Do I need a licence for an inflatable dinghy in France?

B3nnl

Folks, I'm toying with the idea of getting a second-hand dinghy with a small outboard motor something around 3m long and 4hp max.  

We're going down by the Limoges area and have found a lovely site at the rivers edge of La Maulde.  I'd love to be able to get the family into a boat and chug along the river rather than drive.

Question is, do I need a licence of any sort or due to the size and temporary nature of the boat/engine is it exempt? I suppose I could just bin the engine and row, but not sure how enjoyable that would be for me after a couple of miles...

1 hour ago, B3nnl said:

Folks, I'm toying with the idea of getting a second-hand dinghy with a small outboard motor something around 3m long and 4hp max.  

We're going down by the Limoges area and have found a lovely site at the rivers edge of La Maulde.  I'd love to be able to get the family into a boat and chug along the river rather than drive.

Question is, do I need a licence of any sort or due to the size and temporary nature of the boat/engine is it exempt? I suppose I could just bin the engine and row, but not sure how enjoyable that would be for me after a couple of miles...

Regulations here https://cartebateau.com/fr/permis-bateau-france

translation of main points..........................

A boat license is compulsory in France to drive a motorized pleasure boat with a motor power of more than 6CV, whether on the sea or on the river. It is also necessary to pilot a motorboat or a jet ski.

It allows you to drive a pleasure boat with a power of more than 6 CV on rivers, streams and lakes, provided that the boat does not exceed twenty meters in length. If a boat exceeds twenty meters in length, its operator must add to this first license an extension "large pleasure boat  inland waters" (authorized only from 18 years).

No, not needed.  If you want to use a place to park your boat on the rivers/lakes, then go to the Maire (at Hotel De Ville:D), and apply to register the boat.  When me and Tom went to Lake Annecy, we got a berth, which included free car parking for the whole of the week.  Our caravan site was over a mile away.  It cost us 26 Euros for seven days.  If you go to Switzerland, then don't bother with your boat, not worth the cost or hassle.  You may also need insurance (its so long ago now, but you may get this at the Maire's office, so check on that).  I must admit, when skimming along on Lake Annecy, we parked up at some rocks, large enough to tie the boat up, and have a picnic sat on the rocks watching the world go by, and waving to other boaters.  Also, best thing ever, seeing an Osprey swoop down and pluck a fish right out of the water:)

• 3 months later...

be careful you may get more people on you boat than you really want in these times. 

• Haha 3

Coachman Platinum Pastiche 560/4

Santa Fe Premium 2. 2 CRDi manual 7 seat

Kampa Air Ace 400

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.