Allan Guest

Gas Light Refills

Hi All,

Trying to plan ahead for the day we are able to go away in the van and decided to check the price of a refill for my 10kg Gaslight cylinder. I had one last year from the local Flo Gas outlet , which had bought out my usual supplier.

Last year the cost was just over £29. Todays price is £45.74!! When I expressed surprise the guy said that it was due to increased demand and price rises.

I have had a quick look online and there does not seem much choice-Homebase are quoting £88 for a refill-so wondered if anyone can make as suggestion as to alternatives, either suppliers of refills of change of cylinders?

I have a 6kg propane with clip on connection, that is used with a gas BBQ, but they said that is now withdrawn so, again, any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Consider Safefill. But you do need to check availability of filling points in your area

The cheapest long term solution would be to get a re-fillable cylinder and use autogas.

The local refill cost of a 6kg propane is £22, a 11kg  is £28 so your guy appears to be a rip off and autogas, like petrol and derv have dropped noticeably in price.

20 minutes ago, Allan Guest said:

Hi All,

Trying to plan ahead for the day we are able to go away in the van and decided to check the price of a refill for my 10kg Gaslight cylinder. I had one last year from the local Flo Gas outlet , which had bought out my usual supplier.

Last year the cost was just over £29. Todays price is £45.74!! When I expressed surprise the guy said that it was due to increased demand and price rises.

I have had a quick look online and there does not seem much choice-Homebase are quoting £88 for a refill-so wondered if anyone can make as suggestion as to alternatives, either suppliers of refills of change of cylinders?

I have a 6kg propane with clip on connection, that is used with a gas BBQ, but they said that is now withdrawn so, again, any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

£88 isn't the refill price. It's the price for a new bottle I'm sure you'll find. It's around half that for a refill.

John

Posted (edited)

I've been using GasLight ever since it was introduced and it used to be cheaper that Calor per kg but it does seem that FloGas are now taking the mickey pricewise. It looks as though £45 for 10kg is about the going rate at the moment. You have to add another £49 if you dont have an empty one to return (thats FloGas prices)

We would try and get our refills when Homebase were having one of their 15% off days and it worked out to be really cheap but our nearest Homebase is 20 odd miles away. 

We don't use a lot of gas, a refill usually lasts about three years so even at £45 it's not really a major problem although I might be tempted to get out my 6kg Calor Propane cylinder and get it re-filled.  We've still got half a cylinder full in the van and a kg or two left in the second one for the BBQ  so there's no urgency for us at present (we aren't going anywhere)

Edited by matelodave

Posted (edited)

I passed a BP garage a couple of days ago and their gas price was 55p per litre.

1kg of propane = 1.96 ltr

So your 10kg = 19.6ltr x 55p = £10.78 to fill.

6kg = 11.76ltr x 55p =£6.46 to fill.

The guy in the first post who quoted £45.74, must be after buying a new Rolls Royce.

Edited by Silversurf

1 minute ago, Silversurf said:

I passed a BP garage a couple of days ago and their gas price was 55p per litre.

6kg = 11.76kg x 55p =£6.46 to fill.

The guy in the first post who quoted £45.74, must be after buying a new Rolls Royce.

Suppose so, but you do have to layout about £150 up front before you can get these amazingly cheap gas prices and you have to find a place that sell the gas.

BTW has anyone had a Safefill cylinder that's gone over it's 10 year certification - do you have to get it replaced or re-certified and if so how much does it cost - or don't you bother and just carry on regardless and hope that no one notices :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Not bought any Flogas this  year but I found the best way is from Flogas on line or on phone for best price and they deliver free.

• I agree completely 1

https://www.flogas.co.uk/shop/category/flogas-gas-cylinders so that is their normal retail price for a refill and makes Calor seem cheap ;)

https://www.calor.co.uk/lpg-prices but those are suggested prices from Calor...  Morrisons charge £36 for a 13kg Propane - 50p more than published!  Son, working for them currently, got 15% staff discount off that for a refill.

It is often worth phoning round local lpg retailers to find stock and get price.

7 hours ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

Consider Safefill. But you do need to check availability of filling points in your area

Have considered safefill some years ago, and again last year-there were no LPG filling points within 35 miles at first and nearer 50 last time I checked.

5 hours ago, matelodave said:

It looks as though £45 for 10kg is about the going rate at the moment.

That's what I was finding but thought it worth asking.

5 hours ago, Silversurf said:

6kg = 11.76ltr x 55p =£6.46 to fill.

As above circa £45 seems to be the norm now, compared to £29 last year.

5 hours ago, matelodave said:

Suppose so, but you do have to layout about £150 up front before you can get these amazingly cheap gas prices and you have to find a place that sell the gas.

That the problem, its a lot to lay out and for the amount we use normally and not worth the faff of trying to find somewhere convenient to fill up.

I switched to Gaslight due to the weight saving and looked closely at Safefill a few years ago but the fill points are rare to non existent in Cornwall.

Have a couple more places to try but looks like it may be paying Flo Gas and getting it delivered free, which saves a few quid on fuel as its a 62 mile round trip to pick up.

Thanks for all the responses.

2 hours ago, Allan Guest said:

As above circa £45 seems to be the norm now, compared to £29 last year.

The suggested retail price for a 10 kg exchange last year was £38,

The £29/28 as a suggested retail is going back a bit further than last year.

Like you, I had managed to get an exchange at about £29  from my normal dealer who  was closing down the business and selling off.

For the OP.

I assume you are referring to the Green/Cream plastic bottles!

Try B&M that has a garden centre. I had an exchange at B&M, 5kg for £25 a week before lockdown. I see on the internet 10kg exchange for £39.

10kg will fit in a Swift & Eccles gas locker, as I have 5/10kg bottles.

9 hours ago, David P said:

For the OP.

I assume you are referring to the Green/Cream plastic bottles!

Try B&M that has a garden centre. I had an exchange at B&M, 5kg for £25 a week before lockdown. I see on the internet 10kg exchange for £39.

10kg will fit in a Swift & Eccles gas locker, as I have 5/10kg bottles.

Hi, thanks for that. I did try to get a price but the B&M website had no info and the phone line just sends you round in a circle.

I am sure that I had seen a banner near their store re gas, hence the phone call, so will call today whilst doing some shopping.

6 minutes ago, Allan Guest said:

Hi, thanks for that. I did try to get a price but the B&M website had no info and the phone line just sends you round in a circle.

I am sure that I had seen a banner near their store re gas, hence the phone call, so will call today whilst doing some shopping.

It might be only stores that were Homebase that have them, mine was and the prices were good last time I wanted one.

9 minutes ago, David 38 said:

It might be only stores that were Homebase that have them, mine was and the prices were good last time I wanted one.

We do have such a store but today will be shopping where there is a Homebase and a B&M so should at least be able to get prices.

Hi All,

Ok, so just checked with the only viable Safefill filling outlet, some 48 miles away but in an area that I regularly visit, and their LPG is 79p/litre-the lady said "its expensive as we use Calor".

This makes a 10kg cylinder £15.48 to refill, so saving £30 on each fill. However, the cylinders are app £180 so that's 6 fills even to get to a break even point and, as we use the van now, that would likely take at least 5 years to get to so will just have to pay up and look big!

At the moment the cheapest option is steel cylinders, with an 11kg best value at £3.03/kg with the 6kg at £4.32/kg ,but the advantages of the Gaslight mean I will likely stick with it.

79p - that's expensive. My nearest outlet for Safefill is a Morrisons which was priced at 58p early this year.

On 01/06/2020 at 11:51, matelodave said:

BTW has anyone had a Safefill cylinder that's gone over it's 10 year certification - do you have to get it replaced or re-certified and if so how much does it cost - or don't you bother and just carry on regardless and hope that no one notices :rolleyes:

I also would like an answer to this question.  

At present it would take us an awfully long time to recoup the outlay required to purchase a Safefill cylinder, much longer than ten years.  B)

23 hours ago, KnausCol said:

79p - that's expensive. My nearest outlet for Safefill is a Morrisons which was priced at 58p early this year.

Yes it is-as the lady said when she told me! Morrisons is referred to as a "refill partner" and my nearest is 72 miles away so not an option.

Also looking on tinternet suggest that Safefill cylinders are currently in the same place as all the rocking horse poo.

So, visited closest Homebase to be told they do not stock LPG and then B&M who do and their price for a 10kg refill is £42.99 so would probably use them, as the other Gaslight suppliers charge the same as Flo Gas £45.74, except that there is no way to check if they have any stock before visiting meaning that the Flo Gas free delivery service then makes sense.

Having just read over this to check I am asking myself why am I worrying about such a minor issue?!!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Allan Guest said:

Yes it is-as the lady said when she told me! Morrisons is referred to as a "refill partner" and my nearest is 72 miles away so not an option.

Also looking on tinternet suggest that Safefill cylinders are currently in the same place as all the rocking horse poo.

So, visited closest Homebase to be told they do not stock LPG and then B&M who do and their price for a 10kg refill is £42.99 so would probably use them, as the other Gaslight suppliers charge the same as Flo Gas £45.74, except that there is no way to check if they have any stock before visiting meaning that the Flo Gas free delivery service then makes sense.

Having just read over this to check I am asking myself why am I worrying about such a minor issue?!!

I'm really fascinated with all the whinging about the price of gas when you compare it with the cost of the outfit (car & van and insurance) the costs of taking the van abroad (ferry, insurance, fuel, site fee's etc). Even in this country going away for a few weeks isn't ever so cheap. Then add in entertainment expenses etc whilst you are away, I consider that the cost of a cylinder or two of gas sort of pales into insignificance. :unsure:

Edited by matelodave
  • I agree completely 3

46 minutes ago, matelodave said:

I consider that the cost of a cylinder or two of gas sort of pales into insignificance. :unsure:

One or two, not so bad. Five or six starts to hurt. Or to convert that, the savings in gas can cover several nights

1 hour ago, matelodave said:

I'm really fascinated with all the whinging about the price of gas

Dave, Whinging , really?

I said that I had been quoted a price that was a 50% increase on the last refill and, did anyone have any suggestions.

In my last post I said that I wondered why I was worrying about such a minor issue, so I see that in the scheme of things this was a very minor issue.................but it is apparently one that fascinates you.

My comment wasn't aimed at you, so don't take umbrage.

It was a general observation about the fixation that some have about the price of gas which for most people is a very very small cost in comparison with the other costs that they are quite happy to pay - even compared to a meal out it's pretty low.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

My primary reason for going with a Safefill solution was not so much to save on gas but to allow refilling in Europe where you cannot get Calor cylinder exchange refills.

12 hours ago, KnausCol said:

My primary reason for going with a Safefill solution was not so much to save on gas but to allow refilling in Europe where you cannot get Calor cylinder exchange refills.

I went for Safefill too, as I can top up the cylinders before leaving for a long trip in Europe. Previously with Calor I had to either leave with a partly full cylinder or pay for an exchange with gas still in the cylinder to ensure I left with full cylinders. The cost wasn't so much the issue as convenience.