Sign in to follow this  
PMW

Site recommendation needed, Torbay area.

We are planning to send Christmas and New Year in or near Paignton this year, but we are struggling to find a site. 

Obviously we need a site which is open all year, or at least into January and have found many sites in this area close in September. Given the time of year we want a hard stand with facility for the full awning, ideally fully serviced. It must be a site which takes families, adult only sites are out. We are not bothered about on site facilities other than toilets and showers and it needs to accept twin axle vans, we are a touch shy of 8m total length. 

Any suggestions welcome. 

Posted (edited)

Ross Park, Ipplepen is open until 2 Jan - excellent facilities - swallowed my TA with ease!  Access to site is 50x from main road - really easy by Devon standards.

Edited by SamD
  • Thanks 1

Great site. Ross Park. Due to go back in September 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I've looked at Ross Park as it is closer to where we want to be than many, but they don't have details available for Christmas yet. I've emailed them but they are not releasing their "festive season packages" until the end of July, or possibly slightly later due to current events. It looks like it would be ideal and i can see us visiting in the future but I'm loathed to wait that long in case we miss out on other sites. 

Edited by PMW

We did look at staying at Beverley Park in Goodrington a couple of years ago after a NY rally nearby stopped running.

Have stayed at the Park quite a few times and enjoyed it, good location decent size pitches, but from recollection there was nothing open other than toilet blocks.

• Thanks 1

Hi we've been to Ross Park a couple of times over Christmas & New Year, great time had but adult only at that time of year.

Keep Safe

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reviews on Ross Park, whilst it might not solve our problem for Christmas and New Year I think it's very likely we'll be visiting when we next get to go down for either the May or October half term. The pitch prices seem quite reasonable too, especially for that part of the world. 

Beverley Park in Goodrington would be ideal if a touch expensive, as my sister lives in Goodrington! but they don't have availability for the dates we need. They can do one day earlier but that is no good to us as we have something we want to do on that last day. I find it hard to believe that they are available all over Christmas and New Year but are full the night of 1 January. They also quote a pitch size of 7.5m x 7.5m and we are 8m long. When calling them to ask if they could accommodate us the operator just said no. 

We are currently looking at Dartmoor Halfway Inn, which is a bit further from where we want to be than is ideal, but looks a nice little site and is again quite close to the A38 so no miles of dragging Luny Lu II along Devon Lanes. It's a shame we can't find something similar a bit closer to Paignton. 

At that time of year I would rent a cottage with a wood burnerand a good supply of logs. We did that several times in the Lake District and I'm sure you will find similar snug and cosy houses if you are willing to move a little way inland from Torbay. .  Caravans are not the only way !

Another for Ross Park, hoping to go sometime this year, they say Christmas is great there