Signature

Cars with Space saver tyres for Towing a Caravan.

Hi all,  we're considering our options about a possible suitable replacement tow car but are not keen on  'space saver' spare tyres so we were wondering what other members views are of these things to tow as a back up or perhaps have been supplied with a full size wheel because of the extra weight making them unsuitable whilst towing?

Incidently we currently tow single axle Swift 1420kg mptlm with 2016 Hyundai Tucson which came with a full spare but new models don't which is very frustrating.

Many thanks all. Matt.

As a space saver is really designed to get you out of trouble rather than tow the van from John o'Groat to Lands End then there is no real reason why one should cause you any problems. The idea being that you get the full sized running tyre sorted out as soon as possible rather than leaving a space saver on until it's worn out.

There's really nothing to stop you getting a full sized spare if you are all that concerned and then perhaps just carrying it with you when you tow. A previous tow car just had a Gunge-Pump so I got hold od a second-hand spare wheel with a half decent tyre which came away with us when we had the van hooked on.

It really isn't a dilemma to lose sleep over

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 1

This topic has been very recently discussed if you use the search you will find some opinions.

• I agree completely 1

Space saver tyres are supplied solely to save the manufacturer money & help fudge the pollution data. They were only ever intended as a solo get-you-home' option, & as such fulfill their purpose, up to a point.
They may be claimed to be ' suitable' i.e. capable for use on the driving wheels for towing but there is no way they can compete with a standard wheel & tyre as regards traction, safety or life.
They're severely restricted as to speed & miles when used solo so it does not take a genius to realise their drastically reduced limitations when used for towing.
I, for one, will avoid them like the plague (i.e. C19 in modern parlance).

I'd feel quite indignant to have to buy a spare wheel even a used one. Thanks for you're replies and I'll do a search for the post about this. Cheers!

When I worked for a German 'Car' company I asked the question of our transport dept , "Can I tow with a space saver". I never got a satisfactory answer, not even a yes or no! If the manufacturer doesn't know what chance do we have of getting a satisfactory outcome to the question?

Space savers or cans of goo reduce the vehicle weight thereby reducing fuel consumption! Thus reducing emissions.

23 minutes ago, Signature said:

I'd feel quite indignant to have to buy a spare wheel even a used one. Thanks for you're replies and I'll do a search for the post about this. Cheers!

Why ask the question then?

If you don't want one then it might limit your choice of towcar but it's entirely up to you. 

32 minutes ago, micktheshed said:

Space saver tyres are supplied solely to save the manufacturer money & help fudge the pollution data. They were only ever intended as a solo get-you-home' option, & as such fulfill their purpose, up to a point.
They may be claimed to be ' suitable' i.e. capable for use on the driving wheels for towing but there is no way they can compete with a standard wheel & tyre as regards traction, safety or life.
They're severely restricted as to speed & miles when used solo so it does not take a genius to realise their drastically reduced limitations when used for towing.
I, for one, will avoid them like the plague (i.e. C19 in modern parlance).

My understanding is that a spacesaver spare will maintain the performance of the vehicle in all respects other than  than speed and they have a limited duration  because they are only designed as a get you to a place of repair facility. Personally I don't have a problem with that. 

Spacesaver spares, or goo and pumps are clearly not everyones cup of tea but they have been introduced as weight/emissions savings measure in order to respond to customer demand for vehicles with the lowest possible running costs. As stated by @matlodave it is perfectly easy to equip yourself with a full size spare if that is particularly important. 

In my experience punctures occur so infrequently that I don't regard the provision of spare full size vs. spacesaver as an issue. 

• I agree completely 1

I think there are two types of 'space saver',the skinny type and one which is just slightly smaller than a full size wheel.

On our VW Passat Alltrack we have the latter,when it is on you would be hard pressed to tell the difference from the standard wheel going by the size ( by appearance yes as it is steel and the factory fit are alloys ).

There is no warning sticker on it advising lower speeds.

Ian

In the UK where a garage or tyre depot is not usually far away I have no issues with a space saver, goo not so keen.  

My car came with Run flat tires, and a can of mousse and a compressor. It says not to travel over 80 mph !!! I certainly don't do that speed with the Pegasus on the back. I think that with only 95 kg coupling weight  its no more than having 2 or 3 passengers in the car which I don't so what's the diff If I'm towing ? Anyway if you have good tyres the chances of a puncture are very rare these days ! If you worry about things like that , you'd never leave home !

3 minutes ago, James Donald said:

My car came with Run flat tires, and a can of mousse and a compressor. It says not to travel over 80 mph !!! I certainly don't do that speed with the Pegasus on the back. I think that with only 95 kg coupling weight  its no more than having 2 or 3 passengers in the car which I don't so what's the diff If I'm towing ? Anyway if you have good tyres the chances of a puncture are very rare these days ! If you worry about things like that , you'd never leave home !

I seem to average about five years between punctures. Enough to warrant some form of continuity planning.

Last time the AA came out and changed the wheel on a rally field and I was able to get it fixed at a time and place convenient to me.

When I’ve rented cars in Australia and NZ, I’ve always asked if they came with a full size spare tyre. They looked at me as if I was from another planet and said  something along the lines of ‘what a stupid question, every car comes with a spare in this country’. So, bearing in mind the cars I’m talking about are similar to UK models, eg Toyota Corolla, Hyundai i20, Opal Corsa, someone somewhere is having a laugh at our expense.

2 hours ago, Signature said:

We currently tow single axle Swift 1420kg mptlm with 2016 Hyundai Tucson which came with a full spare but new models don't which is very frustrating.

Hi Matt,

My personal view - I would NEVER buy a car I intended to tow a caravan with that had anything but a full size standard spare wheel and tyre. Similarly I would always carry a standard spare for the caravan too. If a particular car/caravan combination does not have a full size spare for each vehicle, it will NOT be on my wish list - it really is as simple as that.

Gordon.

• I agree completely 1

24 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Hi Matt,

My personal view - I would NEVER buy a car I intended to tow a caravan with that had anything but a full size standard spare wheel and tyre. Similarly I would always carry a standard spare for the caravan too. If a particular car/caravan combination does not have a full size spare for each vehicle, it will NOT be on my wish list - it really is as simple as that.

Gordon.

I suspect that this will result in you having a very short "wish list" in the near future!

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2

Our last car could not accomodate a full size spare even though it had a whopping great wheel well in the boot. The well was tapered unneccesarly presumably to make the pressing  easier with more draft and save sixpence.

I vowed that the replacement would have a full size spare. We chose a Tiguan 4Motion as the well appeared big enough when I measured it. After buying the aluminium wheel and new matching tyre I found I was 20mm short of depth for the tyre. I have modified the boot floor with the flat lid 20mm higher - not really an issue.  So, if the op wants a decent tow car to replace the Tucson, Tiguan's the man!

The “Tow car of the year” tests list the type of spare tyre/puncture repair equipment that comes as standard and whether they can be used for towing. One or two say not but most are okay.

Posted (edited)

My Porsche Cayenne only came with a compressor and gunk which I wasn't happy with. There is designed room for a deflated space saver under the boot floor (Ad Blue tank takes most of the space) so I invested in one as I regard this as an improved solution. Fortunately my experience is that punctures are rare enough to warrant not carrying a full size spare that would take up lots of boot room - Porsche wheels are massive!

As far as I know I would be ok to tow within the given limits of the space saver.

Edited by KnausCol

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

The “Tow car of the year” tests list the type of spare tyre/puncture repair equipment that comes as standard and whether they can be used for towing. One or two say not but most are okay.

My last car's( CR V  iDTEC) handbook stated specifically that the spacesaver should not be used when towing so I bought a full size spare (18")with a decent tyre from a breaker, cost me £200

Edited by terve

More & more cars don’t come with a full size spare tyre and fewer even having a space saver just to cheat the emissions test. This was a problem for me when I undertook a 3000 mile journey around Europe (without a caravan) last year in my car at the time - an BMW F11 530d - which had run flats but no spare. Tyre weld and other gunk is not recommended with run flats by BMW. I thought I would be ok as I had nearly new “premium “ tyres but I got a puncture in Austria on my penultimate day there before moving on to Venice. I called Green Flag and after a very long story it took nearly a week to get a spare meaning our trip to Venice was cancelled. The moral of this story is that I replaced the BMW, with this issue being one of the reasons along with size of vehicle for towing amongst other things. Personally I will never have a car without a full size spare (even if I have to buy it afterwards), preferably that has a dedicated place to keep it rather than using up all my boot area. I would never want to tow with a space saver though. My latest tow car comes with a space saver as standard so finding one that the original owner had specified a full size, with the other options I wanted, was somewhat of a challenge! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, madasmad said:

More & more cars don’t come with a full size spare tyre and fewer even having a space saver just to cheat the emissions test. This was a problem for me when I undertook a 3000 mile journey around Europe (without a caravan) last year in my car at the time - an BMW F11 530d - which had run flats but no spare. Tyre weld and other gunk is not recommended with run flats by BMW. I thought I would be ok as I had nearly new “premium “ tyres but I got a puncture in Austria on my penultimate day there before moving on to Venice. I called Green Flag and after a very long story it took nearly a week to get a spare meaning our trip to Venice was cancelled. The moral of this story is that I replaced the BMW, with this issue being one of the reasons along with size of vehicle for towing amongst other things. Personally I will never have a car without a full size spare (even if I have to buy it afterwards), preferably that has a dedicated place to keep it rather than using up all my boot area. I would never want to tow with a space saver though. My latest tow car comes with a space saver as standard so finding one that the original owner had specified a full size, with the other options I wanted, was somewhat of a challenge! 

Whilst I understand the issue, and had to buy a proper spare on ebay for my towcar (happily it fit the space in the boot), I suspect that full size spare wheel wells are shortly to be confined to history!

• I agree completely 1

14 hours ago, Stevan said:

I suspect that this will result in you having a very short "wish list" in the near future!

Yep. A previous towcar came only with a half size spare, so I rejected the spare and purchased a full size one, then had a metal mounting bracket manufactured to hold the wheel in an upright position in the boot area. I wouldn't do it again though, so that will be a lost sale for manufacturers who cannot provide a vehicle fit for purpose.

25 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Whilst I understand the issue, and had to buy a proper spare on ebay for my towcar (happily it fit the space in the boot), I suspect that full size spare wheel wells are shortly to be confined to history!

As per "madasmad" I also used to tow with a BMW 5 series (a 2016 520D) and the "spare wheel well" was full of electronic gubbins.  One of the things I hated about that car was the tyres, the run-flats gave a poor ride I.M.O and not many places kept them in-stock.

Last year my wife got a puncture in her Fiat 500C, that came as standard with a compressor and a can of glue.  Green Flag couldn't get it to work properly and ended up transporting her home.  Next day I purchased a spare wheel and jack set from eBay (they were an optional extra on the Fiat) and I vowed never to rely on a puncture-kit again.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

1 minute ago, Gordon said:

Yep. A previous towcar came only with a half size spare, so I rejected the spare and purchased a full size one, then had a metal mounting bracket manufactured to hold the wheel in an upright position in the boot area. I wouldn't do it again though, so that will be a lost sale for manufacturers who cannot provide a vehicle fit for purpose.

I find that a strange statement - Manufacturer's provide all sorts of vehicles for all sorts of purposes and surely it's up to the buyer to select a vehicle that suits his requirement's or the purpose to which it going to be used.

The provision or not of a full sized spare wheel doesn't make the vehicle unfit, even for a limited amount of towing. It is fit for the purpose for which it was designed.

Even the fact of a vehicles colour might make it unsuitable for some but it doesn't actually make it unfit, Likewise a Transit is fit for it's purpose of transporting goods but unless suitably adapted with seats it no good for transporting people.

Q: Who has benefitted from the motor industries move away from full size spare wheels?

A: The Motor Industry.

Q: Are any motorists who are driving cars without a full size spare better off?

A: No.

Q: Are any motorists who are driving without a full sized spare worse off?

A: Yes.

Q: Is the motoring industry bothered?

A: Does it look bovvered?

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 1