Sign in to follow this  
Les Medes

Scratch Removal Cloth

Has anyone had experience of these cloths, I would appreciate any comments, good or bad, I have a scuff on the wing mirror when some so and so tried to get through a gap and hit my mirror. If they work, it may be the cheapest option for a repair at about £15.

No cloth can ever actually repair a scratch. Damage to any lacquer coat, or the surface of a pigment coat can, to some extent, be hidden by giving it a wet look (try giving a light scratch a wipe with a freshly licked finger), and a cloth impregnated with waxes or silicones can have a similar effect, but it is unlikely to be very long lasting.

Of course, if the scratch has gone right through to the undercoat or primer it needs much more.

I have, in the past, used coloured waxes to good, albeit short term, effect.

If a scratch that has gone in to the lacquer/paint/primer, then for £15 you could get touch up paints that come with a small brush and some very fine emery paper and polish. 

Beware.

Often the repair can look worse than the scratch, which, when all is said and done, only a scratch!

As soon as you've done it, there'll be another one somewhere else.......

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

I heard that toothpaste is a fine abrasive, though  I've never tried it

It is but proceed with caution. Gentle at first. I prefer t cut or meguiars as it is for paint!

Technically you cant remove a scratch, when all said and done, material has been removed from the paint surface, hopefully just at the lacquer layer, but as it  progresses down through the base, undercoat, there may be more than one, and down to the metal the problem becomes more involved and expensive.

Taking just scratches in the lacquer, there are basically three methods of making it is invisible, first is to use a good quality polish  which fills the scratches , but will have to be repeated, second is to use an abrasive, Tcut, Farecla, etc with many different grades of coarseness to pick from, with these you are actually removing material from the surface to ' feather edge ' the scratch to the surrounding surface, hopefully not  removing too much to expose the base coat, done correctly, this shouldn't require any further work, a note of caution though, ensure they don't contain silicone, some do it can attach to the surface and give a slightly misty appearance more so on dark paints, other than the usual coat of polish when you give the car a wash and wax, final one, which is permanent is to feather edge the scratch then spot repair with a coat of lacquer, buffing to a final finish.