21 minutes ago, Hort2074 said:

That is very interesting. I wonder if, when buying a new car in the UK, one could ask for it?

Lutz has mentioned this a few times on topics and I can not remember anyone saying they have seen the certificate of conformity for their car. The mere mortals amongst us have to settle for the V5C mass in service, any handbook information and possibly using a weighbridge.

Edited by Paul1957

You can request it from the manufacturer-am sure I've read it somewhere in the dim and distant past! I think it is needed if you import a car etc too. These days bet they have it on some website somewhere. 

Aha here we go; https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/mutual-recognition 

By now the poor OP will be mind boggled-looks like your vehicle is a good match -even if it is 90% . 90% will be fine! 

Edited by Jezzerb
40 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

By now the poor OP will be mind boggled-looks like your vehicle is a good match -even if it is 90% . 90% will be fine! 

The OP has not logged on to read the replies so possibly not yet mind boggled. Could have seen them as a guest but then I would have thought the OP would have given some feedback needing to log in.

• Like 1
On 17/06/2020 at 04:54, MichelleL said:

I wondered where you look , I worried about mine , I only have a 1.2 turbo but it pulls it fine .

Its not a small 2 birth but not a big one either :)

That would be a medium 2 birth then.:D

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/06/2020 at 08:07, madasmad said:

The kerb weight of your car is @1580kg (check this on your V5) which gives you a match of @90% which is a little on the high side for a beginner. However think about getting dedicated towbar electrics, ATC on the caravan and a towing course before you start towing anger as this will help no end. Remember if you got your license after 1997 then you will need to take a further test to tow this outfit.

How would you come to this conclusion, if you don't mind me asking? a 1580kg kerb weight combined with a caravans mtplm of 1420kg is 500kg under the figure of 3500kg that would neccesitate a B+E test.

• I disagree 1
13 minutes ago, clarkey1984 said:

How would you come to this conclusion, if you don't mind me asking? a 1580kg kerb weight combined with a caravans mtplm of 1420kg is 500kg under the figure of 3500kg that would neccesitate a B+E test.

For licence definition it is based on the cars maximum gross weight, NOT kerbweight.

Edited by GaryB1969

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

45 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

For licence definition it is based on the cars maximum gross weight, NOT kerbweight.

I did not know that, thanks for explaining, although that does seem a little counterproductive to me, especially given that when it comes to getting pulled for say overloading when driving a van loaded up with materials, the actual physical weight of the vehicle including it's contents is what's important, and what it obviously boils down to, yet in towing terms you would be theoretically over weight but physically several hundred kg underweight depending on the vehicle and your license, yet would still be in the wrong, i'm guessing the same would apply to trailers and their plated weights then, in that you could have a trailer that's MAM is say 2500kg, but you'd not be allowed to tow it to move it for example even when completely empty, and where it could weigh under a tonne, without a B+E, just because it can be loaded to be that heavy doesn't mean it is.

18 minutes ago, clarkey1984 said:

just because it can be loaded to be that heavy doesn't mean it is.

I know where you're coming from but for B licence holders it's the weight written/plated on both the trailer/caravan plate as the MTPLM and what's on the car's plate as the Gross Vehicle Weight (and also the Gross Train Weight).  While there are several car/caravan combinations that fall under 3500kgs there's also quite a few that just nudge over.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

If over 3500kg on a category B licence you are also uninsured because on every insurance certificate is something very similar to

“Provided the person driving holds, or has held and is not disqualified from holding, a licence to drive that class of vehicle” 

If you have a cat B licence and the max permitted weight of the combination is 3501Kg you cannot be insured (even if you have paid a premium):because of the sentence in italics above.  

Many have fallen foul of that over the years! 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills