I can't remember who else uses the access road up to the site but staggered arrival/leaving times might help as is done with other sites having similar (awful) approach roads, Cheddar being one.

I thought all club sites had changed to 1pm arrivals a couple of years ago when the working time directive (or whatever it’s called) came into operation - allowing the wardens a set time for a meal break 12 til 1.

But I see that earliest arrivals at Cirencester is noon … but it’s easy enough to change it to 1pm.

John

C&CC changed to 1 pm, cmc I think are still 12 noon.

Yes, CMC are still noon unless the site has restricted access.  The Cheddar approach is single lane with no passing places AND a blind corner half way down.  It isn't long but we managed to meet someone going out in a M/H as we were arriving towing a twin axle.

1 hour ago, GaryB1969 said:

I can't remember who else uses the access road up to the site but staggered arrival/leaving times might help as is done with other sites having similar (awful) approach roads, Cheddar being one.

there is a cricket club and tennis courts that are used on a regular basis and they would use the same road.

Just now, joanie said:

there is a cricket club and tennis courts that are used on a regular basis and they would use the same road.

So just maybe the pull-ins are designed to allow the cars using the access road to pull into to allow cars + caravans to pass?? But who is going to tell those accessing the cricket/tennis clubs that s what they are for??

Andy

2 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

So just maybe the pull-ins are designed to allow the cars using the access road to pull into to allow cars + caravans to pass?? But who is going to tell those accessing the cricket/tennis clubs that s what they are for??

Andy

not me , I won't be going until they have a proper access road. I did stop going a few years back because of the pot holes, I did make a few complaints then and I have emailed the CMC now. There are plenty of other sites to go to , it's just a pity as we do like Cirencester. .

2 hours ago, joanie said:

not me , I won't be going until they have a proper access road. I did stop going a few years back because of the pot holes, I did make a few complaints then and I have emailed the CMC now. There are plenty of other sites to go to , it's just a pity as we do like Cirencester. .

I liked Cirencester but think that Burford is better having stayed at both a few years ago.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jiffy176 said:

I liked Cirencester but think that Burford is better having stayed at both a few years ago.

The advantage with Cirencester is you can walk into the town. Some nice restaurants there, Jesse’s Bistro is our favourite.

• Like 2

CMC were due to meet the college this week.  But they've not reported back.

We'll be in the area about a week before we're booked to stay, so will make a detour.  Unless some mitigations have been done, we'll likely cancel.

On the other hand, half the people cancelling will be good for social distancing!

• Like 1

I had a reply from CMC saying that they saw the proposed layout of the road but were not aware of the boulders . The head of estates and operational management team are now working with the college to encourage improvements of the road.

--------------------------

I just hope it doesn't take them too long

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, joanie said:

I had a reply from CMC saying that they saw the proposed layout of the road but were not aware of the boulders .

You have to question how they didn’t compare the length of the passing places with that of a large car & caravan and also the lack of double yellow lines in them to discourage parking in them (possibly not enforceable as it’s private land?). It’s not easy to judge from the YouTube video but the boulders only seem to be part of the problem.

Someone posted a review including a link to the new road on the CMC site reviews  -so it came up for anyone wanting to book.

CMC have removed the review as 'against their Ts&Cs' - because the person hasn't stayed there (or at least since the road was built).

Unless the road is changed PDQ, the wardens are going to be facing a lot of stressed arrivals.

13 hours ago, Will deBeast said:

Someone posted a review including a link to the new road on the CMC site reviews  -so it came up for anyone wanting to book.

CMC have removed the review as 'against their Ts&Cs' - because the person hasn't stayed there (or at least since the road was built).

Unless the road is changed PDQ, the wardens are going to be facing a lot of stressed arrivals.

It is a condition of writing a review on the CMC review section that you have actually stayed there, otherwise it is not a review. There are ample opportunities for raising such issues on the Club forum so it seems an odd route to go down?  There is quite a lengthy thread on that forum with lots of information including photos and videos.

David

10 hours ago, klyne said:

It is a condition of writing a review on the CMC review section that you have actually stayed there, otherwise it is not a review. There are ample opportunities for raising such issues on the Club forum so it seems an odd route to go down?  There is quite a lengthy thread on that forum with lots of information including photos and videos.

David

just read the thread, lots of questions, but no answers. I also had the same email as the one shown. What I did not realise was that the road is a shared road with the pedestrians,  cyclists , dog walkers , wheel chair users etc. , also is the gate midway on the road used every day ?

The gate you refer to could be there is enforce the “owners” rights. It is an anomaly that a person who “owns” a road can allow unrestricted public access but, to maintain “ownership” they need to prevent public access at some point.

I remember well one residential road in a large military camp nearby that had a gate halfway along it. That gate was closed for exactly 24 hours once a year (I think it was Christmas Day, but could be wrong) That ensured that the Army maintained technical ownership of what was, in effect, a public road. The owners of the access road to Cirencester site could well be doing the same. 

Andy

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, klyne said:

David

I only found out about the new road because I spotted this thread.  I don't normally use the club forum, and I doubt more than 1% of members do.

Unless the boulders are removed there are going to be a lot of mishaps and unhappy campers.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

there is a note on the CMC    Cirencester  page that says that there is another meeting today to discuss the road  :blink:  I'm waiting to read the reviews after the 4th July, I hope they put the size of the caravan they are towing. The site is also doing staggered arrivals, ( it seems every site is doing this on CMC ) from  9am.  I'm wondering how this will work on sites  with single track roads and blind bends as they have at Cirencester now

Maybe we can find a use for the old road?

image.thumb.png.8e48ddfd54c39e74ef54c09f6d16511d.png

I see from the CMC forum, that work is starting to make the entry/exit to the laybys longer, to smooth out the bends and to move some boulders.

The old (potholed) road was the final straw for our Bailey axle - cirencester was our last outing (last September) before we sent it off to be refurbished.  Seems a very long time ago now!

21 hours ago, joanie said:

there is a note on the CMC    Cirencester  page that says that there is another meeting today to discuss the road  :blink:  I'm waiting to read the reviews after the 4th July, I hope they put the size of the caravan they are towing. The site is also doing staggered arrivals, ( it seems every site is doing this on CMC ) from  9am.  I'm wondering how this will work on sites  with single track roads and blind bends as they have at Cirencester now

Staggered arrivals are for the 4th July only! Then, as I understand it, it will be back to normal!

• Thanks 1

A post on the CMC's Club Together shows a number of pics of the work being undertaken this week to address the concerns expressed by members.

1 minute ago, yellowbelly said:

A post on the CMC's Club Together shows a number of pics of the work being undertaken this week to address the concerns expressed by members.

A link to it might help?