Sign in to follow this  
Adem

Do gel batteries produce harmful gases?

Hi. I'm going install my 60 ah gel battery inside my caravan in the living area. Do they release poisonous gases while charging or using?

Posted (edited)

All batteries can produce harmful gas if they go wrong.  Our battery is in the habitation area because I moved it from the outside battery box to the other side of the caravan in the habitaion area, along with the motor mover control box and battery isolator. Be careful with cable sizes and security of battery. The cables must be correctly rated and protected. 

Edited by Ern

Posted (edited)

The important thing with Gel batteries is to make sure that the charging voltages are correct as overcharging will damage them so ensure that the charger is properly set up to suit the battery - check the battery manufacturer's charging instructions  and use an accurate voltmeter to check that the charger is correctly set.

Most gel batteries generally use recombination technology which recombines the gases produced and turn them back into electrolyte so they are slightly pressurised, however if you overcharge they will vent and lose electrolyte

have a shufti here - https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-nz/varta-battery-support/battery-basics/agm-batteries-vs-gel-batteries

Edited by matelodave

Posted (edited)

Unlike flooded batteries, AGM and Gel do not vent under normal use.  All LA based batteries produce hydrogen in the normal charging process.  Flooded batteries release this, whilst AGM/Gel "recomineit as Matelodave says.  Hydrogen is lighter than air and when mixed with air is extremely explosive...

If AGM/Gel are abused by wrong charging.  When I got my boat it had 3 Odyssey AGM batteries on the domestic side.  The previous owner had the boat in a marina, and had installed a Zig caravan unit which was a "simple" charger.  The boat was left plugged in permanently, and the wrong charging caused one of the batteries to "blow" - the case bulged, but no leakage... 

If gases get leaked by abuse you get Sulphuric acid vapour, Hydrogen sulphide (rotten eggs) and Sulphur dioxide depending on the level of abuse right up to the point where the battery will explode.  I lived in a house once where there was a repair in the ceiling and in the floor where a battery had exploded when being charged...

Edited by Guzzilazz
Clarification

Posted (edited)

I've seen lots of Valve Regulated and Gel batteries that have been damage by incorrect charging (we as a company use to supply and install hundreds of them for telecommunications projects all over the world), so be aware.

In fact we gave up using Gel batteries as they weren't anywhere near as forgiving as other sorts.

Edited by matelodave
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Ern said:

All batteries can produce harmful gas if they go wrong.  Our battery is in the habitation area because I moved it from the outside battery box to the other side of the caravan in the habitaion area, along with the motor mover control box and battery isolator. Be careful with cable sizes and security of battery. The cables must be correctly rated and protected. 

I should have said that this battery is an AGM. Tanya Batteries are pretty good and I took their advice.