First time caravanner.. bought a lemon.

Jimbobjones

How did you pay for the caravan and did you pay any deposits on a credit card?

7 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Give that man a prize, Mabel! 

We've got to be ever so PC today  so best to mention Barney ?

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

I find it hard to believe any reputable dealer would even have this on his forecourt?  If as you admit, you "know nothing about caravans"  would it not have been better to have it examined by an independant caravan engineer before purchase? I'm sure most engineers would carry out an inspection for a small fee, and give you a written report before parting with your cash. I do wish you luck in resolving this issue, and hope it doesn't put you off caravanning.

• I agree completely 1

6 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

If anyone-else is trying to trace a logo - this is where I found it … 

1BA9266E-ECF8-43C3-89A8-58F32E9607E1.thumb.jpeg.a0d5675c0552ce9a3db9715d94b83518.jpeg

https://www.caravanfinder.co.uk/caravans-directory/caravan-manufacturers.html

John

I had a look at that site, but looking for a letter A , should have turned my laptop upside down.

• I agree completely 1

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Bunce said:

I find it hard to believe any reputable dealer would even have this on his forecourt?  If as you admit, you "know nothing about caravans"  would it not have been better to have it examined by an independant caravan engineer before purchase? I'm sure most engineers would carry out an inspection for a small fee, and give you a written report before parting with your cash. I do wish you luck in resolving this issue, and hope it doesn't put you off caravanning.

We can all be wise after the event! Unfortunately for the OP his enthusiasm overtook his wisdom, he has now learned and has been set on the road to rectifying his mistake. Have you never made a mistake?

• I agree completely 1

Forums are used as a source of information, and the posts about this will almost certainly be of  help to others.

All praise to the OP for being brave enough to ask the question, plaudits to the very good and knowledgeable advice given by so many, and credit again to the OP for responding with updates.

Plus, I think that was a brilliant letter.

There is little point in any of us speculating any further. Jim has sent his (very good) letter off to the seller who now needs to respond, or not respond as the case may be. My money is on the no response option. 

Once that has (or has not happened) then Jim is either going to get his money back and a space on his driveway OR he is going to become acquainted with the County Court process. 

On the subject of County Court I have used them a couple of times in the past, once for a defective bit of electrical kit, and once for an appalling holiday supplied by Airtours. I won both! The staff at the county Court are exceedingly helpful and will do everything to assist you if you ask. The procedure is very straight forward, you have done most of it already in your letter and photographs. The dealer may well think you are bluffing, that misconception will be dispelled when he gets the paperwork from the court. At that point he may decide to cut his losses and hand back your money. He may also decide to play a bit of brinkmanship and leave it up until the date of any hearing to settle up at the last minute. That’s what I reckon he will do as he won’t want a County Court Judgement lodged against his name. Either way he is going to have to pay the costs so be sure to keep meticulous records of any expenditure incurred. 

Just st got to be a bit patient now! 

Andy

• Like 2

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Just now, Stevan said:

We can all be wise after the event! Unfortunately for the OP his enthusiasm overtook his wisdom, he has now learned and has been set on the road to rectifying his mistake. Have you never made a mistake?

Oh, lots of mistakes Stevan! My post was not meant to be a criticism, as obviously this must have been a very upsetting experience, and he had come to the Forum for advice. I was just wondering (aloud) if getting an independent inspection would have been a good idea, as the gentleman in question had no previous experience of caravans, and this would have avoided the heartbreak he is going through now. I know little about cars, but when I bought my last second hand one, I had an inspection done, at my cost, as I was parting with several thousands of pounds. It just seemed the sensible thing to do?  I do take your point though, its easy to be wise after the event, we have all done it in the past and I'm no exception!

• Like 2

It seems to my bride and myself. The so called dealer showed you around the good caravan, then delivered to you a scrap one. As we are very sure you would have noticed all the defects while having a look around the caravan you were viewing.

In hindsight if I see a caravan I like and plan to buy I think I will take photographs of it prior to delivery.

Has anyone else done this?

I have once but it would never have occurred to me that anyone would try it on and swap vans without me knowing. 

I suppose photographing the CrIS number would suffice. 

• Like 1

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

10 hours ago, BOAC said:

In hindsight if I see a caravan I like and plan to buy I think I will take photographs of it prior to delivery.

Yes guilty as charged? I took a picture of the vin plate on the dealer demo van, I wanted to satisfy my mind that the van we were being given at handover was in fact a new one and not their sales demo van ? happy to report that I should not have had any doubts ?? 

• Like 1

I would go along with Mr Plod. A small claims summons costs very little but the dealer would probably need a solicitor costing him far more. It might be worth checking if there are any Google or other reviews on him, to see if there is any help, with how he deals with these things.

I did use the Scottish system to pursue a cruise line that messed up badly on my daughters holiday and then just lied in reply to their complaint. She got back approximately twice what she would have accepted if they had dealt with it correctly plus her costs which were minimal, but they did delay until the last minute.

I do have to admit though I have dealt with them as part of my work on many occaissions so I was familiar with the procedure but most people should have no problems.

I came out in a cold sweat when i saw the cracks in the Tyre sidewalls, i cant believe the company towed it to the op`s house with Tyres like that 

• I agree completely 1

18 hours ago, BOAC said:

no, but when buying a new one once  we had the CRiS number put on the invoice, the dealer had a few of them and I didn't want the demo one.

Happy Days

4 hours ago, Arrand said:

I came out in a cold sweat when i saw the cracks in the Tyre sidewalls, i cant believe the company towed it to the op`s house with Tyres like that 

Sadly that would seem to sum up the attitude of this “dealer” 

I very much feel that Jim is going to have to resort to the Small Claims Court to get this mess sorted out. Hopefully the “dealer” will see sense and cut his losses now before any court action is commenced as he must know he hasn’t a hope in hell of defending any action. The photograph of the gas locker alone would be enough to prove his case ! 

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Unfortunately as we all know there are some dealers who are just crooks. They will delay and prevaricate right up to the day of court with, as they see it, no cost to themselves.  It is a fact that many people, who are ripped off, will not have the bottle to go down the small claims route.   The fact that it is a cheap and easy process has been illustrated time after time.  But people still shrink from pursuing these crooks.  Every time these dealers get away with it simply reinforces their feeling of invulnerability.  Go for it. You have the evidence. You have the right. 

• Like 1

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Going by the photos, it 'could' be one of those caravans that a dealer accepts as part ex as an easy way for the owner to get rid of it. I was only given £1k trade in for my 2004 Swift, which on the face of it was a really nice caravan, so I doubt the dealer would have given much at all as part ex for the OP's van, other than a bit of a discount on the next van purchased.

I would expect the van to be then moved on to be sold elsewhere for peanuts, or given as scrap. But in this case the van has ended up at a dealer who has passed it off at a 'mint condition' van.

No offence to the OP, just my observations from the photos. Maybe the rest of the van is nice, including the interior? 

5 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Sadly that would seem to sum up the attitude of this “dealer” 

I very much feel that Jim is going to have to resort to the Small Claims Court to get this mess sorted out. Hopefully the “dealer” will see sense and cut his losses now before any court action is commenced as he must know he hasn’t a hope in hell of defending any action. The photograph of the gas locker alone would be enough to prove his case ! 

Andy

Andy,

I agree that the op will probably end up in the county court. This can now be done online through the Northampton County Court where you specify which court location you would like to proceed in. This takes about 10 minutes to complete. I took a well known bed company to court, which they stupidly decided to defend. As my case was water tight the district judge stopped the case and asked the defendant to take me outside and make me an offer a couldn’t refuse or he would. It was fair to say I was well satisfied. However, in most cases the defendant either capitulates before the hearing or doesn’t show up where you win by default. Personally, in a case like this I would bump straight to the high court, after a successful judgement and instruct the bailiffs to recover my monies, as people who are prepared to sell goods of this quality care about nothing, so the full force of the civil law should be brought to bear.

2020 Swift Eccles 650 towed by Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 4.4

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"

17 minutes ago, madasmad said:

Andy,

I agree that the op will probably end up in the county court. This can now be done online through the Northampton County Court where you specify which court location you would like to proceed in. This takes about 10 minutes to complete. I took a well known bed company to court, which they stupidly decided to defend. As my case was water tight the district judge stopped the case and asked the defendant to take me outside and make me an offer a couldn’t refuse or he would. It was fair to say I was well satisfied. However, in most cases the defendant either capitulates before the hearing or doesn’t show up where you win by default. Personally, in a case like this I would bump straight to the high court, after a successful judgement and instruct the bailiffs to recover my monies, as people who are prepared to sell goods of this quality care about nothing, so the full force of the civil law should be brought to bear.

Yes most district judges don't suffer fools, especially those who try to pull the wool, they, the wool pullers, think they have a new and unique case or excuse, but the judge has heard it all before and what he says goes. ?

Just a word of caution - yes, the cc is the way to go but you may find that you win the case but the company just gets a CVA and defaults on all its payments.

We made a successful claim against a consultancy / training company and were awarded more than £10,000 but actually getting it was very difficult and ended up with having to get a variation order to change the name of the offending company as they'd moved all their assets around. It was eventually successful but not something I'd want to do again.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1986 Honda XBR500

It may also be worth asking trading standards to look at the case. Depends on where you live as the service can be variable though.

The OP has received advice and sent his written notification, which includes a Trading Standards case number, to the seller. Currently no further advice or speculation is needed and I'm sure we all wish to avoid any risk of impeding or prejudicing any proceedings. Hopefully there will be an update in the event of any developments.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2

Non in legendo sed in intelligendo leges consistunt.

The laws depend not on being read, but on being understood.