Sign in to follow this  
Xyleth

Is it worth installing a 2nd 12v fuse board

Hello :)

I've spent some time adsorbing the wealth of knowledge here, including the brilliant guide to caravan electrics, and cross referencing it to the wiring diagrams for the Ranger 460/2 we are in the process of buying.

There are a number of additional things I'd like to add to the 12v side of the 'van - USB charging sockets, wiring point for the TV and maybe a few other things in the future.  The advice seems to be that these should all be on their own fused spurs direct from the 12v PDU instead of intercepting existing circuits.

My question is: is it worth installing a second 12v fuse board alongside the main one to handle these additional aux circuits?  And if so where in the existing power architecture would be best to take the feed for the second board?

This place really has been a brilliant resource, thank you to everyone who makes it so!

Don't know about yours, but many caravans already have spare fuses, already provided with 12v ready for the extra equipment on the next model up the range and/or the equipment available as optional extras. Check your handbook, for fuses for equipment that you don't have.

I agree with Stevan. There are usually several unused fuses. 
I don’t think it’s standard to have each item fused, but rather one fuse to protect a specific group. For example, my van had separate fuses for the front and rear lights, although there are numerous lights both front and rear

Given that a 4-way fusebox is only about £5 or £6 there's no harm in adding one.  Helps to keep the wiring simple too.