Just wanted to share what I use to clean the roof.  It’s an old pair of the wife’s slippers which have a thick rubber sole. I also use them for decorating on ladders in the house.

4839FC58-7E68-4C4C-AF35-C992C19B202D.jpeg

5C64195E-027F-4D3F-8E0A-12D3FCC1958F.jpeg

Rather than borrowing Mrs P's slippers, I use a pair of old socks on the end of the ladders to protect painted house walls.

I put a towel over the ladder,  it gives me some protection from the splashback from my water fed brush 

Quite a few options here. Personally, I use pieces of water pipe insulation foam, which slip over the ladder and stay in place while protecting the van and awning rail.

• I agree completely 3

I use one of these multipurpose ladders set up as a platform.  It allows me to cover more than half the length of the caravan without moving the ladder.  Be careful if buying one though as a lot of those on the market only have three rungs per section and are not high enough to be useful.

grandmaster-multi-purpose-aluminium-ladder-575cm-multifunctional-ladder-6-in-1-max-load-150kg-anti-slip-design-folded-size-149x35x29cm-platform-included-P-7054795-13222327_1.jpg

My wife still hasn't missed her winter pyjama top yet.

sprite2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I thought you meant you use the slippers to clean the roof at first... 

I'd like a remote controlled drone to clean our van, so I could sit back and let it do all the work. :D

• Like 2

Am I on my own in thinking leaning a ladder whatever the protection against the side of a caravan is a recipe for water leaks; I get up on scissor ladders . 

• I agree completely 1

50 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

Am I on my own in thinking leaning a ladder whatever the protection against the side of a caravan is a recipe for water leaks; I get up on scissor ladders . 

I don't think there's any great problem using a ladder as described above, with or without the forms of protection mentioned.  As long as the ladder is placed as steep against the caravan as you can safely use it, almost all of your weight is being transferred downwards to the ground rather than against the awning rail of the van.  I wouldn't use the ladder against the aluminium side of the van, but for many years, on several vans, I have placed my ladder against the awning rail, without using my wife's slippers or anything else, and haven't had any problems.  Just take care when placing the ladder that you don't slam it against the awning rail and I don't see why this should cause any problems.

• Like 1

On 25/06/2020 at 19:10, Jezzerb said:

The awning rail is subjected to a lot more abuse with an awning attached to it during a storm/gale.  Leaning a ladder against the side won't have any detriment to the rail or sealant.

My wife does not wear such posh slippers, I'll have to use mine  :mellow:

I just think that the weight is focused on one small area whereas the awning stresses are right across the whole van length. I don't do it just in case but can see why I might be being over cautious. 

• I agree completely 1