Problem wiring a 13 pin plug

Pauljohnson

Hi,

Looking for some advice on wireing a new 13 pin plug for my towbar.

Brought a new socket today but when changing I noticed I have a black and blue wire

which I can not find on any 13 pin wireing diagrams.any help would much appreciated.

thanks

paul.

Hi Paul, and welcome to the forum.  Is this one wire, or one black and one blue?  If it's just one wire, it's possibly the live feed to pin 9 for the ATC braking system, or if you are referring to two wires, in addition to that, the second one could be the fridge feed on pin 10, so it would be worth checking around your car battery area to see if any additional wires have been installed. The easiest way to check though is to use a multi-meter.

Does This Help?

Edited by Eddie
web-site added

Sorry it's one black and blue wire and it looks like it goes on to a copper screw.

Edited by Pauljohnson

I know that it's too late now, but when replacing a plug or socket it is always better to replace "as was", rather than to a diagram. There is no guarantee that the loom on the car, as opposed to that on the trailer, uses the standard colour codes.

It is possible that your original socket had a microswitch so that the electronics can detect whether or not there is a trailer plugged in, this extra wire may be for that.

Do you know who's towbar kit it was - I've seen that quite a few of them seem to use random wiring colours that don't actually conform to any standards so it's best to check the wiring and write down the pin wiring before hacking off the old plug

If it's got a switch is the blue/black an extra connection from the pins.

If so it's the return cable for something, either rear fog lights on the car, or possibly reversing sensors to stop them operating when the caravan is plugged in.

Once you know what it is for (see what doesn't work on the car with it disconnected) you can simply connect it with the cable that feeds the function on the caravan. 

If it's the rear fogs you'll simply suffer with a reflection of the cars lights in the caravan, if it's the reversing sensors they'll keep beeping all the time you're reversing with the caravan. 

The microswitch can be for a whole host of things, depending on the car.

It can :-

Turn off the reversing light and rear fog light on the car.

Turn off the rear parking sensor on the car.

Alter the indicators to flash properly with the van but still detect a bulb failure.

Alter the bulb failure device to detect the caravan bulbs.

Alter the car's Electronic Stability Program.

Alter engine and auto gearbox mapping.

Show a warning light on the dashboard to warn that a trailer is hitched.

Quite a list on some cars!

On 19/06/2020 at 18:06, Pauljohnson said:

Hi,

Looking for some advice on wireing a new 13 pin plug for my towbar.

paul.

You should find the answers here if you follow the link:-

Beginners-Guide-To-Electrics.pdf

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.