Posted (edited)

I have just come across a you tube from the Trudgians  showing the new approach road into Cirencester  CMC site. it doesn't look good. I don't know who built the road  but it has big rocks on each side and not a lot of room to manoeuvre around the bends. It's a single road with small passing places.

Edited by joanie

It was like this a few years ago when we went there!

I think the approach road is owned by Bathurst estates,unless it’s new it’s fine,used it loads times but not for a while,if I remember there is a passing place half way,no problem.

3 minutes ago, Pheasant said:

I think the approach road is owned by Bathurst estates,unless it’s new it’s fine,used it loads times but not for a while,if I remember there is a passing place half way,no problem.

Watch the Trudgians video on YT - there's no way you're fitting an outfit in those passing places.

• I agree completely 2

• Like 2

Now that's bad planning!  Fine if you're towing a Basecamp and meet someone towing a trailer tent coming the other way, but not so easy if you're both towing a caravan.  You'd like to think the CMC would be involved/have a say/make recommendations on approach roads, but sometimes it appears not.

• I agree completely 1

18 minutes ago, MalH said:

It was like this a few years ago when we went there!

it looks like a new road  and very narrow.

:Thankyou: Easy T for putting the video up, it would have been easier if I had thought of that  .

A few years ago I made a couple of complaints  re. the pot holes in the road and was told that  the club, the college and Bathurst estate couldn't come to an agreement of who pays for the road to be repaired. 

Next week’s breaking news.

‘Caravan and motorhome Club announce new collaboration with aftermarket caravan panel suppliers......’

I’m pretty confident and not to be sympathetic towatds people who complain they want more roadspace for their outfits, but that really hasn’t been thought through properly. 

Posted (edited)

CMC have responded to The Trudgians Tweet of this video saying they’ve expressed their concerns and there’s a meeting with the college (who altered the access on the estate / CMC land) next week.

Edited by BM Bairn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Two going in and two going out would make an interesting video.

Due to the dog legs at both ends there is no reasonable line of sight until entering the straight bit and you could easily be second in line when the van in front of you meets the first of two or more coming the opposite way, then the arguments start.

• Like 2

Bunree CMC site has a traffic light system that works very well on the narrow long approach to the site.

Perhaps this may be a way to certainly overcome the congestion.

• Like 3
  • I agree completely 2

Hmm.  We're due to go there next month.  Time to look for somewhere else.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Have to make sure we don’t arrive early or leave late, and it should not be too bad.

Whew,! body shop repairs will be busy soon.

On 12/06/2020 at 15:17, Pheasant said:

I thought that as well but it turns out that it belongs to Cirencester College, who, rather than resurface the original approach road (surely the cheapest option?) decided to reroute the road which is not only narrower but is lined with large rocks that could be an issue for anyone with a long outfit.

David

Posted (edited)

I agree the access looks a problem but assuming everybody leaves before noon and arrivals come after that there should not be a problem. If two very large outfits do meet though it would be a serious problem if more people then backed up behind.

I do doubt many people have the ability to reverse an out fit any real distance down that road.

Edited by Wildwood

It's a shame as we use that site but no way would I take a van on that road, it's too much of a gamble  even if  no one else was on the road, We shall be keeping an eye on things to see if the CMC are able to get anything done about it  .

Looks like the road was “designed” by someone with a lot of qualifications and zero experience, or appreciation of towing a caravan. 

Thanks for the heads up, I will certainly not be going there until that debacle is sorted out. 

Andy

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Looks like the road was “designed” by someone with a lot of qualifications and zero experience, or appreciation of towing a caravan. 

Nearly Andy - I’d say it was zero qualifications too. I’ve seen farm tracks with more thought put into them !

Presumably this took a while to do - so why didn’t the wardens report back to HQ what was happening, and that it needed putting on hold while they had a re-think?

I also won’t be going until it’s sorted.

John

I think the road looks navigable but only with extreme care. As others have said if there is two way movement there could be a real problem. Its difficult to understand that anyone with so little appreciation of the requirement could be permitted to design it (or is there a problem lurking with someone not liking caravans? Nagh, that's just me being synical.:)

5 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Thanks for the heads up, I will certainly not be going there until that debacle is sorted out. 

Andy

I think if you read the planning application its not the case of zero experience but more a case of zero tolerance. Reading between the lines it seems that Cirencester College does not like 4X4's  (probably a catch all for all vehicles that don't look like a saloon car!) which of course in general terms is what a lot of caravanners use as a tow car. Apparently the Club is in discussions with the College but at best all that can be achieved now is that the boulders are pushed further back or removed.  It will be interesting to see the site reviews when the site reopens.  We have booked for early August, if we go I will report back!

David

• Thanks 1

Dont see the need for the boulders and embankments

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Benny65 said:

Dont see the need for the boulders and embankments

Really?? :unsure:

It’s to prevent people driving OFF the tarmac surface in order to pass each other  thus turning the verges into seas of mud (and then dragging the mud back onto the road) 

It WOULD of course have been vastly better if the road had been made wide enough for two vehicles to pass, but that would nearly double the cost of building it. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

I suspect the boulders could be to prevent parking at the side of the road, from memory (we last went in 2010!) there is a football club that also use the access road so maybe there were issues with car parking on the road.  Besides all that the inclusion of passing spaces is thoughtful, the lack of length in them comical.  Maybe it was designed by someone who designs (some) caravan parking areas on UK motorway services?

• I agree completely 1

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Really?? :unsure:

It’s to prevent people driving OFF the tarmac surface in order to pass each other  thus turning the verges into seas of mud (and then dragging the mud back onto the road) 

It WOULD of course have been vastly better if the road had been made wide enough for two vehicles to pass, but that would nearly double the cost of building it. 

Andy

Valid point