Advice sought regarding doorway

5 hours ago, The road toad said:

The trouble with water leaks is that where the water is pooling or evident is not necessarily the location of the leak! It can run or drip from several feet. Hope you find the source soon.

The source isn't the problem, the rest of the 'van is as dry as the proverbial bone. The door seal is doing its job, stopping water getting in, but the water is forming a pool in the bottom of the door frame. I'm trying to stop the puddle forming between the lip on the outside of the doorframe and the trim on the inside of the frame. There is nowhere, on my 'van, for the pooling water to drain away hence my thought to file a gap in the lip on the outside edge of the frame. 

Edited by Flat_at

I'm not afraid of hard work,  I'm terrified of it! If you don't swear when you're driving, you're not paying attention! I like children but can't eat a whole one.  If you can't say something nice, don't say anything! Don't call me an idiot, I would take it as a compliment. Not all my ducks are in a row, some are missing and I think one is a pigeon. I know my place, under my wife's thumb!

I spent some time today trying to get a decent photo of the lower edge of the frame and failed miserably, so I've made a drawing of the frame. Hopefully it will make more sense than my description so far.  Apologies, I'm not an artist:)

148160725_2020-07-0107_57_36.thumb.jpg.8fef22457d69b5cf17ae943487afc15a.jpg

I'm not afraid of hard work,  I'm terrified of it! If you don't swear when you're driving, you're not paying attention! I like children but can't eat a whole one.  If you can't say something nice, don't say anything! Don't call me an idiot, I would take it as a compliment. Not all my ducks are in a row, some are missing and I think one is a pigeon. I know my place, under my wife's thumb!

So is the lip lower than the trim that fits the other side? If so you should not get any wicking. If it isn’t then you need to cut/file/drill a drain hole in the left hand lip.

Andy

Silly question but..........

Your caravan isn’t parked on a left to right slope is it?

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Whilst starting to clean / check my van over today, I noticed that there is a lot of dried dust at the bottom of door frame. 
This brought this thread to mind, and I gave it a good looking over. 
The setup on my lunar clubman 2018 is identical to your sketch. There does not appear to be anywhere for water to drain  from the lower sil. 
something else to keep an eye on. 

• I agree completely 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

So is the lip lower than the trim that fits the other side? If so you should not get any wicking. If it isn’t then you need to cut/file/drill a drain hole in the left hand lip.

Andy

Silly question but..........

Your caravan isn’t parked on a left to right slope is it?

Thanks Andy

The lip is slightly higher than the bottom of the trim, the 'van is parked level, side to side and front to back, a drain hole I think is the way to go.  A thought has come to mind, is the frame moulded or folded? If it's folded and I were to make a gap, there may be a seam which could lead to a problem with water going down into the wall, oh dear. :(

Edited by Flat_at
oops

A smear of clear silicone ??

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

I just googled; caravan door pooling water at the bottom and there are too  many  for me to give you a link,  you can google it yourself , but most say to replace the seal

Happy Days

Thanks Joanie, I have done as you suggested and found a post, on here from  danwill17, who had the same problem as me. He filed some notches in the lip and put some sealant into the trim which solved his problem.  I am going to carefully take a file to the frame, when the weather improves, see what happens and post later with the results. :Thankyou: to all who have commented and taken an interest. :)

Edited by Flat_at
Doh, again

we await with bated breath , hope you find a solution soon and let us know how you get on:)

• Haha 1

Happy Days

Hi again, yesterday I had a very close look at the bottom of my door and frame (specs on and magnifying glass) and found that the seal on the door was still dragging on the lip on the frame, so the door was raised a little further, another 2mm. I have decided not to take a file to the frame, it's worked so far so why doesn't it work now? I can only assume that the door had become lowered somehow. I have some electric cable with cores of 3mm (including insulation) and am thinking of putting some of that in the groove in the trim to lift it slightly from the bottom of the frame. The damp reading is still going down, now at 15%. :)

As an aside when I removed the trim I had to take off the door catch striker, I noticed that the screws were very tight in the holes. Did Elddis order the wrong size holes, or the wrong size screws? 

Me again. The damp readings are down to around 8% today so I've put the trim back in place. I didn't go with the electric cable in the trim groove idea, I felt that it was too "floppy" on the door frame due to the insulation not being fastened to the copper. Instead I used some 3mm diameter lead free solder, left over from another project, this has lifted the trim away from the bottom of the frame and doesn't look too out of place. I didn't take a file to the frame, I didn't want to risk another problem. Now just waiting for some rain to see what happens next. Thanks to all for your thoughts and suggestions. :)

• Like 1