Hi everyone. Just bought my first caravan today and need to get the following asap

wheel locks

hitch locks

leg winder (urgent)

leisure battery

ive looked in Halfords and they hardly have anything for caravans. There is a local firm to me in Buxton but don’t have all I need.  Can anyone tell me where I can get this stuff today within say 50 miles of Buxton. 

I’ve Googled but it’s all online sales 

How far is it to Glossop? Glossop caravans have a decent accessory shop if it’s open.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

At the moment many sales will be online only. Hopefully though in the not too distant future more retail outlets (including caravan dealerships) will be open again.

In the meantime, why not tell us a bit about what you've purchased?

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

16 hours ago, LisaFromBuxton said:

Hi everyone. Just bought my first caravan today and need to get the following asap

wheel locks

hitch locks

leg winder (urgent)

leisure battery

ive looked in Halfords and they hardly have anything for caravans. There is a local firm to me in Buxton but don’t have all I need.  Can anyone tell me where I can get this stuff today within say 50 miles of Buxton .

I’ve Googled but it’s all online sales 

Hi , Welcome to the forum , not sure why the urgency to obtain these items, unfortunately at present we cannot  go anywhere , online would give you the greatest of choice and price , the other option would be gumtree which given the current situation Iam sure many caravaners will be selling the items you require these will  be used but will do the job same as new but at half the price , and  possibly  within your local area which means you can view and pay on collection , the leisure battery if possible can be purchased online and delivery within 2 days  Try Tanya Batteries  very good service and price .

Good Luck .

Hi thanks. I’ve not bought it to holiday in just yet, two of our adult children have moved in due to job and home loss. We only have a tiny house so it’s for extra space. Also me and the hubby have had to work from home and we need a bit of quiet as the kids are off school. Really struggling to work! 

we need the leg winders more than anything else as we need to stabilise it on the driveway. It has a motor mover but not remote so for tonight I have to park it outside my house and I can’t i sure it without the wheel locks and hitch locks apparently. So I’m just trying to find them today 

we have bought a cheap 1999 Europa five berth, it’s tidy inside and out but nothing special but if we like this and actually use it for hols with our two young ones we will upgrade eventually 

For a leg winder, do you have, or can you borrow from a neighbour, a socket set? It’ll do the same job. Depending on how accessible the steady leg head is you might even be able to use a spanner.  As you’re new, the legs only go down enough to stabilise the caravan, don’t force them. 

If you can’t get proper security in a hurry, a length of heavyish chain and a decent padlock should enable you to lock it up securely enough to deter opportunists. 

If you really can’t find anything to secure it,  why not sleep in it tonight? 

I would sleep in it until you get your security sorted!

Wecome as well!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

We had an email saying Glossop caravans are open now but by the time you could get there today I would think their accessories shop will be closed, 5 pm today and Sunday. Halfords can be expensive for caravan parts if they had any. https://www.glossopcaravans.co.uk/

For a hitch lock you will need to know what type of hitch the caravan has since they vary - a photo on your phone might help to take with you if you do not know the type.

You can get the leisure battery from Halfords or many tyre dealers as the urgent requirement. Halfords wheel clamps are fairly basic, but the Bulldog high security would probably be enough. I do not wish to sound rude but thieves will normally be looking for something far newer. I would get a cheaper one on now rather than wait for others to open.

As Lazydave says a socket set should sort the leg winders provided, it has the extension section.

Personally, I would not bother with a hitch lock unless the insurance requires it. Thieves can bypass them with strong rope or chains, or even a fabricated A frame and steal the caravan with the idea of tackling the hitch lock when they reach their destination.

Posted (edited)

A leg winder really should have come with the caravan.

Phone up some caravan retailers as they may be open.  Glossops are, Leisure Sales in Cheshire, etc.  Don't know whether shops are open, but should be, as you don't exactly get queues.  Also go online, you can get stuff from there

Is Towsure open in Sheffield?  You can get virtually everything from there [Towsure are now open].  Good prices as well

Edited by Babstreefern

For a leg winder temp measure, try your, or neighbours,  car wheel brace.

Most van legs need a 19mm socket the same as many cars.

As Ian said a neighbour may have a socket set with a 19mm socket and extension which will be the easiest, next option will be a 19mm combi spanner, a bit long winded but is doable, final one is to wind them down using a pair of mole grips, or similar, on the spindle but not on the threads.

Hopefully the previous owner will have kept the threads greased to make it easier to turn, something many forget till too late, its' worth giving them a daub of grease a couple of times a year whilst taking them through the full travel.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

google maps,  click nearby, enter caravan accessories, phone.

try Amazon and ebay

check our neighbours  for caravans in the drive

Posted (edited)

Your car probably has a wheel brace and it may be the same size 19mm. An adjustable spanner will do it. or an old fashioned spark plug spanner.  By the way, Welcome to the forum. 

Edited by Ern

Ern

One little bit of advice.  You say its your first caravan, so don't know whether its your first time of camping or caravanning.  Anyway, whatever caravan site you are going to, youtube it and someone will have videoed arrival, so this will give you an idea of the lead up to the site and where you need to go when approaching reception, etc

• I do not understand 1

If you a car spares / tool dealer nearby, you should be able to buy a 1/2''  drive speed brace with 1/2" drive 19mm socket.  That will make a good leg winder.

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

I'd try ordering online from Towsure. I ordered some trailer parts recently and they arrived in under 48 hours. As already mentioned, a 19mm wheel brace or socket would get the steadies wound down.