Ashey

A30 rest stop

Posted (edited)

I will be travelling down to a site near Penzance from Manchester approximately 350 miles  I plan to take a break at Gloucester services and will also fuel up to finish the journey and another on the A 30

can anyone recommend a stopping point either lay-by services or very close to A30 

Never been that way any help appreciated

Edited by Ashey

Posted (edited)

Exeter services is a good stop.    It would come around 100 miles after your first stop and leave you with about another 100 to do.

Edited by Jaydug

Or further on ... About 47 miles west of Exeter and  five miles west of Launceston (at junction of A30 with B3257)  the service station at Plusha has plentiful parking for caravans and HGVs behind the petrol station near the Subway cafe. 

Or further still... another 30 miles down the road from there the newer Cornwall services on the A30 at Victoria has good parking too.

Hope you are not planning on travelling on Saturdays, especially not during school holidays. We had many holidays in Torquay travelling from Warrington. On Saturdays it was almost a 250 mile queue in both directions. To avoid this we would go down midweek and stay in a hotel in Plymouth where there is lots to do. Then travel on the Saturday to the rented accommodation in Torquay. We would return on a Friday night or first thing Saturday morning. Stopping on the way down would be around Gloucester and on the way back if Saturday would not use the first services on the M5 since they would be full, same as the one just north after Birmingham on the M6. Where the M5 joins the M6 always seemed to have queues. Check for road works before going since there can be motorway road closures during the night. When we got the caravan we made the trip once and was surprised by how much petrol was used, possibly due to the hills and almost running out and getting twitchy before finding a petrol station near the camp site (Dornafield).

We are going onThursday16 July and coming back on Sunday  2nd August

I was even thinking of leaving Wednesday late evening  and have few hours sleep in the van at Gloucester services but all depends when my wife finishes work and gets her things together as we do stopover at the services when going to France usually near the tunnel 

That route is best undertaken in the dead of night to avoid the inevitable, and VERY lengthy delays that are all too common. 

That way you will have the road virtually to yourself, no trucks taking up two lanes for Mike after mile to crawl past each other, no caravans (except you ;)) no middle lane hoggers etc ( that means you can maintain a decent average speed)  Do the same for the return if you are able. 

If at all all possible I always do any distance driving at night for the above reasons, never failed me yet.

Any sort of stopover point will be rammed full during the day as everyone and his uncle will be wanting to get away (like you) 

Andy

Thanks everybody for the advice 

I do enjoy the evening driving and rest when I am tired I rest  better

When I have done early starts no matter how tired I am when I go to bed I don’t sleep very well and feel exhausted before I start

my wife falls asleep as soon as the car gets going so she not bothered when we go

1 hour ago, Ashey said:

Thanks everybody for the advice 

I do enjoy the evening driving and rest when I am tired I rest  better

When I have done early starts no matter how tired I am when I go to bed I don’t sleep very well and feel exhausted before I start

my wife falls asleep as soon as the car gets going so she not bothered when we go

Same for me. When we go I rarely get into bed before midnight, beloved has been tucked up for two or three hours having left everything to me. Then she’s up in the early hours washing her hair crashing about so I get up and water the houseplants and feed the dogs after a fitful sleep. Set off feeling really tired whilst beloved is fast asleep in minutes.

On 24/06/2020 at 20:56, moorgate said:

Or further on ... About 47 miles west of Exeter and  five miles west of Launceston (at junction of A30 with B3257)  the service station at Plusha has plentiful parking for caravans and HGVs behind the petrol station near the Subway cafe. 

Or further still... another 30 miles down the road from there the newer Cornwall services on the A30 at Victoria has good parking too.

Hi Ashey.

this service station at Plusha is very good, & just round the corner there is a small caravan site called Tickles grounds a little quieter than on the A30  think it may be caravan & camping site ? we have stopped here 3 times on our way to Cornwall

Thank you again for the help

our intentions now are to leave about 7pm and get to the services at Plusha  get a few hours rest in the van and arrive early at the site 

we think it will be easier than leaving in the morning  and travelling through the day