My driveway is on a slope and I would like to measure the nose weight of the new to us caravan!

The van is parked level so I think the slope should not affect the dynamics, unless I am missing something.

I don't want to have to run the van down to the road where it is level if I can help it as I would like to experiment with the loading where it is.

Has anyone any experience of this?

As an aside the van has newish (dated last year) tyres and alloy wheels but there are no balance weights on the inside of the wheels, would it be prudent to have the balancing checked?

You need to measure the noseweight with the caravan level, and the hitch at the same height from the ground as it would be if hitched to the car. So, if you can SAFELY put blocks under the noseweight balance/scales........

And yes, get your wheels balanced. Manufacturers don’t ever seem to do this. If you’ve ever driven a car with unbalanced wheels, you’ll know the effect. Just imagine what a battering the caravan is taking without them balanced.

Edited by nigel207
Additional information
  • I agree completely 1

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

There is some risk here. I found that your wheels need to rotate very slightly as you raise and lower the jockey wheel. 
when checking my vans nose weight, I found I got some inconsistencies in readings, until I took the handbrake off. Then I got repeatable results. I put this down to rolling resistance on tyres. Single axle van. Dont know how twins get on

To check the nose weight on a slope, the van needs to be level, the wheels securely chocked and the handbrake off.

Tricky but it can be done WITH CARE.

Definitely get the wheels balanced B)

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

44 minutes ago, Stevan said:

To check the nose weight on a slope, the van needs to be level, the wheels securely chocked and the handbrake off.

Tricky but it can be done WITH CARE.

Thats what I thought,  van is always chocked with handbrake off anyway so I will give it a go tomorrow and then I will take the wheels for balancing because as nigel207 says,  unless you do you will never know.

Thanks

I have never left our caravan with the hand brake off and not had it stick on in 20 years over 2 caravans. Others may say different but I would be reluctant to leave it on a slope without the brake on.

8 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

I have never left our caravan with the hand brake off and not had it stick on in 20 years

My first caravan would suffer brake stick occasionally. Despite that, I did and still do apply the handbrake when parked up. 
I would be very nervous of no brakes applied on any vehicle on a slope

Can't see any benefit in leaving anything in permanent tension as it will only fatigue over time.   Our van is on a slope, has all legs grounded on plastic feet and wooden pads and both wheels and jockey wheel chocked with purpose made steel chocks,   and there is also the wheel clamp and post if anything should happen.  I leave the handbrake off as even though it has never seized on there is no guarantee that it never will

i have taken the wheels off and had them balanced today.  glad I did as they were way out

Always leave brake off on our sloping drive wheels chocked no problem.   Provided the caravan is level you can weigh the noseweight on a slope, the height of the hitch shouldn't affect the outcome.

I have seen 3 occasions where hand brakes have not been put on fully on vehicles but they were not chocked. One was next door neighbour's van, it ran down the road into another parked car, cost him quite a bit for the repairs. Another I was walking on Springs Road in Keswick when this car shot a few feet in front of me out of a drive, across the road and through the fence in to a field - a second later and I would have been under it. Another time a van ran down a road and into a railings fence which stopped it dropping down onto a main road about 20 feet below.

Always have your wheels balanced. There was an issue a while back on the Thetford  ovens with the knobs falling off in transit. I took my then new Conqueror into the tyre bay and took the wheels off. Averaged about 100g per wheel to get them balanced. That was after correctly orientating the tyres on the rims using the coloured dots which most fitters ignore.  I’m convinced that the knobs dropping off was a direct result of wheel vibration through the chassis. What is that doing to the rest of the caravan?  I also would never fit those cheap and nasty Duruns again. After 5 years they are in a terrible state with radial cracks in the treads on all four.

My tyres are dated last year and had no weights on the wheels at all and don't look like they ever have had.

What baffles me is that when I have a tyre fitted to the car, balancing is included with the price so why would anyone not have it done when having new tyres fitted to a caravan!!

No wonder turntable plates fall out of microwaves (we take ours out anyway;))

2 hours ago, robertB said:

My tyres are dated last year and had no weights on the wheels at all and don't look like they ever have had.

What baffles me is that when I have a tyre fitted to the car, balancing is included with the price so why would anyone not have it done when having new tyres fitted to a caravan!!

No wonder turntable plates fall out of microwaves (we take ours out anyway;))

Had new tyres fitted in April 2018, the conversation went along the lines of:- me "are you going to balance the wheels" him " no, it's a caravan, they don't need doing" me " how much extra is it to have them balanced?" him " nothing, it's all in the price of the new tyres" me " if you don't balance them does that reduce the price? him " no, we can't do that" me " well, balance them or take the new tyres off and put my old ones back on" him "grumble grumble grumble ok then, I'll balance them". He was extremely surprised when one took 100g and the other two 75g each to get them balanced. :o

Edited by Flat_at
I can spell but my fingers can't
  • Like 1

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

Two years ago Kwik Fit mobile replaced my caravan tyres and balanced them without me asking. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion