Difficulty insuring car because of caravan length

My car insurance renewal arrived last week with Direct Line and it has barely changed from last year.

Funnily enough, it was Direct Line that requested the dimension of my van and told me that their policy would not cover a van over 7 metres.

54 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

Same here.  I advised the insurance company, but they're not bothered.

Are you by any chance over the age of 70?  This could be why

No I am not yet over 70, does this mean more trouble next year?

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

In the end I went back to the original company, and negotiated a reduction down to last years premium.

So no more prating about over length of the van.

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

1 hour ago, Babstreefern said:

OP will be 70 next November.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

1 hour ago, Babstreefern said:

No not age thing with my insurer at least as I'm in my 80's.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

1 hour ago, Grandpa Steve said:

But as the OP's caravan's body length is within the 7 metres it should be irrelevant to the insurance quote, and also should not be used as an excuse to refuse cover.

Well, not according to what he states he was advising the insurance companies, I quote, but they will not cover me because my van is over 7 metres. "

The reality is he and probably the insurers were at cross purposes, the OP was stating it was over 7 metres, and the insurance companies were reading from the rules.

If he had said it was under 7 metres, as by the "definition of length" ruling here, I suspect they would not have raised an issue. I also suspect car insurance staff are probably not that familiar with the lengths of various caravans, even if advised what model was involved so they could look it up, again I suspect they would expect the OP to know their van's length. Seems they did not know it was under 7 metres, if measured as it should be.

I am confused.  The OP said "Yes, they asked for its length minus the a frame and the width."  If the body of the caravan is under 7 metres  and the OP gave them a correct figure then where did the insurers get the information that it is over 7 metres.