We are now permently in Portugal, there are a few ways get television out here one way is internet this alright but can be tiresome.

we have a sim at 30€ per month supplied by NOS one of the main mobile phone companies, this is in a mifi unit of unknown make but supplied by Vodafone last year, we have found by placing this in the rooflight we get a better connection but still drops out often. We are wondering if we purchase Netgear M2 mifi or a Motorhome wifi 4G antenna both costing £300 plus would get a better connection? Or purchasing a cheaper mifi unit help us at all? 

As a cheaper option you could try a TP-Link MR6400 4g router (@£70) and connect to an external aerial (Poynting 4g-XPOL @£60) for better reception. If possible set it all up in the awning so not inside your tin box faraday cage for better reception and to save routing the aerial cables inside. I have this setup in our caravan permanently setup and it works perfectly. However, I also have a Netgear Nighthawk M2 for when I am traveling with work. This is a fantastic piece of kit but expensive. Mine lives in the car as a mobile Wi-fi hotspot.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Coastline said:

We are wondering if we purchase Netgear M2 mifi or a Motorhome wifi 4G antenna both costing £300 plus would get a better connection?

Motorhome WiFi are mainly a reseller with a big mark up.

You can get the same stuff from broadbandbuyer.com or Amazon at about half the price. As madasmad says you need a MiFi that will accept the leads from an externally mounted 4g antenna (2 External TS9 MIMO antenna connectors). Check yours to see if this is already the case. If you need to buy a new one not all have the external aerial option so be careful. 

I use a Huawei MiFi  with TS9 sockets ( eg Huawei  E5785-4G available on Amazon for  £88) with a window mounted external aerial (NETGEAR 6000450 MIMO 2 TS-9 Antenna available on Amazon for £32). You will of course need to have a 4G signal outside the caravan which sounds lke you do.

As said above the best thing to help your signal problems  is with an external antenna, mounted as high as you can get it. so you need a MiFi unit with external antenna inputs - I've read good reports about the Poynting  4g-APOL4g - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poynting-4G-XPOL-A0001-Cross-Polarised-Antenna/dp/B00C1DGFPS  These will usually give you a significant improvement where your reception is marginal but nothing will guarantee a decent signal if your are in a very poor location. Be wary about getting a directional antenna though, these can often be more difficult to set up

You can buy the identical stuff without all the Motorhome/Caravan/Marine  mark-up from companies like Solwise,  Broadbandbuyer or even Amazon and save yourself a lot of money.  You'll also need a couple of SMA-TS-9 adapters to connect the SMA antenna cables to the TS-9 sockets on the MiFi unit.

• Like 1