problems and were perfect

Edited by Les Medes
  • Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Les

Many thanks for all the advice, I've ordered a pair of Milenco Aero's 👍

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Griff said:

Only towed caravans with Discovery's, a D2, a D3 and 2 D4's.

Best mirrors I have found for the job are Milenco Grand Aero's on each of them.

Now with an 8 footer, even with the extension arms fitted, still vibration free, but with the later mirror profiles with a curved top (Discovery 4) they are are prone to coming adrift, already lost one.

So I now fit them to the straight edge at the bottom of the mirror, well anchored.

You can actually get some LR specific pads (Product Code 4466) from Milenco (or their stockists). I have some for our D4 (2016) and have never had an issue with them coming loose. With the standard pads, they could tend to slip (or drop off as you found). But once again, Grand Aeros get my vote.

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

20 minutes ago, nigel207 said:

You can actually get some LR specific pads (Product Code 4466) from Milenco (or their stockists). I have some for our D4 (2016) and have never had an issue with them coming loose. With the standard pads, they could tend to slip (or drop off as you found). But once again, Grand Aeros get my vote.

Worked fine on my D4 but on the D5 the width of the mirror surround trim varies along the length. So the special grip strip fits at one end but not the other. I discussed this with Milenco Technical Director and he said they would look into it ...that was July 2019.

I made my own version bonding a rubber strip on the edge of the clamp which did reach the groove at the widest point. But I still keep an eye on them while towing and have been known to stop and check them if they look like they have moved and are likely to drop off.

I am taking our caravan to the dealers for a repair next Friday. It will be my first tow since Sept 2019. :unsure: Strangely apprehensive after such a long lockdown due to wife’s health and then Covid. I will be checking those mirrors every 5 miles. 😆 

80D64E6C-CD64-4561-B41C-C6B402B05973.jpeg

I have fitted lanyards on our Grand Areos used on a Disco 4, having long back lost one off a D3. These simply loop back onto themselves.

These new Grand Aeros have the stuck on "rubber" high friction pads.

Way pre getting these newer mirrors with the pads, I made my own higher friction aids by cutting a centimetre wide "rubber band" from a narrow width inner tube from a cycle.

Disco 4 Mirror.jpg

Edited by JTQ
  • Thanks 1

Tim. . . If you fit your Milenco mirrors to the lower edge of the car mirrors, be sure that the  clamps don't hit the door when in the "park" position. . Best fitted to the top of the mirror as once the mirrors start folding into  park position, they can't be stopped.

I upgraded my old Milenco mirrors with the later clamps. The newer clamps have a rubber insert. . . Also when I upgraded again fitting longer arms  (for an 8 foot wide caravan) I was able to fit the clamps closer together and nearer the window so both clamps are on the narrower section of the mirror. . 

I understand from Milenco that F Pads have a bevelled edge and will fit most cars, they said they would fit my X3 but don't

Les

5 hours ago, ericfield said:

Worked fine on my D4 but on the D5 the width of the mirror surround trim varies along the length. So the special grip strip fits at one end but not the other. I discussed this with Milenco Technical Director and he said they would look into it ...that was July 2019.

Ref. The Milenco Discovery 4 clamp pads. (Vee feature).

Same design on a 2015 Discovery as above pic, this gap dimension relative to the front bezel edge increases across the mirror width, i.e. the gap is not parallel to the front of the bezel therefore the Milenco vee, although close(ish) at the narrowest point is way off (4-5mm) at the widest dimension.

Tried to explain this to Milenco last year but unfortunately at the time went above their heads and reached a dead end.

20200626_231142.thumb.png.12dd16319e0185f84002648d5835b4f8.png

The other problem is that the outer top bezel edge and inner top bezel edge are not parallel to each other so the top clamp pad and lower clamp jaw do not clamp with a natural action, misalign (see my pic) and try to slip their way off the angle, more so if they are wet.

The mirror bottom edge is different, it is straight not curved and does not have the angled clamp surfaces.

This is not the situation when clamping to the bottom edge.

Note. The mirror design for earlier than 2015 Discoverys is not as the above pics so the clamping is not such a problem.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

18 hours ago, ericfield said:

I made my own version bonding a rubber strip on the edge of the clamp which did reach the groove at the widest point. But I still keep an eye on them while towing and have been known to stop and check them if they look like they have moved and are likely to drop off.

I am taking our caravan to the dealers for a repair next Friday. It will be my first tow since Sept 2019. :unsure: Strangely apprehensive after such a long lockdown due to wife’s health and then Covid. I will be checking those mirrors every 5 miles. 😆 

I use them on our 2016 D4 which has the later curved mirror housings, and yes, the casing does vary in width, so the little bit on the mirror pads doesn’t sit in all the gaps. But, they attach very securely in my experience, and I’ve not had one slip or drop off (yet!) despite using them for thousands of miles. If I put on the original pads, they just won’t grip (even with the later type clamps that have the rubber insert).

If you do have the earlier type of clamps that are just very thin plastic wedges, try putting a bit of inner tube between that and the mirror housing. They grip much better.

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus