First time buyer Park Dean Lizard Point

looking to buy static home in park dean lizard point

first time into this any tips and help would be gratefully accepted

ie site fees bills etc how long in one period you can stay there

any kind of tips

cheers geordie

Ask all these questions when you are talking to the "salesperson" and think very carefully before you sign anything. Oh and :welcome:

Welcome to the forum.

Read as many of the previous threads on this forum as you can, as there have already been many questions asked and answered about statics in general.

Bear in mind that a static is an ongoing commitment, and you need to be sure that you are buying for the lifestyle rather than any expectations of making money.

The priorities are, in order, the location, the park, the pitch on the park, and the van. A van that is not quite suitable on the right place will give you happy holidays. A perfect van in the wrong place will never be OK.

Pitch fees will almost certainly increase each year, so not only do you need to know the current fee, but when it will increase, and how the increase is calculated. You also need to know what is included in your pitch fee - and what is not included. You need to know how many years your van can stay on the park before you have to upgrade or remove it, and if you sell it privately whether you can sell it as sited on the park or whether the buyer will have to remove it, and if selling sited,  what the commission to the park is (usually 15% of the sale price).

Do not just Talk to the sales person - you need to Talk to other owners on the site to get a good idea of what the park is like and how well it is run.

You need to see the site rules and a copy of the contract BEFORE you commit yourself, and anything that is important to you, get it in writing; I am continually surprised by the number of people who are so unhappy about owning a static van simply because they never bothered to study what they were signing up to.

Thousands of happy static owners out there - make sure you know what you are buying and you can be one of them.

Buying into a park home/static caravan can be a minefield.

The Ts & Cs should tell you all you need to know so make sure you have a current version before you sign.

Even then there may  contain ambiguities so it may be worthwhile to seek legal advice.

If all is well - enjoy - lots of people do.

Edited by CJ1149

Make sure that the van is well insulated, central heated, double glazed galvanised chassis and no damp patches or musty smell.

John.

:welcome:

Some very important aspects to consider are, what is the life of a static on the site,  some sites insist on only having vans on up to x years old, then they have to be changed, is purchase only through the site owner, it usually is at a premium and what would be the expected  price given after x years if you decided to pack it in.

These three aspects can produce some eye watering surprises and something to be aware of................... but many thousands enjoy the static life with no problems at all, do all the sums and research and you will be one of the happy crowd.

cheers i have been trying to find as much out as possible

internet youtube etc i no it can be a minefield of questions and answers

but im like everybody else don't want to loose money

i have got a meeting with a rep in august so hope to find out a lot more

and hopefully Talk to some owners i want to stay there a lot of the time 

but hopefully rent it out not to make a massive profit but just to help with costs

i like people just to tell me the straight truth any any help

cheers geordie

Statics are expensive but if used a lot are a good way of getting many holidays in an area you like in your own accommodation. You should be able to use one for the full duration the site is open each year but not during the closed season which can be a few weeks or months depending on the site.

Annual costs include

- site fees and council tax, could be of the order £3000 to £6000 a year.

- gas and electric, a few hundred a year depending on use. Water should be part of the fees.

- insurance about £300. Make sure it is not in a flood area or you might not get full cover. If the site wants you to get insurance through them they may want an admin fee if you go elsewhere - somebody posted about this not long ago. If renting out then you might need business insurance.

- writing off the static cost. The site may want replacement every 15 years (or less) so approximately take the initial new cost and divide by 15 to give annual loss. 

- gas safety check about £60. If renting out then also an electric safety check.

- any maintenance.

Renting out may not be allowed and will depend on the site. If they do you might have to do it through the site so they take some of the rent. Somebody asked about renting out wanting to earn money to pay the static costs but it did not look that viable. Also need to consider, renting out is likely to work in the high season school holidays so you would not be able to use it then. Plus would you want to live in it after others have. It  would need cleaning between renters so you might have to go there and maybe disinfecting if the coronavirus is around.

16 minutes ago, geordie norman said:

cheers i have been trying to find as much out as possible

internet youtube etc i no it can be a minefield of questions and answers

but im like everybody else don't want to loose money

i have got a meeting with a rep in august so hope to find out a lot more

and hopefully Talk to some owners i want to stay there a lot of the time 

but hopefully rent it out not to make a massive profit but just to help with costs

i like people just to tell me the straight truth any any help

cheers geordie

If you do not want to lose money then a static is not for you. They take money off you and the way to get your moneys worth is to use it for many weeks each year for your holidays. You need to allow for around £5000 to £10000 a year loss including writing off the static, site fees and other costs.

Edited by Paul1957