Sign in to follow this  
WildGoose

Are full hook up pitches (electric, water and sewage) common in UK?

Hi all :)

New member here. Myself and family (partner and 3 young kids) have just moved back to the U.K. from Canada. While in Canada we converted a school bus into a Motorhome and so coming back to the UK we are keen to get something else to do some travelling in around the country. We are looking at a caravan this time over a Motorhome as we feel it might be less complicated and easier on UK roads perhaps? But we don’t have any experience with either here. I did lots of camping holidays as a child but that was back in the 80’s and they were very basic! If my grandparents bought the porta potty along we thought it was luxurious. In Canada pretty much all state parks, even provincial ones, had full hook up pitches. Is it the same here? We are trying to judge what we need to look for in a camper, whether hook up electric and  what is called “city water” hook up in Canada but not sure what term for it here would be useful or if we would never be anywhere we could use them.

we aren’t that interested in big caravan parks with bars, entertainment etc. We’d be staying at small, local, family friendly places that allow fires.

thanks for any insight you can give :)

The sort of places I go will have hook up for electric usually very doubtful on fires would be allowed, why would one want a fire?

"Are full hook up pitches (electric, water and sewage) common in UK?"

In a word, "No"

BUT there are increasing numbers of pitches available with a water tap and EHU. Waste water provision is less common, and it is still the norm to take sewage (black water) to a communal 'elsan' point.  The alternative is if you book a 'super pitch' when all services can be provided at the pitch. We're still a way short of the RV parks you see across the pond.

I nearly always use serviced pitches which usually provide  on each pitch mains power, fresh water point, grey water point and less often satellite connection.  They always have central  facility to empty black waste.

If they offer 'fully serviced pitches' you should get an electric hookup, a dedicated tap for fresh water, a grey waste drain for water from sinks and shower if you have one fitted and probably a tv aerial and maybe a satellite connection. There won't be a sewer connection for a toilet, that will need to be emptied in a dedicated facility on site.

John

8 minutes ago, johntog said:

If they offer 'fully serviced pitches' you should get an electric hookup, a dedicated tap for fresh water, a grey waste drain for water from sinks and shower if you have one fitted and probably a tv aerial and maybe a satellite connection. There won't be a sewer connection for a toilet, that will need to be emptied in a dedicated facility on site.

John

We've stayed at Dornafield Touring Caravan Park a couple of times. Their fully serviced pitches have fresh water, grey water waste and an elsan point on every pitch. Am sure there will be a few others that offer the same.

There is also the fact that in the UK there are many sites that offer pitches with EHU, a water tap and very occasionally a grey water point but are on grass, not a hardstanding.

It would be interesting to hear of Wildgooses experiences in Canada if their ' full hookup pitches ' were only hardstanding, or some grass.

Grass pitches are great, till the old H2O does its work.

10 hours ago, David 38 said:

The sort of places I go will have hook up for electric usually very doubtful on fires would be allowed, why would one want a fire?

You obviously haven’t enjoyed autumn nights star gazing around the fire

• I agree completely 1

To the OP, serviced pitches are becoming popular even on CLs - Certificated Locations often on farms and the like for a maximum of five pitches. However although you are considering a caravan, if you do end up with a motorhome be aware that such sites - indeed many CLs - do not have waste water facilities for motorhomes or any such vehicle with an internal holding tank for grey or black water.

16 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

To the OP, serviced pitches are becoming popular even on CLs - Certificated Locations often on farms and the like for a maximum of five pitches. 

I'm only finding about 50 % of CLs have electric hook up.  If you ask owners without electric they tell me installation cost is too high so surprised other CL owners going further.

Anyway to me I find fetching water, grey water disposal into hedge and chemical toilet every 2/3 days in the elsan piont all part of caravaning.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, johntog said:

There won't be a sewer connection for a toilet, that will need to be emptied in a dedicated facility on site.

Not strictly true, the site we visit most often has a sewer connection on each pitch. 

Something I've never ever seen in all my years caravanning. 

• I agree completely 2

10 hours ago, JanandJay said:

We've stayed at Dornafield Touring Caravan Park a couple of times. Their fully serviced pitches have fresh water, grey water waste and an elsan point on every pitch. Am sure there will be a few others that offer the same.

Not quite the case.  The elsan points are only on Blackrock - Buttermeadow caters for more vans and does not have elsan points per pitch.

24 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Something I've never ever seen in all my years caravanning. 

It's brilliant, no carrying anything at all, I love it.

Each pitch has: -

EHU

Water tap x 2 (one for drinking / feeding the van, the other for washing down the brown waste).

Grey water drain

Elsan brown drain.

We feed mains into the van, the grey piped straight into the drain, makes it so easy.

We stayed on a site in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany which had some premium pitches that in addition to EHU, mains water and grey water drain, included a personal bathroom unit on each pitch containing shower, toilet and sink.

Now that is luxury, but does take away some of the 'essence' of caravanning :).

Wow, thank you for all the replies! I think what I’m starting to realise is that if we stay in proper caravan sites then the set up we installed on the school bus (an onboard water tank, grey tank and full hook up with ability to have mains water coming into the Motorhome) would be useful. With three young kids getting dirty being outside all day and creating lots of washing up, we found that the mains water in particular was really helpful. However, what we loved about Canadian sites was the remote campsites with secluded pitches, often amongst woodland or by lakes, and that each pitch always had a fire pit area.  Might sound strange to some but the campfire aspect of it is a huge thing for us, the kids love building them and we like sitting around outside taking our time cooking on them and then being outside into the night around them. It creates an atmosphere I suppose.  It seems like (please correct me if I’m wrong) in the U.K. to get that kind of experience you have to go to very small sites where everything offered is more basic and where full service hook up wouldn’t be used. Which is absolutely fine, just wanted to know in advance so we can choose the right caravan

10 hours ago, Silversurf said:

There is also the fact that in the UK there are many sites that offer pitches with EHU, a water tap and very occasionally a grey water point but are on grass, not a hardstanding.

It would be interesting to hear of Wildgooses experiences in Canada if their ' full hookup pitches ' were only hardstanding, or some grass.

Grass pitches are great, till the old H2O does its work.

In Canada, the “full hook up pitches” were generally hard standing. You might get some on packed earth but not grass you can sink into. A lot of the rigs out there are massive so they have to cater for that. It was a funny mix really - full service pitches in very remote, spacious settings but I suppose that’s what you get in a country that is HUGE and has a high space to population ratio. Sometimes in the provincial parks, pitches would just have electric but there would be a communal sanny dump going into the site where you could fill up water tank, and dump grey/black tanks (although we had a compost loo). Is that the same as an elsan point?

6 hours ago, David 38 said:

I'm only finding about 50 % of CLs have electric hook up.  If you ask owners without electric they tell me installation cost is too high so surprised other CL owners going further.

Anyway to me I find fetching water, grey water disposal into hedge and chemical toilet every 2/3 days in the elsan piont all part of caravaning.

If a CL does not have Hook-up we don't book it, down to Mrs M's hair ritual 

1 minute ago, Les Medes said:

If a CL does not have Hook-up we don't book it, down to Mrs M's hair ritual 

We do the same because of microwave.  It's a shame because rules out some good locations.

Microwaves and Hair dryers! Televisions? What has happened to camping? Hard standing pitches? Serviced pitches? Rules about groundsheets? Booking in advance? Paying per night?  We used to camp after a long day walking or cycling, where someone didnt mind us. We usually asked first and normally were welcomed. We would dig a hole in the ground for toilet, pitch a tent (if you had one) or just a bag. Water from a stream to wash, and a little fire for a cuppa. Some food - perhaps warm perhaps not.  Pidgeon or trout, and some cress for a treat Clean up before leaving in the morning. Loved it! 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Ern said:

Microwaves and Hair dryers! Televisions? What has happened to camping? Hard standing pitches? Serviced pitches? Rules about groundsheets? Booking in advance? Paying per night?  We used to camp after a long day walking or cycling, where someone didnt mind us. We usually asked first and normally were welcomed. We would dig a hole in the ground for toilet, pitch a tent (if you had one) or just a bag. Water from a stream to wash, and a little fire for a cuppa. Some food - perhaps warm perhaps not.  Pidgeon or trout, and some cress for a treat Clean up before leaving in the morning. Loved it! 

..aye and sawdust wi milk for brekky and  wi tripe from yer parents and for tea!

6 hours ago, SamD said:

Not quite the case.  The elsan points are only on Blackrock - Buttermeadow caters for more vans and does not have elsan points per pitch.

Hence why I said Fully serviced and not serviced pitches

• I disagree 1

2 hours ago, Ern said:

In the 70/80' when Mrs M had a perm we were away most weekends on a CL/Rally with no facilities, it's all down to fashion,believe me we are not softies and would love to go off grid but my precious is the most important thing to me, when she is happy, I'm happy, so hook-ups are a must

3 hours ago, JanandJay said:

Hence why I said Fully serviced and not serviced pitches

I don't buy that at all.  Fully serviced rather than serviced has a different meaning across the whole spectrum of sites and owners.  Fully can mean whatever the site owner decides it to mean.  I added the slight correction of your post because I thought it appropriate that members here should not think that all pitches on that particular site are the same.