Updating Ford Sync3 Software and Maps.

David 38

I'm trying to update my maps on my Ford Kuga, I have to update the Sync3 software as anyone done this and been successful and now an expert?

You have to download a zip fife from Ford Website into computer then unzip and then place files on to a USB.  Plug usb into car and install.

I have problems hence I' seeking help from those that know what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance.

Just done mine this week, although I wouldn't say I'm an expert! :D

Did you format the USB to exFat before installing?

If so, it does take a while to see the sync update installing come up on the screen

42 minutes ago, ScoobyWRX said:

Just done mine this week, although I wouldn't say I'm an expert! :D

Did you format the USB to exFat before installing?

If so, it does take a while to see the sync update installing come up on the screen

I have tried several different things and regarding format I'm aware of exfat and used that on present attempt, thanks for confirmation I got something right.

You are an expert!   You completed the task.

Regarding this several minutes of seeing nothing  can you give an idea if it say 5 or more or less?

Are you Windows 10 and using Chrome?   I can change browser.

I guess I drove for about 2  or 3 miles before it showed up on the screen? 

Yes, Windows 10 using Chrome. Sorry I can't be much more help :(

Just a thought can you tell me the Sync3 version you now have and build number after the update please.

SYNC version 3.0 Build 19205

Nav maps EU 4 15

SYNC serial number LW6U00MD

I've done it twice on my 2018 S-Max and it's a long drawn out process. The last time was in Dec 2019 - there haven't been any updates for my car since then - I'll nip out to the car later and see if I can get the software ver from the dashboard (I've only kept the zip file which isn't a great deal of help)

I didn't reformat the USB drive just deleted everything on it before loading the contents of the zip file. The info on Ford's website is reasonably clear but you do need to have plenty of time to do it - my first time took nearly an hour of driving so you need to have a lot of patience and do not give up halfway through because you think there's nothing going on.  If I remember correctly the first time I did it (around Feb 2019) I had to stop, turn off the car, lock and unlock the doors and then restart for it to go through the complete update

TBH although the maps got updated the auto-speed limiter is much more random and less reliable than it was before I did the update

BTW dont forget to confirm the update on the Ford site when you've done it - A confirmation file gets written back to the usb which you have to send back to Ford

Edited by matelodave

Just checked mine from the dashboard -

Ver 3.0 (the update auto install file says its ver [SYNCGen3.0_3.0.18025]
Build: 19205

Map ver: F8

Sync Ser No:  LWAN003P

Interesting that my Map version has a different format to Scooby's (possibly coz mines an S-Max and his isn't)

Don't forget to remove the drive when it's finished updating otherwise it will try doing it again the next time you start the car - guess how I know :(

Edited by matelodave

I've got V3.0 but build 18025

Because build is different does that matter?

If it is just the V3.0 that matters to have could it be I'm really uptodate but the person who did the update didn't do this notification you both mention?

Just tried again and for over half an hour no updating messages, all I got was a single line confirming I had plugged the USB in.

I near giving up on this :-(

I'm really not sure if the 18025 build is the previous build that gets updated to 19025. (the autouinstall.lst suggests that it might) However I dont know what my previous version was or whether it doesn't work if the notification file hadn't been sent back to Ford. I didn't retain my previous update files so I cant check previous build numbers.

If you check in the troubleshooting guide at the bottom - there seems to be another zip file you can download which sucks out thelog-file to send back to Ford - check here https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/update#/

Have you entered in your VIN number into the Ford Sync update website and has it told you that it requires an update. Have you then downloaded the update and unpacked the zip file to the usb drive. If so have a look at the autoinstall.lst file that's there - here's mine from my Dec 2109 update for comparison (I used Notepad++ to view it)

Just had a thought - if you check your autoinstall.lst and it suggests that it's an earlier release then I'd guess that the log file didn't get sent back so you might need to do that first so that the Ford system know which version to send you.  (Just be aware that mines an S-Max and yours isn't so there may be differences anyway)

; SYNC3 Consumer Assembly Upgrade - Release 3.0.13 - Only for Nav/EU assemblies.

[SYNCGen3.0_3.0.18025]
Item1 = HB5T-14G386-THA
Open1 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-THA.tar.gz
Item2 = HB5T-14G386-TCB
Open2 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-TCB.tar.gz
Item3 = JR3T-14G391-AD
Open3 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G391-AD.tar.gz
Item4 = JR3T-14G381-AL
Open4 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G381-AL.tar.gz
Item5 = JR3T-14G423-AB
Open5 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G423-AB.tar.gz
Item6 = HB5T-14G387-AAB
Open6 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G387-AAB.tar.gz
Item7 = GB5T-14G386-AB
Open7 = SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-AB.tar.gz
Options = Delay,Include,Transaction

Edited by matelodave

4 hours ago, matelodave said:

BTW dont forget to confirm the update on the Ford site when you've done it - A confirmation file gets written back to the usb which you have to send back to Ford

I had forgotten to do this and had already cleared the USB used :blush: before I realised, so I went through the whole process again and logged it with Ford

I'm guessing that you didn't need to go through the whole process, look at the link I pasted - here's how to do it (go to link above to download the zip file). It's probably a shortcut to extracting the log file (I haven't tried it myself)

"Having trouble getting a log file generated for your SYNC 3 update? Please follow below steps:

Download this package (ZIP 44KB) and extract it on a USB stick (the USB stick needs to in ex-fat format)

Enter your vehicle and switch on the engine

When Sync 3 is fully loaded, insert the USB stick

Wait until an “installation complete” message appears (it may take approximately 1 minute). This should now have produced a new log file

Return to your PC and complete your update by uploading the log file onto the Ford website.

As I said, perhaps the reason that David can't do an upgrade is because the file that Ford are sending down is a previous version because their database is unaware that his car has already been updated so it needs the relevant log file.

Edited by matelodave

:lol: I missed that to :blush:

Edited by ScoobyWRX

Does anyone else remember when you could mend a car with a handful of spanners?  Ahh, the "good old days" :(

34 minutes ago, Flat_at said:

Does anyone else remember when you could mend a car with a handful of spanners?  Ahh, the "good old days" :(

Yes but then you always found one size of spanner needed had gone missing.  :-)

3 hours ago, Flat_at said:

How times have changed!  I remember when cars needed serviced every 3000 miles, engines were knackered after 50 or 60 thousand miles, and cars literally fell apart with rust.  Now we have cars that will happily run for 150K miles plus, with servicing only every 20K miles, and when is the last time you saw a really rusty car?  It won't be rust or a dead engine that will scrap your car now, but computer problems, lack of software updates or the like.

I tried again completely, different computer, new usb and did it on a run of double the 25/30 minutes in the instructiona.

Screen acknowledged when I inserted USB, said Indexing then Indexing complete then from then on absolutely nothing.

I think I now have to live with what I got like I guess most Ford car owners that never give a thought to updating. 

I have sent an e-mail to Ford to ask is my version the latest.

I think local Ford will be like my previous car dealer and not a bit interested in doing these updates and if they were at £100 a hour it would be an obscene bill.

Use Google maps for free on your phone. 

My daughter arrived yesterday having driven 2,000 miles from S. Spain using Google maps. When her boys wanted pancakes in France, Google maps showed a creperie 5 mins away. 

It gives you everything you want at no cost and no hassle. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

12 hours ago, PeteG said:

How times have changed!  I remember when cars needed serviced every 3000 miles, engines were knackered after 50 or 60 thousand miles, and cars literally fell apart with rust.  Now we have cars that will happily run for 150K miles plus, with servicing only every 20K miles, and when is the last time you saw a really rusty car?  It won't be rust or a dead engine that will scrap your car now, but computer problems, lack of software updates or the like.

Remember when the bottoms of the front wings started to flap? Baked bean tin, pop rivets, a bit of filler and a quick squirt with a paint can. ;)

Edited by Flat_at

1 hour ago, David 38 said:

I tried again completely, different computer, new usb and did it on a run of double the 25/30 minutes in the instructiona.

Screen acknowledged when I inserted USB, said Indexing then Indexing complete then from then on absolutely nothing.

I think I now have to live with what I got like I guess most Ford car owners that never give a thought to updating. 

I have sent an e-mail to Ford to ask is my version the latest.

I think local Ford will be like my previous car dealer and not a bit interested in doing these updates and if they were at £100 a hour it would be an obscene bill.

That's strange, when I did mine a second time because I forgot to log that installation went ok on the Ford site, it went through the whole updating process again for me :unsure:

42 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Use Google maps for free on your phone. 

My daughter arrived yesterday having driven 2,000 miles from S. Spain using Google maps. When her boys wanted pancakes in France, Google maps showed a creperie 5 mins away. 

It gives you everything you want at no cost and no hassle. 

Wonder how she achieved that?  (By the way I'm not into the fancy things on my phone.)

After a couple of minutes my phone goes off.

Is the info from the Phone if so could be dangerous if looking at it driving or does it appear on car screen?

Is there costs involved with phone charges?  I'm PAYG with no Data allowance.

Has to be a smart phone and you download Google maps for the area you want. Then it works offline. The phone doesn't go into standby till you reach your destination. No costs and no data used. We use a suction clamp for the window and its made for smart phones. 

Not linked to car screen, just the phone. 

Edited by WispMan

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Thanks, yes mines a Galaxy 20 so can do maps, I assume no direction voice or is there?

I have Sygie free* maps on phone as I have been told they can be seen on car screen and the car can use them, I've yet to find out how to enable this trying to sort one thing at a time like the Ford download.

In theory Ford Sync might allow Apps to be run on the phone and displayed on the screen. BUT I've not tried to do that (19 plate Galaxy) too hard so far, other than the Ford Pass app.   You may need to enable Android Auto on the vehicle to do so, and an App to your phone (unless it is Android 10 where it's already built in)? 

https://www.android.com/intl/en_uk/auto/

(Ford's Live Traffic and Ford Pass requires Android Auto to be disabled though...)

A phone screen in a holder is no more dangerous than the main screen on the car! 

My Ford Galaxys have all had a nice triangular window by the driver where a suction mount works perfectly without obscuring forward vision.  IIRC the Kuga has a similar window? 

Just got back from Ford they say I've got it wrong by dragging the un-zipped file to the usb, I should have when dealing with the zipped file to have directed results to the usb.