muso68

Caravan recovery & breakdown cover

Posted (edited)

It’s hard getting thru to insurance companies at the moment, so just seeking advice from members about breakdown cover, in the unlikely event of the caravan itself breaking down, not the car  while travelling? I normally only take out Aviva/RAC roadside, recovery and at home cover as it’s been many years since I had a car breakdown while towing and way back then, the caravan was recovered at the same time as the car.

Can anyone tell me if the Caravan Clubs Mayday Premium UK cover would recover a caravan if the car breaks down, or recover a caravan on its own if only the caravan broke down or was damaged?

I understand my current Aviva/RAC cover would only recover the caravan on its own for an extra charge, so have any members had to do that and what was the cost? I know the RAC have an ‘Arrivals’ policy which does recover caravans on their own, but it’s very expensive.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by muso68

Hi muso, whilst you cannot say it will never happen ,what is it you envisage occurring that could be described as a "caravan breakdown"?

Also before you take out cover you need to check that the van is covered-it is not straightforward as you need to be sure who you choose will recover your van as many policies have restrictions on van length.

Maybe have a look at the MSE website and see what comes up as well as those available via the clubs and well known national outfits.

Your usual policy may already cover a towed van.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

If you have a Nationwide Flexplus account you already have pan European breakdown cover that includes a caravan. 

If your caravan ever gets damaged and cannot be towed then your caravan insurance would cover the costs of transportation to wherever it needed to go. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Thanks 1

we have found that the car ins.  will also  include the caravan in any breakdown while the caravan is attached to the car, however you will need a separate caravan ins. for fire, theft and accidental damage.  Also make sure that when you take out an ins. that it has all the important bits that you want, even if sometimes you may have to pay extra for it.  I agree with Allan Guest , above, that you have to ensure that the ins. deals with your size caravan, I believe the 8 foot wide ones are having a problem with that on some ins. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

If your caravan ever gets damaged and cannot be towed then your caravan insurance would cover the costs of transportation to wherever it needed to go. 

That’s a good point about my caravan insurance - I’ve got the CMC insurance so will check that for caravan damage, but it’s doubtful it would recover the caravan for a breakdown.

My RAC/Aviva breakdown cover would recover the caravan if the car breaks down, but would charge extra - £200? - if just the caravan had a breakdown.

2 hours ago, Allan Guest said:

Hi muso, whilst you cannot say it will never happen ,what is it you envisage occurring that could be described as a "caravan breakdown"?

I guess the simplest ‘caravan breakdown’ would be a flat tyre, but as both I and my caravan get older, I’m just looking at what else could go wrong.

For example, I've got ATC, which could fail and lock on, etc.

Edited by muso68
Clarity

I had a hitch damper fail in the wilds of Scotland. Car breakdown cover (Brittania Rescue at the time )wouldn't touch it as there was nothing wrong with car. They would recover caravan if car was recovered but not on its own. Had to tow caravan slowly all way to Stirling to get fixed with van crashing into back of car all the way.

It's these type of mechanical breakdowns of the van you need to have covered, and they are not covered on most car breakdown insurance.  I check this with any I look at and the most popular don't cover caravan only breakdowns (Green Flag, Nationwide, AA, RAC etc.) .

Mayday\Greenflag do cover, and I suppose RAC Arrival might as they are designed by the club's with vanners in mind, hence the extra cost.

They are not covered on caravan insurance as this is for accident recovery.

Check before you buy. You don't want to be arguing about this on side of a motorway.

• Thanks 1

Thanks AndyK for that.

I’ve towed caravans and trailers on & off for 40 years and never had a problem, but now in my 70’s, having clipped my caravan 2 years ago and my wife having a small car accident this year, both of which involved insurance claims, I’m realising  that I’m not as bulletproof as I thought I was! 

I also don’t want to throw money at insurance co.s, so just trying to be realistic and  find out what is covered and what isn’t, by breakdown cover.

6 hours ago, muso68 said:

Can anyone tell me if the Caravan Clubs Mayday Premium UK cover would recover a caravan if the car breaks down, or recover a caravan on its own if only the caravan broke down or was damaged?

Premium covers car or caravan breakdown. I renewed mine a few days ago and distinctly remember this being included.

• Thanks 1

I have it in writing from Britannia that they will recover a caravan if the fault is with that rather than the towcar. How long ago was your experience Andy?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, iansoady said:

I have it in writing from Britannia that they will recover a caravan if the fault is with that rather than the towcar. How long ago was your experience Andy?

It was a few years ago to be honest, but I use this as an example recently when questioning cover and all said wouldn't be covered.

You may have in writing, but is it quoted in cover documents?

As I said, wouldn't be wanting to have the debate at the side of a motorway on a cold wet

night (ok worse case scenario)

Edited by AndyK159
  • Thanks 1

What it says in the cover document is:

Definitions:

"any vehicle registered in the UK, being driven by or carrying the Nationwide FlexPlus
account holder(s) or a vehicle registered in the UK and owned and registered to the
account holder(s), which is being used with the permission of the account holder(s)
and does not exceed any of the following dimensions when fully loaded:
- Caravans and trailers - 8 metres in length (including A-frame)....."

As caravans are included in the definition of "vehicle" the it follows that all the services available to any vehicle are available for a caravan.

I take your point and wouldn't want to argue the toss. But what alternative do I have? I do carry a copy of the letter with me.....

• Thanks 1

If you take out annual insurance for  your caravan with Lifesure they will for a small extra charge include breakdown recovery for the caravan alone if it is the caravan itself which suffers a breakdown.  Last time I looked it was £10 a year extra premium for that on top of the annual caravan insurance. 

• Thanks 1

On 14/06/2020 at 20:07, Ern said:

Premium covers car or caravan breakdown. I renewed mine a few days ago and distinctly remember this being included.

Is it only the Mayday Premium UK plus cover that includes caravan breakdown or recovery?

When applying for cover thro the Caravan Club site, by selecting ‘car only’ gives a quote for the lower cost Premium UK cover and selecting ‘car & caravan’ gives a quote for the more expensive Premium UK plus cover, as shown on the attached pic.

C541C5DE-0E1D-4C57-BD65-6E447567DB51.thumb.png.90a33b028dd6caf6c021dc361418831c.png

Sorry - didn’t need to submit that last post. I contacted Green Flag and yes, the Mayday Premium UK covers caravan breakdown too.

I have Mayday and they will recover the caravan if that breaks down. I understood the RAC. Arrival policy was the same although I have not been able to find full details on the web site. It does not read as if you would be charged extra to recover the caravan if that broke but it would help if you could point to where they say that.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wildwood said:

I have Mayday and they will recover the caravan if that breaks down. I understood the RAC. Arrival policy was the same although I have not been able to find full details on the web site. It does not read as if you would be charged extra to recover the caravan if that broke but it would help if you could point to where they say that.

Hi - it was an Rac/Aviva policy I was looking at,  not the RAC Arrival policy, which does cover Caravans.

I’ve had Aviva breakdown cover in the past and know they use the RAC  and it’s their policy which says that they would only recover a broken down caravan for an extra charge, if the car was ok.

The C&CC put a lot of business the RAC's way so can ask them to produce a policy to suit there members. That probably means different criteria to Aviva so the terms will not be the same.

Mayday is run by Green Flag but is a very different policy.

What’s the main difference between mayday recovery and green flag recovery plus

thanks 

dobbo 

A caravan breakdown could be something a simple as a shredded tyre ripping the caravans wheel arch to bits, making it unsafe to tow. A car specific breakdown policy might not cover your caravan for recovery. One that is caravan specific such as Mayday should recover your caravan allowing you to continue in your car, or recover both?

Mayday has a level of cover that will take you and your caravan to your pre booked site, then take your car somewhere to be repaired, and if not repaired by the end of your holiday will take you and your caravan home again.

As Lead Framer says you get cover for the caravan itself and if the car fails and cannot be repaired they will take you to the site and bring you back if needed. There may be some smaller points as well, but I have not been through the Green Flag option in detail to check this out.