Simon L

RCD tripping when using sockets

Hi all, 

New here (and new to caravans) hoping for a steer in the right direction...

I have a 2005 Lunar Lexor caravan, when on mains elec it is tripping the RCD, as long as nothing is plugged in its fine, powers the battery charger, wqter pump, heaters etc, however it trips when using any socket in the caravan as soon as the switch is turned on (the switch for the socket that is)

Things I have tried:

1.Turning all MCBs off except for sockets - still trips

2. Tried using different sockets around the caravan -trips on every socket

3. Tried using different devices in case the device was the issue - trips on every device i tried even my phone charger which is only 1A

Any obvious suggestions as to what may be the cause? (Earth short?) Any any common solutions...?

Thanks

Simon

It seems most likely to be caused by whatever you are plugging into the sockets.  What is it?

It trips on every device he plugs in so unlikely to be that. There has to be a problem upstream and maybe a faulty MCB. 

Yes indeed, tried different devices to rule that out. So if my MCB is faulty it can cause the RCD to trip? I can try swapping the MCBs around if thats the case to rule that in/out...

It sounds like you may have a wire damage in the caravan. 
unplug the EHU and try to inspect as much of the mains wiring as you can see. 
if nothing obvious turns up, maybe time to get caravan engineer out

To clarify, what are you plugging into the sockets? Is it the same thing into every socket or different things? Do you have anything else unplugged or  plugged in but switched off when testing?

The fact that an unearthed phone charger trips it as well suggests that a neutral and an earth are swapped  or shorted somewhere - could even be the overall connection in the power box. It is certainly not the EHU or its connection - whatever it is must be downstream of the RCD.  Don't forget that the room heater, the fridge, and the microwave if you have one are plugged into the mains supply by a 13A plug and socket adjacent to each unit.  These will likely be on the same breaker as the sockets (caravan handbook will tell you) so if there is a wiring fault their presence even if switched off will still cause the RCD to trip - they need to be unplugged before you test further.

My money is on the heating element in the fridge but nothing would surprise me.

the cooker is another one that may have a plug

MAINS ELECTRICITY CAN KILL!

If simply unplugging stuff does not identify the issue it is time to call in a caravan engineer or electrician.

• Like 1

If nothing is found it could be a faulty RCD that is tripping too low, I had this on  a house one and borrowed a RCD tester from work which plugs in to a socket and checks the trip current and time taken. If you are unable to borrow one it is cheaper to buy another RCD than buy a tester.

Some modern caravans have an electric plate on the hob as well as gas, but I doubt a 2005 model would so there is unlikely to be a socket associated with the cooker.

To be compliant, if the RCD has to be replaced it technically needs to be certified which the person replacing it can do provided he is registered to do so.

9 hours ago, Woodentop said:

Some modern caravans have an electric plate on the hob as well as gas, but I doubt a 2005 model would so there is unlikely to be a socket associated with the cooker.

To be compliant, if the RCD has to be replaced it technically needs to be certified which the person replacing it can do provided he is registered to do so.

Definitely an electric ring in the cooker of my 2005 Sterling Eccles. The socket for it is in the pan storage space. 

John