France and Spain availability of pitches with hook ups

Hi

Is it easy enough to get hook up points in the South Spain in the winter? without booking? 

And is it difficult touring France in the Summer?

thanks 

Hook up points are a pretty standard feature on all camp sites all over Europe. Winter pitches in Spain are usually available without booking. France gets very busy in August when almost the whole country has a holiday, so pitch availability can be a problem. In general, the better sites get booked up first all over Europe.

Edited by Ern
  • Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

Ern

15 minutes ago, Ern said:

Hook up points are a pretty standard feature on all camp sites all over Europe. Winter pitches in Spain are usually available without booking. France gets very busy in August when almost the whole country has a holiday, so pitch availability can be a problem. In general, the better sites get booked up first all over Europe.

15 minutes ago, Ern said:

thank you 

1 hour ago, mac marge said:

Is it easy enough to get hook up points in the South Spain in the winter? without booking?

Most sites in southern Spain have hook up points close by and charge for electricity per night (usually somewhere between 3 and 5 Euros).   Lot's of sites do special deals if you undertake to stay for 15 or 30 days in one booking.   The site where I spend the winter months has a daily rate for a pitch for 2 in a tourer with electric of €19.75, however, stay for a month and that becomes €325 or €10.80 per day.   For the second month it reduces even more.    On a few sites you may find that your electricity supply is metered so what you pay will depend on what you use.  

Some winter areas are more popular than others so depending upon the number of sites in the area, will depend on whether booking is required.   The site where I stay don't even accept booking for pitches.    

Some forum members have travelled to Spain for over-wintering for several years and some write blogs about their experiences.   Mine can be found here.

It's worth joining ACSI (https://www.campingcard.co.uk/)   

With the membership you'll receive a directory listing all the member sites.   Not only does it give a list of all the sites in an area, but all the relevant details together with a discount during the low season.

Edited by Jaydug
  • Thanks 1

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Depends what part of Spain, the further South in Winter the more campers there are, the site I use is further North you have to book all year round as it has only 183 pitches, many sites in the area have in excess of 750 pitches

• Thanks 1

Les

France is busy mid July until late August.  If you want to go camping in popular areas during that period it's advisable to book.  As serving teachers we had to book our summer holiday pitches ahead of time, however, we still enjoyed our holidays very much.  After retirement, we started taking our annual pilgrimage to France mid June to mid July - less busy, less need to book ahead and less costly - win win!   :D  Enjoy ! ! !

John.

• Thanks 1

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

3 hours ago, mac marge said:

We toured France for many summers in our children's school holidays - always without bookings because we rarely had a fixed destination in mind.  

Until mobile phones came along we certainly did find some sites full - but once we had a mobile we simply started to  phone in an evening to ask about a pitch for the next day - and if one site said no we phoned another. 

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

5 hours ago, mac marge said:

Hi

thanks 

Don't overlook the fact that Calor gas is not available in France or Spain. We spent our summers n France and our winters in Spain. We acquired a French butane bottle (available at most large supermarkets) with the appropriate adaptor (Not regulator. Don't make my mistake, if you have a bulkhead regulator, of using a regulator on the bottle), such as THIS. The site we stayed at in Spain has Spanish bottles available for which you will need one of THESE. It will be less complicated if you acquire the adaptors before you go.

One thing to beware of - many Spanish sites limit you to a 3A supply, so you can't even use an electric kettle! 6A is the exception rather than the rule in my experience.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

9 hours ago, Woodentop said:

One thing to beware of - many Spanish sites limit you to a 3A supply, so you can't even use an electric kettle! 6A is the exception rather than the rule in my experience.

We spend a lot of time in Spain and I can’t ever recall 3A.  6A sometimes, 10A often. 

• I agree completely 2

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

We have never come across 3 amp, 6 amp is the standard on a lot of sites but normally you can pay extra for 10 amp, care must be taken in case you blow the fuse late at night and there will be no one around to put it right as most hook-up boxes are locked. We  have a list of electrical equipment with their current so that the good lady knows what to and not to use,  me sometimes !! 

Les

Lowest we have seen is 4 amps in Italy.

On our first van trip abroad in 1991 I was chatting to a neighbour, after we had issues with the supply and had to wait for site staff to  deal with it, who said he never had a problem with low current as he carried a selection of fuses, he was an electrician, and would just open the box and change it if he had any issues!

In the 20 odd years I've been going to France, July  August  I've never booked a pitch, stay how long I want then move on,  if I want a particular site I phone the night before. 

Jaybug,  I'm enjoying reading your blog very interesting.

Edited by Silversurfer
  • Thanks 1