Just purchased a 2011 Swits Conqueror 480. 

In the overhead locker where the fuse panel is, I have found a pair of wire's, one black and one red, both with spade conectors.

I have tested and they appear to be dead. 

Anyone any ideas what they could be for.

TIA

Some are pre-wired for a solar panel even though they might not have one fitted. 

If it was 2011 it is unlikely to be a solar panel - if you could get them then they cost and arm and a leg.

I would guess wiring for an extractor fan to be fitted in the skylight near the cooker if it isn't too far away.

• I agree completely 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Woodentop said:

If it was 2011 it is unlikely to be a solar panel - if you could get them then they cost and arm and a leg.

I would guess wiring for an extractor fan to be fitted in the skylight near the cooker if it isn't too far away.

Our 2008 Sterling Eccles Topaz has a factory installed solar panel plug already wired in, so manufcturers were already doing it at least 3 years prior to the build of the OPs van.

Edited by DottieD

Posted (edited)

As did our 2010 and 2012 Swift group caravans hence the suggestion. Even those without solar panels fitted often had the same loom as those with. However it could well be something else.

Edited by GaryB1969

Thanks for the reply's.

At first I was of the same mind regarding the solar panel theory however, on further investigationI have found another set, which are the same, theses are above the consumer/fuse panel. Im not certain that looking at the wires that they would be thick enough to take the load of a solar panel.

See photo's.

20200607_102015.jpg

20200607_102133.jpg

20200607_102455.jpg

20200607_102543.jpg

If you have a multimeter see if they are common. A lot of wiring looms are pre-wired for factory fitted extras. My money is still on the solar panel but it could be all sorts as it certainly looks “factory” rather than a DIY addition. Our current caravan doesn’t have a solar panel but will be pre-wired, I’ll have a look later to see if I can see the wires.

10 minutes ago, D4Delboy 2 said:

Thanks for the reply's.

At first I was of the same mind regarding the solar panel theory however, on further investigationI have found another set, which are the same, theses are above the consumer/fuse panel. Im not certain that looking at the wires that they would be thick enough to take the load of a solar panel.

See photo's.

Those wires are plenty thick enough for the size of solar panel that would have been a manufacturer or dealer optional extra back then.

Th fact that they are male, rather than female connectors suggests that they maybe for a power source rather than a power drain.

You may find that the two sets are the two ends of the same wires, one end for the panel, the other to connect it into the rest of the 12v system.

On the van’s I’ve had the solar panel connection has always been one of these, usually lying around in the battery/PSU area …

53C9F5C7-126E-43E6-8418-DF149E015412.thumb.jpeg.648dc1d50ede23462af087751ef1cb31.jpeg

John

Posted (edited)

2018 solar panel connector above the microwave. While not the same connectors it shows the small gauge wire used. The only way you’ll be able to find out what they’re for is to trace them back.

02E3C579-01DE-4F4C-AFBB-B59856647995.jpeg

Edited by GaryB1969

Normally the male Lucars as shown are attached to the load side rather than the live. So I wouldn't expect to see any voltage on them.

But can't help as to the specifics I'm afraid.

• I agree completely 1

Thanks again for  all the advice, I will do a bit more digging.

4 hours ago, Stevan said:

Those wires are plenty thick enough for the size of solar panel that would have been a manufacturer or dealer optional extra back then.

Th fact that they are male, rather than female connectors suggests that they maybe for a power source rather than a power drain.

You may find that the two sets are the two ends of the same wires, one end for the panel, the other to connect it into the rest of the 12v system.

Just had meter on both ends of the wire and they are not the same wire. It would appear that they are for two differnt feeds?

Does your caravan have fluorescent strip lights above the cupboards.  If I remember correctly it should have, however previous owner may have had problems with them and removed them.  I believe that they were switched from the control panel.  Please check to see if there is a switch and if the wires become live if switched on, make sure wires are separated first.