Seat Foam replaced under warranty.

Lord Sward

Have anyone else had their Coachman seat form replaced under warranty?

Mine has just been in for its 3rd year service and 2 issues have been submitted for approval;

1) failed LEDs and water ingress into the awning light

2) collapsed seat foam cushions. 

The awning light has been approved, but the cushion issue has been referred to the soft furnishings company in Derbyshire. They want photos - not sure how best to take a photo as it springs back.  My question is, will the replacement foams be as poor quality as the original or has anyone succeeded in contributing money towards 'betterment' of a different or more dense foam?

Thanks.

We had the same issue with our Unicorn 4 Seville. They were sent back under warranty and the supplier replaced the foam - they later told us as a gesture of good will as there was nothing wrong with them. Well, when you have a two berth you do tend to sit in the same place all the time and that is where they sank!

The second time for speed plus we were visiting the area we delivered them ourselves after our dealer had got a warranty claim accepted by Bailey. They lead us into the factory and took the cushions apart and showed there was nothing wrong - according to them! To cut a long story short we decided to pay extra to have the innards replaced with proper sprung inserts which cost us just over £200 - but the difference is remarkable.

For info there are two seating suppliers in Derbyshire: ours was at Ilkeston, the other is at Long Eaton.

Edited by Woodentop

Had ours replaced on our Phoenix!

Still not right!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

PR1, Your last post concerns me little as we have the identical caravan from the same dealer. But probably not used it as much as you as I know you do use yours a lot.k

What was the problem you had? I don’t have one, or perhaps am just not aware of it yet!,

If you would rather not post details on here perhaps you could PM me? I am more than happy to call you if you pm a phone number. 

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Well I've just been down to the caravan, but was only allowed to stay in the storage compound for 5 minutes, not long enough to really sit on them to show how they don't spring back, but the camera has picked up the dents. Its noticeable now that I've been away from the van for so long that when you sit on them, there is very little cushion - it compresses right down straight away.

13 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

PR1, Your last post concerns me little as we have the identical caravan from the same dealer. But probably not used it as much as you as I know you do use yours a lot.k

What was the problem you had? I don’t have one, or perhaps am just not aware of it yet!,

If you would rather not post details on here perhaps you could PM me? I am more than happy to call you if you pm a phone number. 

Andy

PM sent.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Is it the Ozio type stuff that was lightweight and would permanently deform after a short use. 

My 2018MY van has it and the seats where I sit deforms alot. They dont have Ozio marked on the 2019 MY vans so they may have changed it or just not advertised it. The sprung ones were vastly superior in the older van I had previously.

This is a Coachman, and I know Elddis used to use it as well, but not sure about Bailey.

I have had mine replaced 5 times then gave up and paid to have better foam from Tockfield.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

21 hours ago, PR1 said:

Had ours replaced on our Phoenix!

Still not right!

Ours need replacing in our Phoenix but it has not been done yet.

10 hours ago, Benny65 said:

Is it the Ozio type stuff that was lightweight and would permanently deform after a short use. 

My 2018MY van has it and the seats where I sit deforms alot. They dont have Ozio marked on the 2019 MY vans so they may have changed it or just not advertised it. The sprung ones were vastly superior in the older van I had previously.

This is a Coachman, and I know Elddis used to use it as well, but not sure about Bailey.

Mine was built to order and registered mid-May2017. Not sure what markings/labels are on it; I went to look at it and photograph it yesterday but was told I could only spent 5 minutes with due to this virus. 

I'm now wondering if it's even worth my while in pursuing the warranty claim if the replacement is as bad? 

We also have a 2017 Pastiche and we noticed that the upholstery was failing before the 1st service. A warranty claim was submitted and we subsequently dealt direct with the company, Leisure Furnishings. We had two refills but still weren’t happy, so insisted on a complete new set, which were duly provided. They are better, but not perfect and we may well decide to have the seat bases refilled with proper foam in due course. We offered to pay for an upgrade during the refill process, but were told they had to refill to the original spec. Good luck with your claim - I wouldn’t hold out much hope though 3 years down the line,  as I understand others have been refused after shorter periods. If you scroll through the Coachman topics you’ll probably find a lot over the past couple of years.

Edited by Glen and Les

I really don't hold out much hope at all; the Coachman warranty experience has been pretty poor throughout. The foam failed within the first year but my other half wouldn't let me pursue a warranty claim until now. 

• 6 months later...
On 15/06/2020 at 11:01, IanV8 said:

I have had mine replaced 5 times then gave up and paid to have better foam from Tockfield.

Ian

Hi Ian,

just curious, what would be an average cost? I know every  caravan is different. I have a 2017 Coachman Laser 650 and the front seats are very soft.

18 hours ago, Phil37 said:

Hi Ian,

just curious, what would be an average cost? I know every  caravan is different. I have a 2017 Coachman Laser 650 and the front seats are very soft.

I had the two front bases, 6ft long, done, four cushions total £616.51 for the hardest foam.

Done back in July 18 and money well spent, we have had a lot of use and still firm.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Thanks for that.

We sold our eEddis Odyssey 2004, didn't realise how good the seats were until I compared them with the Coachman seats .

I now know the Elddis seats were the sprung type, no comparison.