Sign in to follow this  
wolfgang1983

Replacing Caravan Interior Light

Hi I have not replaced the light bulbs in the image below before how do I take cover off to replace them? They are 12v light one of them has blown.

Thanks 

IMG_20200620_165303 (1).jpg

Does it not tell you in the manual, Wolfgang?

John

Is it an LED, or a filament bulb? LEDs are not normally considered to be replaceable, requiring an entire unit. Can often be replaced though, but nowhere near as easy!

Just checked your profile and the caravan is a Bailey Senator. Not had one myself but it might help others who know the model.

1 hour ago, Johnaldo said:

Does it not tell you in the manual, Wolfgang?

John

Don't have the manual here at the moment sorry

12 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Is it an LED, or a filament bulb? LEDs are not normally considered to be replaceable, requiring an entire unit. Can often be replaced though, but nowhere near as easy!

No this is not led just normal there is a black strip around light glass moves so I am thinking that comes out some how?

If it is a Senator it will likely be a G4 halogen 10W. LED lighting (for standard fitment) wasn't around in them days.

8 hours ago, Woodentop said:

If it is a Senator it will likely be a G4 halogen 10W. LED lighting (for standard fitment) wasn't around in them days.

I  know that but not know how to take cover off the black strip around the case looks like holds glass in but not sure how to undo it.

I've never come across these precise ones before but others with black rings fitted and they normally prize out with a small screwdriver. There should be a small notch or cutout in the ring somewhere and I think I can almost see it on your photo.

The ring prizes out gently and the glass drops so be ready to catch it. You can replace with an LED buld which should last longer and run much cooler but the colour might be different so if you chose to switch to leds you may want to change any other paired lights at the same time

11 minutes ago, PMW said:

I've never come across these precise ones before but others with black rings fitted and they normally prize out with a small screwdriver. There should be a small notch or cutout in the ring somewhere and I think I can almost see it on your photo.

The ring prizes out gently and the glass drops so be ready to catch it. You can replace with an LED buld which should last longer and run much cooler but the colour might be different so if you chose to switch to leds you may want to change any other paired lights at the same time

I got the black ring off now  but now what I do to take glass out?

IMG_20200621_203328 (1).jpg

It’s rather blurred but I think I can see 3 lugs, so try twisting the glass until they line up with something - but be ready to catch it! A rubber sucker of some kind is useful for this.

John

4 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

It’s rather blurred but I think I can see 3 lugs, so try twisting the glass until they line up with something - but be ready to catch it! A rubber sucker of some kind is useful for this.

John

Thanks John I will let you know how it goes tomorrow it night time here in Nelson, New Zealand my first year living full time in caravan 10 months so far.

it could have lugs to align, but equally possible it's just slightly stuck. Halogen bulbs get very hot are very good at welding light fittings together. 

Hi Wolfgang , I'm in NZ to. We live in Picton , not far away. We had a Senetor. before to but never had to replace those bulbs. Hope you find out.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, James Donald said:

Hi Wolfgang , I'm in NZ to. We live in Picton , not far away. We had a Senetor. before to but never had to replace those bulbs. Hope you find out.

I live in my caravan so I am using lights more often just like a normal house only down side is they get very hot. I can not afford to have them all changed over to modern ones yet. I am at club waimea caravan park

Edited by wolfgang1983

you don't need to change the fitment, you should find an direct replacement LED bulb for most existing halogen or filament bulbs.

I changed the bulb can't but black ring back over now broke but at least light works now. I will get them all replaced once I can to modern ones.

Good news, but shame about the black ring ☹️. How did the glass come off in the end?

John