caravan speakers

If I obtained and ran a 3.5 double female audio cable from my TV to the front of the caravan stereo would I be able to channel TV sound through the stereo speakers?

Just need to know before I get a double female adaptor.

Sorry should have said "male adaptors"   Duuuh

How many speakers does your radio already have, and how many channels out? Car radios don't normally support 3.5mm plugs.

If you only have two speakers already fitted but your radio has both balance (left-right) controls and fade (front-rear) then you could add two additional speakers using the rear channels and the fader would then allow you to channel sound the the front, rear or both.  

In this case any half decent stereo speaker cable would suffice. 

Edited by PMW

7 minutes ago, robertB said:

If I obtained and ran a 3.5 double female audio cable from my TV to the front of the caravan stereo would I be able to channel TV sound through the stereo speakers?

Just need to know before I get a double female adaptor.

Sorry should have said "male adaptors"   Duuuh

I guess it depends if your radio has a 3.5mm aux-in.

Our has, and we have a long male-male cable that we use to get the TV through the van speakers. It sounds quite good actually and we use it when we are watching a movie.

2 minutes ago, PMW said:

How many speakers does your radio already have, and how many channels out? Car radios don't normally support 3.5mm plugs.

If you only have two speakers already fitted but your radio has both balance (left-right) controls and fade (front-rear) then you could add two additional speakers using the rear channels and the fader would then allow you to channel sound the the front, rear or both.  

Er, wrong. Since people started using iPods many if not most new car radio systems have a 3.5mm socket for connection of the music source. Most units have them on the front (sometimes behind a cover) and the odd one has it on the back.

or if your radio has bluetooth get a bluetooth transmitter to plug into your tv's headphone socket

6 minutes ago, flashgordon said:

or if your radio has bluetooth get a bluetooth transmitter to plug into your tv's headphone socket

Ah good thinking that man!

Off to check if my caravan radio has a Bluetooth input (bet it hasn’t :angry:)

Andy

I was right, it doesn’t have Bluetooth input :( Cheapskates clearly fitted the cheapest unit they could. 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

6 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I was right, it doesn’t have Bluetooth input :( Cheapskates clearly fitted the cheapest unit they could. 

https://www.wandahome.online/assets/media/bailey-caravan-brochure-2019-min.pdf only the Unicorns get bluetooth.

BUT I'd suggest that the delays in BT encoding/decoding could give lip-sync issues if you are sensitive to such.  (There are low latency versions about but not commonplace).

Yep, thats what we do 3.5 mm to radio from headphone jack on Avtex to 3.5mm radio. Good sound

Well worth doing if you've got aux inputs, our van's stereo (Kenwood) has 2 phono inputs on the back, I ran a cable to the headphone socket of the Avtex, big improvement to the sound.

42 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Short answer:-

You can if your radio has an aux input socket.

we have a samsung TV in the van and it really made a difference to the sound.  The wires are out of sight as they go up around the  main door and along the cupboards to the radio.

37 minutes ago, flashgordon said:

You can also get an FM transmitter so that you can simply tune the radio into the TV sound.

Yes, we did this. To quote from my earlier post:

"I bought two transceivers for about £7.50 each. One plugs into the USB and headphone sockets on the radio, and the other into the same on the living room TV, the TV one set to transmit while the radio one receives. That way we can listen to Freeview radio stations through the proper cabinet speakers."

This works well for us (using the aux. function on the van radio), and avoids having  cables running  from the radio to the TV.

I had one of those some years ago for my car, the narrow band it transmitted on was very close to some radio stations so I nearly always had some interference/breakthrough. 

Just rummaged in my workshop and found it ! I might just have a tinker and see if it still works :)

I am reasonably happy with the sound quality out of my caravans TV (it’s only about 14”) but I am not a TV addict, I tend to use it along with my satellite dish to get U.K. radio when in France, but of course that’s now available on t’internet via my 12Gb of monthly mobile phone data. 

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

I don't suppose you have the link to the correct ones to buy

Just now, colin h said:

I don't suppose you have the link to the correct ones to buy

"I bought two transceivers for about £7.50 each. One plugs into the USB and headphone sockets on the radio, and the other into the same on the living room TV, the TV one set to transmit while the radio one receives. That way we can listen to Freeview radio stations through the proper cabinet speakers."

This works well for us (using the aux. function on the van radio), and avoids having  cables running  from the radio to the TV.

I just checked and it was called a RayRow Bluetooth Adapter and Transceiver. Unfortunately they're not showing as available on Amazon now, which is where I bought them. But I guess there must be other makes? It's basically looks like a USB stick with a short length of audio cable with 3.5mm jack on the end. The transmitting set flashes blue while the receiving flashes red, if I recall. 

As for interference we have been okay so far but haven't had the set up long, so we may just have been lucky. 

Any process that is not a direct audio connection will invoke some form of delay. Not a good idea to use an FM transmitter as if someone near you hears it and complains you can be in serious doo-dah.

Contrary to what Rodders said low latency bluetooth senders are easily available and not (relatively) that expensive. Many of them work both as a receiver and a sender (they don't call it a transmitter) so if your radio does not have bluetooth then just buy a pair of them and you are in business. You can also buy bluetooth senders that accept an optical input given that most TVs these days don't have headphone sockets or SCARTS!

For anyone who may make their own cables up and is handy with a soldering iron, put a 33ohm 1W resistor across each side of the headphone output to load the amplifiers correctly and a 330ohm resistor is series with each line. The reason is that audio amps tend to be a tad noisy and the resistors will effectively remove it. 

In our case the radio is a DAB/FM all singing all dancing JVC which you are supposed to be able to remote control through bluetooth from an app on your phone - but it don't work. I bought a small Chinese 50W per channel stereo amp on line for about £6 and dug out a 12V plugtop PSU to power it. Boxed it up, ran a cable from the TV (which does have a headphone outlet) and found a pair of the smaller speakers used on a Technics 5.1 setup - cracking units cost me £15 the pair. I also fed the signal from both sides of the TV out to both sides of the amp in so that the signal is mono and put them on the front central drawer unit, one facing at me and one at SWMBO. When she goes to sleep I just disconnect her speaker and I can continue with MotD or whatever without disturbing her. Works a treat and keeps relationships stable! :-))

sorry, I was thinking of adding extra speakers, I'm not sure what I was reading!

In terms of connecting your TV then yes, as you suggest as long as your radio has a 3.5 audio in you'll be fine. If it has an rca aux in on the rear panel and your tv has matching rca out that would be better, using twin rca cable. It transmits at line level which is higher than headphones. 

Use a wired connection if you can, even  low latency usb signal will leave an annoying mismatch between video and audio. 

We've got one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-TaoTronics-Simultaneously-Black/dp/B016UF7J5C?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_3 (didn't pay that for it) which works with two sets of wireless headphones or a bluetooth speaker.

Although it's "low latency" it relies on the receiving end being low latency as well and there's not much of that around - even Bose so it's a case of try one if you can borrow one. I've also got a cheap Sony bluetooth receiver (7 day shop for about £7) which I used to use with my non-wireless noise cancelling headphones and an ancient Samsung MP3 player.

As Woodentop says, if there's signal processing involved there will always be a bit of a lag but I dont actually find it all that objectional although some channels seem to be worse (or better than others) to the extent that it's even apparent on some programmes, direct through the speakers

Edited by matelodave

5 minutes ago, Stevan said:

You can also get an FM transmitter so that you can simply tune the radio into the TV sound.

Those used to be illegal.

9 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

Not a good idea to use an FM transmitter as if someone near you hears it and complains you can be in serious doo-dah.

But they changed that in 2006.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2006/change-to-the-law-to-allow-the-use-of-low-power-fm-transmitters-for-mp3-players#:~:text=Ofcom today announced that the,UK from 8 December 2006.

Contrary to what Rodders said low latency bluetooth senders are easily available and not (relatively) that expensive. Many of them work both as a receiver and a sender (they don't call it a transmitter) so if your radio does not have bluetooth then just buy a pair of them and you are in business.

My bad.  Sometimes I can't keep up with things.

BUT people will need to seek out low latency for both send and receive!   

The BBC has strict guidelines as to acceptable lip-sync but, by necessity, they are finite. Anything within. 10 ms audio early to 20 ms audio late is allowable.  (It used to be double that -20 to + 40 but was tightened up when HD was becoming commonplace).

Low latency APT-X (as used in Bluetooth) has 40ms delay... https://www.aptx.com/aptx-low-latency but most won't notice it as an issue unless the broadcast is already on the edge of tolerance?

thanks for all of that,  there is an input socket on the front of the cd/radio (its a pioneer by the way)

I am going to go with a cable as the radio is in a top cupboard directly above the TV and it would only have occasional use anyway as OH normally uses headphones as she is our main telly addict. I am more an avid reader or staring into the middle distance man myself but still good to have the option when needed.    A 1 metre cable will do it easily and be well hidden

thanks again