Sign in to follow this  
3rrf

Problem - caravan indicator stays on.

I am new here an am wondering if anyone could give me any ideas on why my left indicator on the Swift Merlin caravan stays on an doesn’t flash when connected to the car, thought would ask as it may be a simple fix.

Many thanks an thank for letting me join only been caravanning 12 months 

Welcome to the forum i am certain someone will be along very shortly to help you out, lots of very friendly and knowledgeable people here 

:welcome: to Caravan Talk.

The first advice in reply to your sort of query is to check that all the electrical connections on the van are sound. Pay particular note to the 13-pin or 7-pin connectors and to the earthing points at the light clusters.

John

It is almost certainly a simple electrical fault which is easy enough to fix for someone with the requisite skills, but it needs to be "hands on".

Most likely a simple short in the 13 pin plug.

Posted (edited)

And

1. Is this the first time you have hitched up or was it all OK yesterday?

2. Are the indicators on the car working as normal?

3. See John's post.

4. See Stevan's post.

Edited by Ukzero

Does the van indicator come on as soon as you connect up to the car? 

Or only when you operate the cars indicator stalk? Do the cars indicators stay on or just flash normally? 

15 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

:welcome: to Caravan Talk.

The first advice in reply to your sort of query is to check that all the electrical connections on the van are sound. Pay particular note to the 13-pin or 7-pin connectors and to the earthing points at the light clusters.

John

many thanks John, l have a 7 pin adaptor on my towing car an the caravan has a 13 pin plug l have been given a adaptor but not sure it works properly am due to get a new one tomorrow so will try that an also check all the pins with a voltmeter thank you 

15 hours ago, WispMan said:

Does the van indicator come on as soon as you connect up to the car? 

Or only when you operate the cars indicator stalk? Do the cars indicators stay on or just flash normally? 

the indicators came on when l put the hazards on an the lights were applied also , am getting a adaptor tomorrow so will wait an see thanks 

15 hours ago, Ukzero said:

And

1. Is this the first time you have hitched up or was it all OK yesterday?

2. Are the indicators on the car working as normal?

3. See John's post.

4. See Stevan's post.

yes it was the first time had hitched up to this van but all was working fine the last time l hitched up to my other van am going to check all the pins tomorrow with a voltmeter thanks 

Does the indicator stay on all the time, or only when car lights are on ?  
if it only happens when car lights are on, it suggests a bad earth connection related to that light cluster

Caravans do not have an earth like cars, instead each lamp has  a positive wire and a negative wire supplied by the 7 pin plug/socket on the car. As a result, a bad earth on a bulb can not gain one by a different bulb as you could on a car. If you have the caravan hand book there ought to be a wiring diagram in it which will show this.

Does the indicator light up if you do not switch on the side lights, if not then maybe it is taking a supply from the side light wires and if so could be a wiring fault in the caravan 7 pin plug. One thing you could try is to swap the car end of the wiring on the tow bar side of the by-pass relay so the right indicator supplies the left one at the tow bar and see if this makes a difference - this will check the by-pass relay.

22 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

Caravans do not have an earth like cars, instead each lamp has  a positive wire and a negative wire supplied by the 7 pin plug/socket on the car. As a result, a bad earth on a bulb can not gain one by a different bulb as you could on a car. If you have the caravan hand book there ought to be a wiring diagram in it which will show this.

A tail lamp cluster will normally have a single earth lead and this will often run across to the other rear cluster with just one lead back to the front. In fact, the high level marker lights and high level brake light will often also share this single return.

Strictly speaking it is a "return" not an "earth", it does not become an "earth" until it connects  back to the car chassis.