My caravan doesn't have a roof mounted aerial (thanks Adria). It came with a domestic setup purchased by the previous owner. However I've tried it and couldn't get it to work both times. I also think it's a bit of faff to erect - I know what you're thinking, but I like things to be as quick and simple as possible when setting up. So don't really want to invest the time to find out whats wrong with it either. 

Has anyone tried the powered internal aerials and if so which one? There are numerous on Amazon at differing prices. 

TIA. 

Easiest option surely is to get a status rooftop aerial fitted. Not a cheap item, but they work! 

Andy

Thanks for the suggestion and I agree it's very easy in terms of setting up. However I don't want to drill or have a hole drilled in the roof. 

1 minute ago, swirly182 said:

Thanks for the suggestion and I agree it's very easy in terms of setting up. However I don't want to drill or have a hole drilled in the roof. 

Why ever not ? It’s got big holes called windows and doors in the side. Just about every other caravan has a roof mounted aerial! 

If yiu get one fitted now its odds on it will be a better job than would be done at the factory 

Generally they are as good as useless unless you've got a really good signal

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, matelodave said:

Generally they are as good as useless unless you've got a really good signal

On the assumption you are referring to the Status roof aerial

I would agree that’s the case for the old “flying saucer” type, especially if you are trying to get Freeview through it! but the newer “swept back” ones are much better! I have never had any problem getting a signal with mine. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

8 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Why ever not ? It’s got big holes called windows and doors in the side. Just about every other caravan has a roof mounted aerial! 

If yiu get one fitted now its odds on it will be a better job than would be done at the factory 

Yep, you aren't going to convince me. Thanks for trying though. 

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

I would agree that’s the case for the old “flying saucer” type, especially if you are trying to get Freeview through it! but the newer “swept back” ones are much better! I have never had any problem getting a signal with mine. 

Andy

I based my answer on the specific question that the OP put up about internal aerials.

'twas others who introduced the concept of external ones, to which my answer does not apply. I am more than happy with the performance of my Status but that wasn't the question that was asked - just saying

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Something to consider, when you move areas the TV has to be tuned to the local transmitter. If this has not been done then any aerial will not give a picture. I have usually managed to get a reasonable picture with the roof top status aerial provided it is pointing in the right direction. In areas of poor reception sites often have a bollard to plug in a coax cable from the back of the TV.

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

I would have to disagree with you there Andy. The flying saucer was significantly better at receiving Freeview than it was at analogue - provided it was the later type with the amp in the box and not in the aerial and purple writing on the aerial.

Been there done that etc etc......

In terms of the internal aerials I personally have found them to be complete rubbish and just a waste of money. I have tried a few over the years without success. As an alternative you could try a satellite dish which I know seems like hard work but some are easier than others and with practice can be put up and tuned within minutes. The Maxview Remora is compact and clamps to the side of the caravan or there are others that come with a tripod. Or if you wish to invest you could look at something like the ViewQube that is auto seeking? (I have no affiliation to MaxView).

• Thanks 1

Get yourself an Avtex Twig, when we change the van it's coming with us, best aerial we have had,  They may not supply them now due to the bad publicity but I swear by ours, no faffing about left a bit, right a bit up a bit, just tune in and relax with a cup of Yorkshire Gold on arrival 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

Get yourself an Avtex Twig, when we change the van it's coming with us, best aerial we have had,  They may not supply them now due to the bad publicity but I swear by ours, no faffing about left a bit, right a bit up a bit, just tune in and relax with a cup of Yorkshire Gold on arrival 

Where do you mount it? 

Do not bother with amplified set top aerials.  This is from a professional aerial man:  

https://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/aerials/indoor-set-top-aerials

and

https://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/aerials/aerials-for-caravans-and-boats

The Avtex twig aerial is an amplified omnidirectional design on a slant to attempt to receive both V and H planes of transmission.  Neither fully successfully. (Apart from a very few very satisfied customers, who are the exception that proves the rule).  They mount through a hole in the roof.

A proper log periodic or similar TV aerial with a pole mount takes little more time cf the Status 530/550 to erect and find a signal.  A little preparation and research makes it easier:  Using a compass (some phones have them) and the UK spectrum planners' predictions from https://www.freeview.co.uk/help (click on the <detailed view> button for the site to get pointing direction, polarisation and (manual) tuning frequencies to aid setup.

Location of the places you got nothing may be relevant?:  "In getting away from it all, we sometimes can succeed all too well"

I've been to caravan sites where I've plonked down my satellite dish and got a picture straight away. It usually takes a bit more time and care!

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

Nobody seems to have mentioned the caravan construction. An aluminium skinned caravan is a very good shield to all TV signals and any internal aerial will seldom be effective.

Other construction methods are a bit better.

• I agree completely 1

An easier and quicker solution if staying on a CMC/C&CC site or CS/CL and you have an Android smartphone download )all free) either Freepoint UK which knows all such sites and will show you the three strongest signals available and does not need a compass, UK Aerial Alignment which does much the same thing but needs a compass on the phone, or DTV Antennas which is also very similar and needs a compass as well.

If you use satellite get Satellite Director which does a similar job very effectively for satellite only and also needs a compass.

Freepoint UK will draw a map of your location and shows the direction of the three best transmitter signals in different colours - all you need to know is roughly where North is.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

My 16yrs old van has one of the original "flying saucers" and it works just fine with freeview.

Well embarrassingly, I think I'm going to backtrack and give the domestic type external one another go. I've got the kit already, even the pole to mount on the jockey wheel clamp and now I'm armed with this knowledge. I also have an external aerial socket so don't have to feed the cable through the window. 

Thanks all 👍

We had exactly the same as you Swirly.

aerial on a mast

fixed to the jockey wheel clamp and I purchased a "Labgear"digital/analogue signal finder.

It plugged in between the aerial and the tv and depending which direction you turned the aerial,the more green lights on the finder.

It was about £11 from Ebay.

9 times out of 10,we had a perfect picture.

As someone else mentioned,every different area you travel to,you may have to re-tune the tv.

(Just a case of automatic search on the tv)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, swirly182 said:

Where do you mount it? 

On the roof

• Like 1

So, how do people clamp the aerial pole in the jockey wheel bracket? The poles a smaller diameter than the jockey wheel. Pack it out with wood?

20 minutes ago, swirly182 said:

So, how do people clamp the aerial pole in the jockey wheel bracket? The poles a smaller diameter than the jockey wheel. Pack it out with wood?

With one of these?

https://www.towsure.com/caravan-jockey-wheel-tv-aerial-mast

Other devices or dealers are available.

• Thanks 1

If the pole is long enough stick the bottom well into the ground and fasten it to the front handles with a couple of zips. Did that for years before we got a van with an aerial!

• Thanks 1

I suspect your external feed will go back to the cupboard that would have had a roof aerial fitted, on my caravan to use as a feed in you need to rearrange the leads on the amp. If you are lucky a lead in this cupboard may go to your tv point. Hope this helps 
also I feel people have moved from tv to sat and now onto WiFi.

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

Thanks for all the feedback. I tried again at the storage yard yesterday and got it working. The previous owner applied a bracket to the side of the caravan to support the long poled aerial stood on the ground. It's actually pretty solid and most importantly only takes a couple of minutes to set up. Yes, it seems the external socket is connected to the TV point. 

I do download lots of content on Netflix to watch on the TV via USB-C to HDMI lead. The terrestrial is in addition to this - we have a 2 and 5 year old so will be handy if (when) it rains!