Alko Premium Hitch lock (The Black One) - Any Good?

Message added by CT Advertising

Purple Line LogoOur Fullstop® Security Range provides ease of use and maximum protection against cutting, drilling, gas-freezing and corrosion. With exceptional customer service and aftersales care. Shop online today.

Posted (edited)

Does anyone own/have any experience of the Alko premium hitch lock (the black lock)?

https://ukshop.alko-tech.com/uk/security-device-aks-2004-3004.html

Thinking of upgrading ours from the 'regular' red Alko hitch lock

Thoughts?

TIA

al-ko-aks-2004-3004-premium-security-device35917_xlge.jpg

Edited by Bristle Hound

Tow car -  2019 MY20 G01 BMW X3 xDrive 20d M Sport 

Caravan -  2017 Compass Camino 660                               

85% On The 'Ratio'

It might take a minute or two longer to get off - but it does appear that it would be easier to attack both on the top and sides with an angle grinder. Just chop off the sides and its off

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

I suspect that anyone willing and capable of stealing a van with the standard Alko lock will not be deterred by the few extra minutes to deal with one of these. Particularly when, with the right piece of kit, they can steal it first and remove the lock elsewhere!

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

Unless you use the hitchlock  to secure the van to a post, none of them will stop a thief, all  they need is a bit of rope. They are handy to stop opportunists if you’re leaving the van hitched to the car somewhere though. 

Save your money. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks people - thought as much

The advent of cordless angle grinders for just over £60 doesn't help all our security measures

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/21V-115mm-Cordless-Angle-Grinder-Sander-w-30-0A-Battery-2-Grinding-Disc-Spanner/313025701340?hash=item48e1c925dc:g:y3AAAOSwqkxeae~j

Just got to make it a s difficult as possible for the ********

Oh & having new for old insurance eases my mind, a little lol

Paranoid? Me? :lol:

• Like 1

85% On The 'Ratio'

I looked at the black one and could not see any great advantages over the red version, so have carried on with the red one.

• I agree completely 2

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

Frankly I cannot see it being worth the money. Hitchlocks have very little security value as thieves will come equipped with chains, or even a prefabricated A frame to bypass it.  If your insurance requires one fit one, but to me the only real use is where it will lock the caravan to the car and they can be used when you stop for a rest.

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 2

There is NOTHING that will thwart a determined thief, all you can do is deter or delay them, or make the caravan next to it look less time consuming to steal. 

Andy

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

I have one and it's a real solid brute.

With an angle grinder you would have to cut through both sides to get it off, and that would take more than a couple of minutes. The longer it takes, the more chance of getting caught.

The only problem is that the Alko hitch cover won't fit over it.

• Thanks 1

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

On 06/06/2020 at 17:29, Mr Plodd said:

There is NOTHING that will thwart a determined thief, all you can do is deter or delay them, or make the caravan next to it look less time consuming to steal. 

Andy

My thoughts exactly, with years of experience to prove it!

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

We have one, it came with the van.  It's quite a bit heavier, but I wouldn't say it's anymore secure

But considerably better than no hitch lock! With the added advantage that, even with the right tools, it’s a time consuming and noisy operation to remove it. 

Andy

• I agree completely 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

I  bought one to replace the red one and yes it is a much heavier and more robust beast than the original.

Yes doubtless a determined thief would be able to remove it but I don't regret buying it if only for the reason that if it is a little harder to remove than the red one the thief may move on.

No regrets here.

Ian

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Paranoia got the better of me & I bought 'the black one' lol

First impressions -

The black one is one heavy mutha. The fit is a lot better than the red one which I always thought was just not quite a tight enough fit.

Yes yes I know it can be cut off just like any other hitch lock but this one will take some time IMHO

Those extra few minutes may be just enough, who knows

Like Ian, no regrets

A little research on the Alko website is showing the red one weighing in at 1.5kg versus the black one which weighs 4.9kg!

Before and after pic's lol

alko.3.jpg

alko.4.jpg

85% On The 'Ratio'

2 minutes ago, AndersG said:

Can you use the premium lock while towing?

Yes

• I agree completely 1

I in my mid 30's and caravan with my caravaning cat all year.  Honda CRV '65' Plate 1.6 Diesel towing Swift Corniche 15/2E 1995  Hyundai Santa Fe towing Adria Dart (with weight upgrade to 1800 kg)