Silversurf

Interesting query regarding transmitting infection.

Raised by one of my older grandchildren in asking " Is there any chance of someone with Covid spreading the virus in the clouds of smoke from  their vaping ?"

Her thinking behind it is, that most smokers appear to inhale the smoke deeply into their lungs where there can be greater concentrations of virus, with possibly the ability of the virus attaching to the exhaled particles, as with coughing, sneezing, shouting and as she states the quantity  of smoke produced by  vapers far exceeds that for conventional cigarette smokers.

So she's off at the moment researching the weight of a single Covid virus and the weight of single vaping particles to see if this could be possible.

I envisage many more questions as she progresses.

She's a pain in the proverbial 13 year old sometimes.............................. but she does have these moments.😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Brilliant.

That’s the sort of lateral thinking this country needs in the future.  

• I agree completely 2

She does raise an interesting point, not only as far as the vaping fumes go, but also whether the vape is an accurate indicator of how far moisture laden breath spreads anyway.

• I agree completely 1

That's how to become a scientist.  Always asking questions.  You will never learn if you don't ask

My theory, is whether its vapour, smoke, or non-smoker, but the old saying is always right:

"Coughs and sneezes spreads diseases":D

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2

coughs and sneezes expel the air with some force, which is why we have the 2m rule, although it is said that 1m is sufficient. The vapour from vaping is breathed out quite slowly , therefore keeping your distance should IMO pose no threat at all.

• I disagree 1

3 minutes ago, joanie said:

coughs and sneezes expel the air with some force, which is why we have the 2m rule, although it is said that 1m is sufficient. The vapour from vaping is breathed out quite slowly , therefore keeping your distance should IMO pose no threat at all.

Try walking behind someone playing Thomas the Tank Engine....the sickly stench is worst than tobacco.
Aside from the thought that projectiles might or might not be involved, the sheer notion someone is deliberately aggregating their lung linings at a time that a virus, which attacks the lungs, is widespread, beggars belief.

• I agree completely 2

...and I still don't know the answer to the question:  Why did everyone buy toilet rolls in bulk at the beginning?:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

...and I still don't know the answer to the question:  Why did everyone buy toilet rolls in bulk at the beginning?:lol:

When I asked that question I was told it started in Australia. Apparently they don't make toilet rolls there but buy from China so when the problem started in China the Australians panic bought. Someone put it on Facebook and it spread here with people not understanding the difference between the UK and Australia's supply.

Of course that explanation could just be a lot. 

• I agree completely 1

8 hours ago, Silversurf said:

Raised by one of my older grandchildren in asking " Is there any chance of someone with Covid spreading the virus in the clouds of smoke from  their vaping ?"

Her thinking behind it is, that most smokers appear to inhale the smoke deeply into their lungs where there can be greater concentrations of virus, with possibly the ability of the virus attaching to the exhaled particles, as with coughing, sneezing, shouting and as she states the quantity  of smoke produced by  vapers far exceeds that for conventional cigarette smokers.

So she's off at the moment researching the weight of a single Covid virus and the weight of single vaping particles to see if this could be possible.

I envisage many more questions as she progresses.

She's a pain in the proverbial 13 year old sometimes.............................. but she does have these moments.😁

I read some research over the weekend that a study had been conducted in to how far droplets of virus can travel and the results were interesting. Virus particles, that can carry enough viral load to be an issue are quite heavy in a relative perspective. In normal, non sneezing or coughing situations these droplets simply fall almost immediately to the floor or stay on the face/clothing of the person who expelled it making the 2mtr rule completely overkill. If you are coughing or sneezing then you shouldn’t be out. The conclusion was that most transmissions will be from contact with infected surfaces or very close personal contact within say family environments. Therefore the most important message is to wash your hands and keep washing them.

• Like 2

The 'smoke' from vaping is a cloud of tiny droplets, a bit like the haze from a deep fat fryer or frying pan, so I think it's a real possibility that a vaper could transmit the disease.  And as exhaled smoke came from the lungs it can get into someone else's lungs.  I remember years ago reading an explanation of why spectacles get smeary on the inside when frying - it's because the hot oil mist goes up and then rains down on you, landing on the inside of your glasses!

13 hours ago, Silversurf said:

That is a very valid question to which I have no answer but with that thought in mind I will now be more wary of people vaping. We could all benefit from a definitive answer from our "government experts".

Gordon.

13 hours ago, Silversurf said:

As a vaper myself, I'd be very interested in her findings.

9 minutes ago, Gordon said:

That is a very valid question to which I have no answer but with that thought in mind I will now be more wary of people vaping. We could all benefit from a definitive answer from our "government experts".

Gordon.

I've always been wary of those that smoke or Vape - horrible stuff to walk through or have blown into your face but I suspect that as Vaping produces a very fine mist it has the potential to affect others a lot more than just smoke

• Like 1

For the record, my device does not produce huge clouds of smoke, and I do not use highly flavoured liquid so it has very little smell. I only smoke where smokers are allowed to smoke, and I do not blow it in people's faces.

I am particularly interested in whether these activities could adversely affect those in the vicinity, and if so how to minimise the risk if vapour is being blown into the air. I have smelt someone vaping in a car I am following in my car, so if there is a risk it can presumably influence people much further than 2 metres away - and that is a potential worry.

1 minute ago, Hort2074 said:

For the record, my device does not produce huge clouds of smoke, and I do not use highly flavoured liquid so it has very little smell. I only smoke where smokers are allowed to smoke, and I do not blow it in people's faces.

Regardless, your device produces smoke that contains moisture from your breath, which unfortunately people will have no choice about walking through if you vape in public.

1 minute ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Regardless, your device produces smoke that contains moisture from your breath, which unfortunately people will have no choice about walking through if you vape in public.

I'm not arguing that. I was merely clarifying that whilst I do vape, I'm not one of these that looks like a steam engine with clouds of smoke billowing out of my car window. 

I'm fully aware what my device produces, and as previously mentioned, I try and vape as responsibly and socially acceptably as I can.

And for the record, my device does not produce smoke.

9 minutes ago, Hort2074 said:

I'm not arguing that. I was merely clarifying that whilst I do vape, I'm not one of these that looks like a steam engine with clouds of smoke billowing out of my car window. 

I'm fully aware what my device produces, and as previously mentioned, I try and vape as responsibly and socially acceptably as I can.

And for the record, my device does not produce smoke.

You can be as pedantic as you like but your device produces an output that other can inhale!

• I agree completely 1

cigarettes  contain 4000 chemicals, so it's no wonder people get lung cancer. If you smoke it is safer for you to vape, if you don't smoke it's dangerous for you to vape as vaping still contains chemicals , although not as many, but you can still suffer and  as with cigarettes it can still cause illness through passive smoking. Like I said earlier , keep your distance.

• I agree completely 1

Im also a vapour and like many,I only smoke it in places where it will not annoy or (infect) others.

Im certainly no expert but I would imagine that any droplets exhaled from the lungs,would fall to the ground within,say,a couple of metres after leaving the mouth.

Im not sure if the aid of the "vape smoke"would carry it any further.

As I said....im no expert.🤔

4 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

You can be as pedantic as you like but your device produces an output that other can inhale!

I think I was pretty respectful in my response to you.

You can be as dismissive as you like, but what you said was factually incorrect, and wrong. 

• I agree completely 1

The 'moisture' in your breath  is gas - water vapour - and it can not carry particles.  Several members have already said this to refute the myth.

Apart from nicotine (which is relatively harmless, like caffein), and food flavouring, the major components of vape liquid are vegetable glycerin (VG), and propylene glycol (PG), the latter is used as an additive in food and medicines.

So when this stuff is evaporated (vaped), smoke it definitely isn't.

As to how much virus the vape can transport it would certainly be worthwhile of some scientific study, rather than conjecture and speculation on a caravan forum.

And yes, I'm a vaper, but not a "cloud chucker".  After 50 years of smoking rollups I took up vaping 4 years ago and haven't had a cigarette since.

• I agree completely 1

24 minutes ago, kelper said:

The 'moisture' in your breath  is gas - water vapour - and it can not carry particles.  

Water vapour carries moisture otherwise it would not condense to a liquid on a cold surface, such as condensation in the caravan.

If it is moisture then it can carry particles!

8 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Water vapour carries moisture otherwise it would not condense to a liquid on a cold surface, such as condensation in the caravan.

If it is moisture then it can carry particles!

But, but, I thought it was smoke?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1