Flat_at

Advice sought regarding doorway

5 hours ago, The road toad said:

The trouble with water leaks is that where the water is pooling or evident is not necessarily the location of the leak! It can run or drip from several feet. Hope you find the source soon.

The source isn't the problem, the rest of the 'van is as dry as the proverbial bone. The door seal is doing its job, stopping water getting in, but the water is forming a pool in the bottom of the door frame. I'm trying to stop the puddle forming between the lip on the outside of the doorframe and the trim on the inside of the frame. There is nowhere, on my 'van, for the pooling water to drain away hence my thought to file a gap in the lip on the outside edge of the frame. 

Edited by Flat_at

I spent some time today trying to get a decent photo of the lower edge of the frame and failed miserably, so I've made a drawing of the frame. Hopefully it will make more sense than my description so far.  Apologies, I'm not an artist:)

148160725_2020-07-0107_57_36.thumb.jpg.8fef22457d69b5cf17ae943487afc15a.jpg

So is the lip lower than the trim that fits the other side? If so you should not get any wicking. If it isn’t then you need to cut/file/drill a drain hole in the left hand lip.

Andy

Silly question but..........

Your caravan isn’t parked on a left to right slope is it?

Whilst starting to clean / check my van over today, I noticed that there is a lot of dried dust at the bottom of door frame. 
This brought this thread to mind, and I gave it a good looking over. 
The setup on my lunar clubman 2018 is identical to your sketch. There does not appear to be anywhere for water to drain  from the lower sil. 
something else to keep an eye on. 

• I agree completely 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

So is the lip lower than the trim that fits the other side? If so you should not get any wicking. If it isn’t then you need to cut/file/drill a drain hole in the left hand lip.

Andy

Silly question but..........

Your caravan isn’t parked on a left to right slope is it?

Thanks Andy

The lip is slightly higher than the bottom of the trim, the 'van is parked level, side to side and front to back, a drain hole I think is the way to go.  A thought has come to mind, is the frame moulded or folded? If it's folded and I were to make a gap, there may be a seam which could lead to a problem with water going down into the wall, oh dear. :(

Edited by Flat_at
oops

A smear of clear silicone ??

I just googled; caravan door pooling water at the bottom and there are too  many  for me to give you a link,  you can google it yourself , but most say to replace the seal