pattojones

Convert 12N/S to 13 pin

I bought the 13 pin plug by following a link I found on here (cannot find it now) and the plug took weeks to arrive. I’ve been putting it off for months and have now lost the included diagram showing which wires from 12N/S go where on 13 pin. Anyone got anything that may help?

Complete diagrams HERE

I created this diagram when I did my conversion. It might help.

John M

13 Pin Wiring.pdf

Just one point - if you're using 12 core cable to connect up make sure you use the correct end. The wires are laid in such a way that one way round the cables all fall into place easily - the other way round is a nightmare as they're all crossing each other. Don't ask me how I know.....

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

Another tip is to confirm pin function/cable colour on on your setup before removing wires from the existing plugs rather than relying on the various online diagrams.

When I did mine on our previous caravan, a couple of cable colours didn't conform to the online stuff.

Photos of the old plugs are good idea, but if you cut the wires, leaving 1/2 inch or so still attached to the old plugs, then you have what wire goes where, and can cross reference where it needs to go in the 13pin

• Like 1

My tip is to start with the cable for the inner pins of the 13-pin plug.

I'd check the colours conform to the normal and note any that don't on a wiring diagram to use that.  Try to find one that is pictorially the rear of the plug (face of the socket) as that should help visually.

The Maypole twin entry plug is sold in Screwfix for £6.99 currently.

So I went up to the storage area this morning to sort some other issues and whilst there my mate and I had a look inside the 2 plugs currently in situ. I suspect they are weathered through age and well, weather but there seems to be 2 red wires. I just put it all back together and spoke to a caravan engineer on site who is going to do the job by replacing the 2 cables with a single one with the 13 pin plug already moulded on for £70 all in, inc VAT. 

9 minutes ago, pattojones said:

So I went up to the storage area this morning to sort some other issues and whilst there my mate and I had a look inside the 2 plugs currently in situ. I suspect they are weathered through age and well, weather but there seems to be 2 red wires. I just put it all back together and spoke to a caravan engineer on site who is going to do the job by replacing the 2 cables with a single one with the 13 pin plug already moulded on for £70 all in, inc VAT. 

Best way, despite not being cheapest.

Has any one gone the other way converting the s and n on a car to the 13 pin socket as i have s and n on the car and 13 on the van with an adaptor  .

32 minutes ago, mickfishing said:

Has any one gone the other way converting the s and n on a car to the 13 pin socket as i have s and n on the car and 13 on the van with an adaptor  .

My local towbar fitter came out and did it for £50 including the new socket.

• I agree completely 1

On 21/06/2020 at 16:45, Stevan said:

Best way, despite not being cheapest.

If you are able to DiY it is only £22 for a 13 pin plug terminated with 2m of cable.

On 21/06/2020 at 17:07, mickfishing said:

Quite straightforward although my tip is to make sure the grey cable is beefy enough for a modern fridge. The specs on the grey cable seem to have changed over the years. My car had a towbar and 12n/12s electrics fitted from a 2001 model and the white earth wire from 20 years ago looked way too small. So the job increased in scope from changing the 12n and 12s sockets on the car to fitting a modern grey cable as well. Good luck.

Edited by hawkaye