Sign in to follow this  
Babstreefern

Swiss Farm Touring Park

Swiss Farm at Henley-on-Thames is re-opening on 4 July.  That's ok, but wonder if we drive to it?  Its only a month away

They mean provisionally opening on the 4th

This is what's happening and why it can be so confusing.  Do you go, or not?  They either say they are opening or not.  The only thing stopping them is what the Government states.  Why do they not hang fire, and just wait until they are given the go ahead, and not take bookings until they are cleared to open.  It really beats me.  They will be unindated with calls, both phone and emails, for bookings, and they may still not open

Its exactly the same in France. They have declared an opening date because the government has announced it publicly, but have no idea what if any facilities will be available and therefore whether touring pitches will actually be useable. This is because the camp sites dont know what the social distancing and sanitiation rules will be yet. If you book a French site you may be told the facilities are all out of use, and you wont get your deposit back, just a credit not (may be). 

• I agree completely 1

Also, is essential driving still only permitted?  If so, this stops us in our tracks

1 minute ago, Babstreefern said:

Also, is essential driving still only permitted?  If so, this stops us in our tracks

If ‘essential driving only’ is still a restriction, it’s being chronically ignored by a high number of people.  I drove 8miles to a favourite garden centre last week to get ‘essential’ plants and compost.  The issue is not going far enough that you need to stay overnight...because that is currently still not permitted. By July that will be lifted anyway.

I dont think that essential driving only applies anymore.

Although the fewer journies you make...the better.

I totally agree.  If the police stop me on my way to visiting my mother, who lives in a care home 20 miles away, so I can see her, albeit through the door, then I can get done.  I've not seen her since mid-March.:(

10 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

In Wales we are going nowhere, we are still in Lockdown and think the Welsh Government has got it right, we are only allowed to travel 5 miles to see family, our nearest family is 18 miles away, snookered 

11 hours ago, Les Medes said:

In Wales we are going nowhere, we are still in Lockdown and think the Welsh Government has got it right, we are only allowed to travel 5 miles to see family, our nearest family is 18 miles away, snookered 

I have a solution - you drive 5 miles towards them then walk for 4 miles. They do the same in your direction and you get to meet in the middle lol. You do then have another 4 miles walk back to your car though. 😂

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Well my niece drives from Cardiff to Bristol and back  three days a week for work. No problems!

Edited by PR1

My problem regarding Swiss Farm is now solved.  The reason I was going here was to attend a wedding on 1 August in Windsor.  Wedding has now been cancelled until next March.  I can now relax.  I'm now off to Oxon Hall in Shrewsbury, a mere two hour journey.  I had to do this first as I've not towed a fully laden caravan before, so its a dry run as it were.  So pressure is now off:D

The new, although slight problem, is my grand-daughter's wedding in Windsor, and then two months later my other grand-daughter has her wedding being held near Harrogate.  Its all rush, rush, rush:blink:

12 hours ago, Glen and Les said:

I have a solution - you drive 5 miles towards them then walk for 4 miles. They do the same in your direction and you get to meet in the middle lol. You do then have another 4 miles walk back to your car though. 😂

Have you been on the dual carriageway between Carmarthen and Pont Abraham recently, it's like a race track, lunatics taking advantage of light traffic, ( that's what I've been told,)  so, I would not drive along it and certainly would not walk but thanks G & L for you kind suggestion, hope you are safe and well in these trying times

7 hours ago, Les Medes said:

Have you been on the dual carriageway between Carmarthen and Pont Abraham recently, it's like a race track, lunatics taking advantage of light traffic, ( that's what I've been told,)  so, I would not drive along it and certainly would not walk but thanks G & L for you kind suggestion, hope you are safe and well in these trying times

We have said that traffic seems to be almost back to normal. We shop for Les’s 90yr old Mother and make an 8 mile journey, one way, to deliver her goods. At the start of the pandemic we hardly passed another car, now it seems to be back to normal. We are both well, thanks, doing a bit of cycling and walking from home, but longing for the time we can get away in the van. Should’ve been off to France next week, but hopefully next year now. Stay safe.

Glen & Les.

On 01/06/2020 at 21:22, Babstreefern said:

I seem to recall you have mentioned this before, and the effect of it not allowing you to visit your Mum.

You can drive any distance to exercise/spend time outdoors and I am surprised that you cannot see a way to do what you want to do, see your Mum, without any bending/interpreting of the current guidance.

On 01/06/2020 at 22:14, Babstreefern said:

I totally agree.  If the police stop me on my way to visiting my mother, who lives in a care home 20 miles away, so I can see her, albeit through the door, then I can get done.  I've not seen her since mid-March.:(

As above, done for what?

It is quite normal for people to quote the 'rules' despite the fact that people ignore rules all the time.

Obviously rules that can help you prevent catching the virus are very important but it seems that many comments do not stand close scrutiny.

7 hours ago, Glen and Les said:

We have said that traffic seems to be almost back to normal. We shop for Les’s 90yr old Mother and make an 8 mile journey, one way, to deliver her goods. At the start of the pandemic we hardly passed another car, now it seems to be back to normal. We are both well, thanks, doing a bit of cycling and walking from home, but longing for the time we can get away in the van. Should’ve been off to France next week, but hopefully next year now. Stay safe.

Glen & Les.

We arrived in the Dordogne on Monday for a month, that was our plan, we think we will give Europe a miss this year, we have not left the house apart from a little exercise as we had a call from our GP on day one to tell us we must self isolate due to us both having health issues, so our next door neighbour has been doing the shopping for us, it's very strange 

• Like 1