Irishboy

Bailey pageant 2006 lights

Hi. 
gearing up for our first caravan trip in few weeks. I have been dealing with a damp issue for the past while and am now only plugging it in.

there are 4 switches on bailey panel and a display showing voltage. Master, lights , awning, pump. I turned on lights. All working ok. I said I would leave the van plugged in overnight cause I want to see if the fridge is working properly and I think it takes a few hours to get cool. But when I turn off the lights, a switch keeps going at the main panel under the seat and the voltage meter springs from zero to 14 every 3 seconds.. anyone any idea what’s the issue.

any advice on checking if the fridge is good is welcomed also!

8AE83547-F054-4483-A426-44AB8A2A53DB.jpeg

There is no switch under the seat. I think there is a bank of 12V fuses and 240V mains MCBs which are trips to protect individual mains circuits. 

So which trip is tripping? 

• Thanks 1

Pageant what? Pageant is a series, like Pegasus or Unicorn, so which series number and which model as they do vary, i.e. Pageant Majestic Series 5 or whatever?

The 'switch' you can hear is most probably a relay (i.e. electrically operated switch) but I cannot think what it could be doing. Either way simply switch off the 12V main switch. The fridge in your caravan will be of an age where it does not need 12V to make it work from mains - the giveaway is that it doesn't have an LCD display.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WispMan said:

There is no switch under the seat. I think there is a bank of 12V fuses and 240V mains MCBs which are trips to protect individual mains circuits. 

So which trip is tripping? 

I mean the fuse board. It a bailey pageant auvergne series 5 2006. Main fuse board is under front seat... that’s where I hear the switch flicking 

23 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

Pageant what? Pageant is a series, like Pegasus or Unicorn, so which series number and which model as they do vary, i.e. Pageant Majestic Series 5 or whatever?

The 'switch' you can hear is most probably a relay (i.e. electrically operated switch) but I cannot think what it could be doing. Either way simply switch off the 12V main switch. The fridge in your caravan will be of an age where it does not need 12V to make it work from mains - the giveaway is that it doesn't have an LCD display.

Pageant auvergne series 5. 2006.  No lcd on the fridge. Are you saying power the fridge off the leisure battery?

I repeat that what you are talking about is a bank of static 12V fuses and beside it a bank of 3 or 4 trips (MCBs) and it could e these. If they are tripping and you are resetting them, then you have a problem that maybe a short in the mains side. 

• Thanks 1

The voltmeter swinging on/off suggests an odd fault - but only when the lights are switched off !!:blink:

My gut says a habitation relay cutting in/out as it sees a "car" attached in that 'mode' which cuts the volts off (and to the volmeter).  The source of the "car voltage" then is also removed and the relay relaxes .... so 12 V on meter ... then the cycle repeats.

This is gonna need some methodical checking of all the 12V wiring to/from the fuse panel and caravan-to-car cables and plugs for the fault (which may also be in the panel pictured and its wiring) ???

I could, of course, be well wide of the mark.  Remote fault diagnosis is very difficult.

thanks all. as a newbie and knowing little about electricity, can i ask perhaps a dumb question.

There is mains 240v and 12v circuits in a van.

In mine there is a panel inside the door with 4 switches as i said earlier.,, one being master and one being lights.

If i dont plug in to the mains and my leisure battery is connected... does the master switch need to be on to turn on the lights and do i use the lights switch to turn on the lights?

OR when i plug into the mains, does the master switch then control the 240v circuit and the leisure battery is only on back up...

a bit of clarity here would be great please. Really struggling with the concept here

8 minutes ago, Irishboy said:

thanks all. as a newbie and knowing little about electricity, can i ask perhaps a dumb question.

In mine there is a panel inside the door with 4 switches as i said earlier.,, one being master and one being lights.

If i dont plug in to the mains and my leisure battery is connected... does the master switch need to be on to turn on the lights and do i use the lights switch to turn on the lights?

OR when i plug into the mains, does the master switch then control the 240v circuit and the leisure battery is only on back up...

a bit of clarity here would be great please. Really struggling with the concept here

The 12v battery runs all the 12v equipment all the time via the master switch if there is power in the battery. The 230v system is there to run the battery charger, run the fridge and often power two reading lights at the front.

The master switch turns everything 12v off but it takes the individual switches to turn them on.

When on site, switch the master switch to ON. Then switching the lights to ON allows individual lights to work. If the lights switch is left to OFF then none of the lights will work. Similarly for the water switch. 

Hope this helps

Thanks. I disconnected the battery this morning and plugged in the van to EHU. There is no clicking noise when I turn off the lights now. I presume this means that a leisure battery is not needed if I am EHU all the time?

1 hour ago, Irishboy said:

Thanks. I disconnected the battery this morning and plugged in the van to EHU. There is no clicking noise when I turn off the lights now. I presume this means that a leisure battery is not needed if I am EHU all the time?

Most UK caravans will work without a leisure battery but are not designed to do so.

The power supply unit is intended for battery charging not powering the van. Without it you may find :- 

Lights flickering when the pump operates.

The PSU being overloaded if you use the pump with too many lights on.

Bailey suggest that the battery is needed with their BCA power supply/charger.  Disconnecting the battery may have cured the 'problem' 12V source that caused the clicking, I'd suggest?

NB ensure the disconnected battery terminals are well-insulated to prevent them touching.  On mains (and with the Charger mains MCB on) the charger puts 13.6-13.8V on those terminals to charge the battery up.  There is a fuse in line to prevent any serious damage, but you don't want to let the battery terminal touch!

You need to call in 'someone who can' to sort the issue out I think, if reconnecting the battery causes the same symptoms. 

• Thanks 1

I'm with Rodders on this.

But let's start at the beginning.

The fridge. Will run on Gas mains and 12v.

Gas and mains are self explanatory. 12v only works when you connect to the car if the car is wired correctly. The fridge does not run from the 12v any other times.

UK vans have a built in relay called the habitation which when you connect the car to the van, it switches over a set of relays that prevent any of the 12v services in the van being used , operates the 12v heating element in the fridge and charges the leisure battery.

When disconnected from the car and plugged into the mains the 12v and 230v systems are different.

What I think is happening is as Rodders suggested, something is causing the habitation relay to activate when you are using the lights. 

My guess would be a chaffed wire somewhere on the fridge or 12v  perm live wire from the tow plug that is receiving 12v when you turn the lights on. However it could be many things and as recommended a good caravan service engineer should be able to trace this.

It might be worth looking at where all the 12v live wires go into, in my van it looks like a fuse box, but it does an awful lot more than that as all the relays are in also present. There are lots of 12 wires grouped together, might be worth looking for places where a shirt could occur. If there is nothing obvious, time for the expert.

It is odd that not having a battery has stopped this as in theory all the same circuits will have 12v just the source is the PSU.

Can you try another battery capacity not important but if the battery is knackered they can cause strange things to occur. Even a car battery as a temp measure will do.

Is the Leisure battery actually charged?? Can you switch the 12v lights on when not connected to 230v? 

19 hours ago, Irishboy said:

anything in the van with a plug on it works by the mains 230v,  Some things  like fridge , heating and hot water  and cooker work by gas, elec and 12v.  either together or in part.  the 12v or leisure battery is used to power a few other bits as well as lights, loo flush. water pump and taps. The 4 switched by the master switch  all need to be switched on except for the awning light , switch that on when you need it.  On your main fuse / consumer unit, have you carried out the test on the rcd?

On 20/06/2020 at 11:56, Jiffy176 said:

I'm with Rodders on this.

But let's start at the beginning.

The fridge. Will run on Gas mains and 12v.

Gas and mains are self explanatory. 12v only works when you connect to the car if the car is wired correctly. The fridge does not run from the 12v any other times.

UK vans have a built in relay called the habitation which when you connect the car to the van, it switches over a set of relays that prevent any of the 12v services in the van being used , operates the 12v heating element in the fridge and charges the leisure battery.

When disconnected from the car and plugged into the mains the 12v and 230v systems are different.

What I think is happening is as Rodders suggested, something is causing the habitation relay to activate when you are using the lights. 

My guess would be a chaffed wire somewhere on the fridge or 12v  perm live wire from the tow plug that is receiving 12v when you turn the lights on. However it could be many things and as recommended a good caravan service engineer should be able to trace this.

It might be worth looking at where all the 12v live wires go into, in my van it looks like a fuse box, but it does an awful lot more than that as all the relays are in also present. There are lots of 12 wires grouped together, might be worth looking for places where a shirt could occur. If there is nothing obvious, time for the expert.

It is odd that not having a battery has stopped this as in theory all the same circuits will have 12v just the source is the PSU.

Can you try another battery capacity not important but if the battery is knackered they can cause strange things to occur. Even a car battery as a temp measure will do.

Thanks . My apologies . I was wrong . Disconnecting the battery does not stop the click and the voltage rising and lowering...